02-15-15 08:16 PM
139 ... 456
tools
    Definitely didn't see it being that hard or all the hoops to get android things running. More incentive for BB to get as much money as possible to the developers or figure out a way to make the runtime more efficient like getting notifications in the Hub, etc. I see now why the WWE App never worked on my Z10 or Passport. It probably needed google services to run. Learn something new everyday. Thanks to both of you.
    It's not hard. Actually it's easier for said companies this way. The costs of developing your own OS and ecosystem would make some companies leave the mobile space altogether (see Blackberry with BB10 doing very very poorly).

I also think that a world where every company would make their own OS would be bad because the major winner would be Apple. Developers would just gather on iOS because that's where the most revenue is. Everything else would be a disjointed mess in terms of service and app availability.

We, developers, don't really want more that 3 (4 at max) OSs to support because it would take too much time and effort to support every single platform out there.
    02-05-15 11:02 AM
    It's not hard. Actually it's easier for said companies this way. The costs of developing your own OS and ecosystem would make some companies leave the mobile space altogether (see Blackberry with BB10 doing very very poorly).

I also think that a world where every company would make their own OS would be bad because the major winner would be Apple. Developers would just gather on iOS because that's where the most revenue is. Everything else would be a disjointed mess in terms of service and app availability.

We, developers, don't really want more that 3 (4 at max) OSs to support because it would take too much time and effort to support every single platform out there.
    Why? Doesn't it paid? There will more firefox and tizen os

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 11:39 AM

Let me get this right, are you saying that "monopoly" by a single or couple platform is good? Do you truly realise the implications? Isn't it better if the market decides which OS and ecosystem is relevant at any point in time?
    02-06-15 07:45 AM
    Agree

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 07:46 AM
    Let me get this right, are you saying that "monopoly" by a single or couple platform is good? Do you truly realise the implications? Isn't it better if the market decides which OS and ecosystem is relevant at any point in time?
    The market has decided. And what the market has decided is that Blackberry is irrelevant.
    02-06-15 07:47 AM
    The market has decided. And what the market has decided is that Blackberry is irrelevant.
    Ain't you being too extreme? If BlackBerry was/is irrelevant as you claim, then why are you and all of us still on this forum discussing something that is purportedly "history".
    Just curious, what is your definition of "irrelevant"?

Oh, by the way, some businesses, leaders of G7 countries and consumers are still using and are reliant on BlackBerry OS. Developers should not be the only yardstick used for determining whether BB OS is relevant IMHO.
    02-06-15 07:56 AM
    Well, the market has decided and BB10 is under 1%. I didn't say which 3 OSs should be winners, I just said that the number of platforms shouldn't be too big. Having every OEM build their own OS would be a nightmare for developers and service providers in terms of money and time spent.

Also people make a mistake of considering Android a unified platform like iOS. The truth is that competitivity within Android manufacturers is very high and push the platform further. While they all run Android, Samsung's version feel different from HTC's or from LG's.
    02-06-15 08:09 AM
    BB haven't historically reported on sales per device, so we may never know the actual Passport numbers. Maybe someone will ask Chen a direct question in the ER call, and get a direct answer?

IIRC, BB didn't even report the sales of BBOS vs BB10 initially and it took an ER call question to discover.
    Yes, but if there will be a significant increase in sales, we can count the amount of increase as Passport (and maybe Classic sales). At least we would have some clue.
    02-06-15 12:03 PM
    Let's be honest with each other. BlackBerry won't surpass android and apple for the near future. Right now they are fighting to be number three. It's like they are a new company just coming out. They need to really focus on where they want to be. They say enterprise, but then Chen makes an argument about apps need to be coded for all platforms. It's either enterprise or consumer. Define your audience and market and build toward that audience.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 12:19 PM
    OP... yes BB10 has made significant progress in the 2 years since it was released... and the 5+ years they have been working on it.

The problem is that Android and Apple have both been improving their software also, and that the hardware used for their software is BETTER. And they both have full and official ecosystems. Officially BlackBerry's ecosystem isn't even their own....

If the Classic doesn't jump start sales of hardware (and indications are it isn't).... 2015 might mark the end of this short lived OS.
    Phone Guy 4567 likes this.
    02-06-15 12:45 PM
    OP... yes BB10 has made significant progress in the 2 years since it was released... and the 5+ years they have been working on it.

The problem is that Android and Apple have both been improving their software also, and that the hardware used for their software is BETTER. And they both have full and official ecosystems. Officially BlackBerry's ecosystem isn't even their own....

If the Classic doesn't jump start sales of hardware (and indications are it isn't).... 2015 might mark the end of this short lived OS.
    you think so???
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-06-15 12:52 PM
    Yes and no.

After spending a year with my z30 I decided to branch out and grabbed a new iphone and moto x. I'm convinced after using these other OS that BB10 is the most efficient os out there. The hub is the main culprit for this, as well as the gestures. Swiping up from the bottom is so much more convenient than having to swipe down from the top, especially with the size of some phones these days.

That being said the OS could be so much more. Blend is an awesome concept, and will only further help enhance bb from an efficiency stand point. Like so many others though I'm very frustrated by the little things bb doesn't do.

I hate that I can't find a contact by typing their name in the dialer. I know you can do a universal search but its something that should be there IMO. The voice recognition is not very good. Google's VR blows bbs out of the water. No Google now alternative. Google now is just about the only thing android offers that I miss when swapping between phones. The app situation never really bothered me much as I don't use that many. However, there are some specialized apps that aren't available or don't work that well (Navionics for GPS lake location, and lack of decent offline mapping software for hunting.) In the same vein, when they bundled the amazon app store, its almost like the bb10 app store took a major back seat. Would be nice to see BB make some investments to bring over more devs.

I realize BBs strategy right now is to right the ship by focusing on their enterprise market. My only issue with this is it seems like it's making their mobile market always work from behind. Remember when BB was this awesomely innovative always in front company? Now we're happy with little updates that add functionality that other platforms have had for a while... I would love to see them stop playing catch up and get serious about the mobile space again. I'm sure this will happen, it just takes time, and like all keyboard warriors I'm impatient.
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-06-15 01:03 PM

What can you add...? ;-)

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    02-06-15 03:44 PM
    Without question

Posted Via Classic SQC100-4/10.3.1.2072 CB10
    02-15-15 08:16 PM
139 ... 456