anyone know when blackberry maps will be available in australia?
    05-01-08 11:42 PM
    I don't, but welcome 2 cb.

Have you tried Nav4All?
    05-02-08 12:02 AM
    It won't.

For various reasons, Research in Motion (RIM) have no plans to make BlackBerry Maps availble for Australia in the "foreseeable future"...

It's no big loss though - BlackBerry Maps is pretty bad, in fact it pretty much comes at the bottom of the list with regards to GPS-enabled applications for BlackBerry OS.

You would be much better off checking out Nav4All, which is completely free and offers full voice feedback/navigation - in some cases, it even offers more functionality than a high-end, stand-alone GPS system!

Just go to the following URL (address) using your BlackBerry's default Internet browser to download Nav4All for free:

Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!

Another free solution that you may want to consider is Google Maps, which offers similar functionality to the computer-based Google Earth...

Be aware that Google Maps does NOT offer GPS navigation - it WILL show you where you are on a map using GPS, but it will not provide navigation (ie. Turn-by-turn directions or voice feedback).

You can download Google Maps by going to the following URL (address) using your BlackBerry's default Internet browser:

Google Maps

Finally, if you are on Telstra and own a BlackBerry 8800, you can download Sensis' WhereIs Navigator, which is $15/month for unlimited use...

Some of the benefits include a simple interface that is driver-friendly; support for a broad range of POI (points-of-interest), including red light and speed cameras; voice feedback/navigation.

There should be an icon in your menu to download WhereIs Navigator (you'll need to get customer service to push it out to your device if it's not there).

All three GPS solutions above offer full support for Australia, though only Nav4All and WhereIs Navigator offer actual navigation and support for POI...

Personally I use Nav4All and have made use of it up and down the East coast of Australia (particularly Brisbane, Newcastle and on the Gold Coast) and whilst it's not perfect (what GPS system is?), I've found the accuracy to be almost as good as WhereIs Navigator, which is powered by Sensis!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 06:04 AM
    Welcome to CB and hello from Texas
    05-02-08 06:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD