i don't own a computer and i'm not that versed.

Can i back up the data on my bb, including contacts, onto a computer and save that info on one of those small memory sticks?

i can use my work or library computers to do the backup but i don't want to leave my bb info on the computer.

Thanks for any help with this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-08 08:10 AM
    Yes, but you would need to install Desktop Manager on those computers.
    08-15-08 08:11 AM
    You cannot backup to a microSD

If you use some other computer you would need to install DesktopManager, perform the backup, save the backup.ipd file to some storage medium, uninstall DesktopManager
    08-15-08 08:14 AM
    Ok, cool.

Could i install desktop manager, do the backup and save onto the memory stick, then delete the desktop program?

So that when i needed to restore info onto my bb i could re install dt manager and take the info from the stick and load it onto the bb?

Thanks again!

08-15-08 08:15 AM
    Yes see my above post ^^^^
    08-15-08 08:17 AM
    I dont think she means micro sd bmc. I think she means a thumb drive? Like everyone said youll need desktop manager but most public pcs like the library will not let you install software on them, not sure about your work. Surely you have a friend with a pc that would let you back up once a week or so?
    08-15-08 08:21 AM
    Yes, i didn't mean save it to a memory card. But to one of those sticks...i have no idea what they're called. Lol

But i can use those memory sticks to save my backed up bb info on, right?

08-15-08 08:21 AM
    Yes, i didn't mean save it to a memory card. But to one of those sticks...i have no idea what they're called. Lol

But i can use those memory sticks to save my backed up bb info on, right?

YES!
    08-15-08 08:23 AM
    yes my back ups average 1,200kb so you could get several on one
    I dont think she means micro sd bmc. I think she means a thumb drive? Like everyone said youll need desktop manager but most public pcs like the library will not let you install software on them, not sure about your work. Surely you have a friend with a pc that would let you back up once a week or so?
    i can use my work computer. i don't want my info on my friends computers i'm really a private person.

i don't need to back up very ofter, i don't think. i tend to leave my settings, apps and things the same for months. Maybe a new contact here and there.

Not to pick, but for the price of an 8 gig memory card you can buy an older pc capable of backing up your phone, I see them all the time at garage sales and thrift stores,

08-15-08 08:28 AM
    If you are allowed to install Desktop Manager on your work computer and leave it there, then you can do the backup to that computer, copy the file to a memory stick (or similar) and then erase the backup file but leave Desktop Manager installed.

Actually, I think when it comes time to save the backup file, you may even be able to browse to the memory stick (sd card, etc) and save the file there, that way the backup file is never on your work (friend's) computer.
    08-15-08 08:45 AM
    Not to pick, but for the price of an 8 gig memory card you can buy an older pc capable of backing up your phone, I see them all the time at garage sales and thrift stores,

lol. no, i have the money for a new pc IF i wanted! i sold my laptop a few years ago because it's not mobile enough for my purposes. i don't like having alot of "stuff" to tie me down. it's a whole crazy philosophy of mine! lol
    08-15-08 09:01 AM
    If you are allowed to install Desktop Manager on your work computer and leave it there, then you can do the backup to that computer, copy the file to a memory stick (or similar) and then erase the backup file but leave Desktop Manager installed.

Actually, I think when it comes time to save the backup file, you may even be able to browse to the memory stick (sd card, etc) and save the file there, that way the backup file is never on your work (friend's) computer.
    awesome! got it! that's what i am going to do!

thanks to everyone for their help on this!
    08-15-08 09:02 AM
    also the backups are stored in a IPD format meaning your friend couldnt just open it and view your info. and I second fonebrkr you can pick up an old pc for under a hundred bucks.
    08-15-08 09:03 AM
    also the backups are stored in a IPD format meaning your friend couldnt just open it and view your info. and I second fonebrkr you can pick up an old pc for under a hundred bucks.
    oh, ok. that is good to know!

and, na, i move and travel too often for a pc. like i said earlier i don't like having a lot of things. my bb is all i need! and this candle. and that's all i need to too! the bb and the candle and this...etc
    08-15-08 09:14 AM
    lol. no, i have the money for a new pc IF i wanted! i sold my laptop a few years ago because it's not mobile enough for my purposes. i don't like having alot of "stuff" to tie me down. it's a whole crazy philosophy of mine! lol
    I admire your philosophy, i'm a bit jealous actually, so if you can get DM on a readily accessible pc, then a thumb drive and usb cable will get you through life.
    Also with a card reader you COULD save the backup as a file to your memory card,
    then you don't even need a thumb drive.
    08-15-08 09:17 AM
    i will look into that card reader you mentioned! thanks! i'm trying to go for the simplest solution as well. i need things that are tiny, easily portable.

as for my philosophy, my parents weren't too impressed with me when i sold all the stuff they'd given me over the years in a mass yard sale when i was 15! ha.

now i use ebay as my virtual yard sale! clear house, clear mind (maybe more money too)
    08-15-08 09:23 AM
    kinda like a blackberry gypsy....That HOT!
    08-15-08 09:51 AM
    kinda like a blackberry gypsy....That HOT!
    LOL. yes, a bit like that!
    08-15-08 11:06 AM
    What a great idea.

The first step will be to download the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and copy the file to your dongle.

Use that to install DTM on the host computer. Set your backup destination to the dongle and save your backup.

Un-install DTM and remove the dongle.
    08-15-08 11:13 AM
    What a great idea.

The first step will be to download the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and copy the file to your dongle.

Use that to install DTM on the host computer. Set your backup destination to the dongle and save your backup.

so you can save the Desktop Manager to the memory stick? that is even better.

If "dongle" is a word for the portable memory, i think i get it. would i need a certain memory stick or thumb drive (dongle)? or will any work?

very mobile! thanks!
    08-15-08 11:23 AM
    What a great idea.

thats a great idea Stoner! DM is just a bit over 25mb so thats good just dont install roxio you wont need it and its big and SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WWWWWWWWWWW
    08-15-08 11:42 AM
    Ok. Yay. i'll be working on this sunday! Thanks guys!

08-15-08 11:52 AM
    I have been calling them dongles for a long time, anything you hang from a compute port.

I have a 2Gb USB device. Plenty of room for everything you would ever want.

However, you need to save the downloaded file, not the resulting installed files. Plug into a host computer, use the downloaded file to actually install the software to the host computer.

Set the backup options to the dongle and your ready to rock!

2 Gb is big enough for nearly 2,000 backups.
    08-15-08 01:58 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD