Happy birthday BB10!! Do you think that BlackBerry/BB10 has made substantial progress since the BB10 device launch 2yrs ago?

Personally, I think that BlackBerry/BB10 has made significant progress but still has a long ways to go, especially in the rough and tough terrain in which the company is operating.

What's your take?
    Last edited by wincyUt; 01-30-15 at 09:35 AM.
    01-30-15 08:53 AM
    Agreed. Come a looooong way but still needs work.

Bring OpenVPN to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    seascape likes this.
    01-30-15 08:58 AM
    I would say the BB10 has matured and the company is going through a rough path but can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    I am not sure that consumer wise the company has made progress. The passport was/is an interesting device that made people talk about Blackberry.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-15 08:58 AM
    BB10 yes I agree, but so has every other OS.

BB the company has stabilized financially and is doing ok, but BB the handset maker is doing pretty bad.
    kbz1960, TGR1, JeepBB and 5 others like this.
    01-30-15 09:00 AM
    Definitely yes.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-30-15 09:02 AM
    Totally.......agree.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    01-30-15 09:12 AM
    Not as fast as it need to.
    TGR1 and walt63 like this.
    01-30-15 09:16 AM
    Agreed. Come a looooong way but still needs work.
    Not as fast as it need to.
    '

Coming from BBOS, though BB10 has some nice new stuff, lots of stuff still missing yet.
    acovey and flyingsolid like this.
    01-30-15 09:21 AM
    For what is essentially a brand new OS, released by a brand that s largely despised, I think the progress is quite significant
    Yoox_II and OceanBerry like this.
    01-30-15 09:21 AM
    Improving with each update. Keep up the pace, continuing to add functionality, and more keyboard shortcuts.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    Saulii likes this.
    01-30-15 09:33 AM
    In my view BB10 has not reached its full potential and still lags behind IOS and Android. It always frustrates me to see small simple items missing from BB10, even functions from OS7 ! I think at 2yrs out, this OS should be functionally on par with any OS and yet it still lacks many common industry features (don't get me started on the Passport camera). As Blackberry fans, we tend to compare one BB release to the next, but what Blackberry should be doing is comparing it's next release to future IOS and Android releases.

Yes, BB10 has come along way and has many great features, but in it's current state, it will never compel IOS or Android users to switch en mass.
    01-30-15 09:49 AM
    Yup. It is a great OS. I really enjoyed the playbook OS and seeing how far they have gone with it is great, especially during all the chaos.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 09:49 AM
    In my view BB10 .... still lags behind iOS and Android.
    I'm trying to think of how? If you have any examples, I'd be curious to learn them.

I feel BB10 gives me more options and efficient ways to do things with my data.

I suppose if you want to do non-work things like cute pictures, video clips or games, then iOS and Android have the advantage.

I like it that way. I don't want BB to concentrate on play stuff, I want a BB to do work and get me through the day faster so I can play more afterwards.
    jimoates014 likes this.
    01-30-15 10:10 AM
    I think its come a long way........... phones,os and the company its self ok selling more phone could be better but fingers crossed that will get better this year
    01-30-15 10:11 AM
    IMO BlackBerry 10 is doing great. But still need do homework. Especially compared with windowsphone. Windows phone store significantly develops (new apps and updates).

Posted via CB10
    dolco likes this.
    01-30-15 10:28 AM
    Had 10.3.1 released by today. I would have definitely said yes !

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    01-30-15 10:44 AM
    I think the OS itself has made big strides forward.

Hardware took a big step forward with the Passport, but then backtracked with the Classic.

The ecosystem hasn't really made much progress at all, and most of us are still around thanks to the OS' improved ability to partly make up for this with better android app support.

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    01-30-15 10:48 AM
    In my view BB10 has not reached its full potential and still lags behind IOS and Android. It always frustrates me to see small simple items missing from BB10, even functions from OS7 ! I think at 2yrs out, this OS should be functionally on par with any OS and yet it still lacks many common industry features (don't get me started on the Passport camera). As Blackberry fans, we tend to compare one BB release to the next, but what Blackberry should be doing is comparing it's next release to future IOS and Android releases.

Yes, BB10 has come along way and has many great features, but in it's current state, it will never compel IOS or Android users to switch en mass.
    "Small simple items" like what? How is it not functionally on par with any OS and what common industry features does it lack? Are you sure you're don't have it the other way around 'cause there's a lot that I can do with my BB10 phones out of the box that I can't do or can't do as easily with phones running other mobile OSes.

A couple examples are running apps from more than one mobile OS, pairing Nintendo Wii Remotes and have them functioning in apps like Retroarch. Being able to do the same with USB gamepads. Being able to share folders from my PC and access files anywhere there's an Internet connection. Sharing files from within almost any app - For example the ability to just press and hold and share a music file that's playing over Bluetooth. The ability to share items on facebook as a private message as opposed to only on someone's timeline. Being able to encrypt the device as well as the SD card, while still using the phone. Being able to use the same security features, example picture password, even with encryption enabled. The ability to take call notes with pictures and attachments included.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 01-30-15 at 06:05 PM.
    01-30-15 11:07 AM
    I think it has made a lot of progress since it first launched, though admittedly I think that 10.0 wasn't ready at the time it did launch (as I found the first real OS update fixed a lot of things that should have been there from the start). I also think BB has made more improvements to their OS than the competition did during most of that same period (they had more OS updates in the first year than any of the competition and they have done more in the last two years than MS has done in the last four years with Windows Phone).

While they have improved a lot of things, I still find that there are improvements they can make with regards to incorporating the remaining strengths that BBOS had (still waiting for full notification customization with holster profiles like the old phones had). With regards to how it stands against the competition, I don't think you can look at things on the whole and say one is better than the other but instead look at how things are by function. For example, I find that BB10 has the best virtual keyboard over iOS, Android (stock, Swype, SwiftKey), or Windows. Their quick settings menu for example is also better (more options, more customization) than stock Android or Windows (not sure about iOS). Their settings menu is probably more akin to Android with the amount of items that can be configured (both BB10 and Android are loads better than iOS or Windows). I still find the gesture based OS much more efficient than the competition though BB still has a lot of work to do to ensure consistency with how things work (sometimes settings are on the top menu, sometimes the bottom right).

I also like how BB sometimes comes up with their own answers to ways things work on the other platforms. I really liked the swipe to delete on Android and iOS and wished that BB had that. But when 10.3 came out, I found the quick actions in the Hub was a unique way to address the same need (quickly deleting emails) with more functionality making it a better method than the competition.

The only thing I find lacking (at least compared to when I'm running my Android phone) is that if we are now having to rely on Android for the bulk of 'consumer' apps, they still need to make improvements so that Android apps run more efficiently with less issues. Having owned a Passport for a while and seeing how much better Android apps performed with the quad core vs. my Z30, I think all new BB phones should have quad core if for no other reason than to run Android apps better. And while speed is one little gripe, there are I guess some improvements that need to be made to the OS to reduce issues (for example, using the BBC news app, once I open about three articles, they start coming up empty requiring a force closure of the app to get it working again... or optimizing the OS in such a way that BB Maps will open if the app requires to show a location on a map like with Yelp).

I also find that progress isn't coming out as fast as it did in the first year. This may be due to customizations of the OS for the Passport and Classic so hopefully they will pick up speed again as I found in the first year we had much more progress than in the last year (though to be fair, 10.3 and up involved UI changes that didn't exist in 10.0 - 10.2.1).

I'm curious to see what they will do with either 10.4 or if they rebrand as 11.0 or something else. In reality 10.3/10.3.1 was enough of a change (or as much of a change as the competition had with their whole number updates) that they could have done this already.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    01-30-15 11:40 AM
    Agree !

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 11:52 AM
    Not a useful question. Compared to what? The mobile industry is the one of the most fast-paced, competitive, well-financed markets to compete in. Agree or Disagree?
    walt63 likes this.
    01-30-15 12:00 PM
    It's hard to deny that the OS has made a lot of progress, but every time I think about this I can't deny that it has been fundamentally broken from the get go. There are a few very fundamental usage things that I tend to overlook because I am rather tech savvy, I think some of you do the same. I fell at this point these things will never be fixed and with recent moves to push Android apps and talks about app neutrality they are only digging themselves in deeper.

I am talking about the fact that there is inconstancy between the apps and the OS, apps BlackBerry has developed themselves even. Look at the Browser, BBM, and the Clock. On BBM the 'tabs' are all along the bottom, where the Clock and Browser have them in the left side menu. In the Browser the settings are in the right side overflow menu, the Clock and BBM have them from a swipe down. The Hub has settings from the top, but the actual settings are in the overflow, the tabs on the left. Facebook, Twitter, etc supposedly developed by BB don't look like Native apps, they look a lot more like iOS apps. I could go on and this would become a very large post, but I think you get my drift. Things are all over the place, this makes everything that much more confusing for some users.

Naturally, it is easy to see how pulling away from pushing Native development is only going to make this worse. So, yes, BlackBerry has made significant progress but it has also taken some significant steps back words. I feel we, the collective people of BlackBerry, tend to overlook this. I feel that it is a large part of the reason Apple is so popular. Fundamentally, you can't be moving forward if you are also moving backwards.
    01-30-15 12:02 PM
    I'm trying to think of how? If you have any examples, I'd be curious to learn them.

I feel BB10 gives me more options and efficient ways to do things with my data.

I suppose if you want to do non-work things like cute pictures, video clips or games, then iOS and Android have the advantage.

I like it that way. I don't want BB to concentrate on play stuff, I want a BB to do work and get me through the day faster so I can play more afterwards.
    Duplicate contacts issue. Not sure if that's been resolved. Kinda embarrassing for a supposed business/enterprise phone.

Posted from a D618
    extisis and BerryRipe like this.
    01-30-15 12:18 PM
    I wholeheartedly agree that BB 10 has matured a lot over the past two years. However, with that being said, BlackBerry still has a very long way to go and cannot afford to slow down, as the ever increasing competitive world of mobile OS’s is never-ending.
    01-30-15 12:44 PM
    Disagree.
    Lost app world (practicality dead), music and video - all gone. BBM channels is a failure. BBM money unable in one country. Bes 10 was a complete fiasco. Original bb10/playbook (astonishing tribe - what ever happened to them) developers did not understand what their BlackBerry customers. After two years, many important apps and features are still missing.

Their only options were to fix all the above issues (and the dozens I missed) or instead focus on there business clients still locked into bis/bes.

The software upgrades are at a snails pace.

Can't help but feel that the company has been downsized past the point of ever return with the only recourse is a sale.

I'm not all doom and gloom, but I'm angry at all the screw up from management.
    01-30-15 01:12 PM
139 123 ...