02-24-12 10:42 PM
380 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Oh, actually, I can't promise that. There's no "only use wifi" setting for Slacker Radio, I'm just reporting that it works on my phone, which has no data plan. I assume it does use your data plan any time your phone disconnects from a hotspot. It may even prefer the data plan, I don't know.
    01-26-09 01:19 PM
    Oh, actually, I can't promise that. There's no "only use wifi" setting for Slacker Radio, I'm just reporting that it works on my phone, which has no data plan. I assume it does use your data plan any time your phone disconnects from a hotspot. It may even prefer the data plan, I don't know.
    i know.. that's a risk we all take when testing out to see if an app works right with our BB/wi-fi/service, so no worries, anyways couldn't get it work right on my BB but thanks anyways cause it works great on my PC
    01-26-09 01:39 PM
    Regarding Slacker errors, I got errors about how I already had an account, which didn't seem like an error since I had signed up and was trying to log in. And I had trouble getting the thing to play at first, but it eventually worked itself out. Also, it tries to get you to allow it to access phone information, but it works fine without it. I ended up having to use a new second account, but since those initial troubles, it's been fine. My favorite station so far is a comedy one I created full of Wanda Sykes, Kathy Griffin, et al.
    01-26-09 06:01 PM
    Couldn't you just go into Settings > Applications > Slacker > Connections and set Carrier Internet to Deny and Wi-Fi to Allow? Presumably you could do this with any other application to ensure it only uses wifi.

Company Network may need to be set to Deny as well, I don't know.
    Last edited by pdxuser; 01-26-09 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Additional note
    01-26-09 06:04 PM
    Regarding Slacker errors, I got errors about how I already had an account, which didn't seem like an error since I had signed up and was trying to log in. And I had trouble getting the thing to play at first, but it eventually worked itself out. Also, it tries to get you to allow it to access phone information, but it works fine without it. I ended up having to use a new second account, but since those initial troubles, it's been fine. My favorite station so far is a comedy one I created full of Wanda Sykes, Kathy Griffin, et al.
    well i might give it another try then, this time with patience

Couldn't you just go into Settings > Applications > Slacker > Connections and set Carrier Internet to Deny and Wi-Fi to Allow? Presumably you could do this with any other application to ensure it only uses wifi.
    yup yup it's like that already im just a little paranoid thnx anyways
    Last edited by BlackPearl890; 01-26-09 at 06:09 PM.
    01-26-09 06:05 PM
    NEW FREE INSTANT MESSAGING APPLICATION that works over wifi is Palringo... pretty badass, but i can't shut down the sounds whenever i receive messages...
    01-26-09 09:31 PM
    Palringo hangs on "Connecting.." for me, but check out Settings > General > Beep on new message to perhaps solve your problem.
    01-26-09 10:13 PM
    Hey, I finally got Opera Mini to work for me! After I went into the application permissions and disabled Carrier Internet, it worked!
    01-26-09 10:46 PM
    added:
    * instango
    *slacker radio

so far so good
    i'll be 100% sure once i get the bill and see no charges for internet, then i'll the THRILLED! lol! (i'll let u guys know....that way others can add with no worries )

thnx 4 the recommendations!!

*edit: (jan26)
    just uninstalled slacker radio only got it to play one song then kept getting different errors (i checked for solutions in forums & none worked for me)...
    installed SLACKER again and it works great, i guess the app hadn't installed right dummy me so anyways great app and really loving it right now!
    01-27-09 09:36 AM
    Palringo hangs on "Connecting.." for me, but check out Settings > General > Beep on new message to perhaps solve your problem.
    oh i didn't see that option haha... everything is so small, i think i'll increase the font to medium for this app...

have you registered for an ID on palringo?
    also, have you set the connection settings to wifi?
    there's no checkbox like the usual interfaces, but a string of codes you have to manually type in...

go to settings -> general -> advanced tab
    and then type the following in the custom connection string:

;deviceside=true;interface=wifi

also tick the "use custom connection string" box... hope that'll work for you... i didn't work for me last week, but all of a sudden it did
    01-27-09 10:25 AM
    Thanks, Palringo is working for me with the custom string. And I'm glad Slacker Radio is working for you, BlackPearl. I think it's my favorite app, aside from the browser.
    01-27-09 06:45 PM
    Thanks pdxuser!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 07:31 PM
    Dear users,
    IM+ can be set to work with Wi-Fi. Go to IM+ Settings -> Connection and select Use Wi-Fi interface.

Best regards,
    Irene
    SHAPE Services
    01-28-09 05:01 AM
    Holy cow, forget Slacker, go to flytunes.fm and download FlyCast! It's real streaming radio, with a wifi-only option, and it's totally free! It works on my Pearl, even though the Pearl isn't shown on its graphic of BB phones.

I'm a public radio junkie, and by doing a search for things like "BBC" and "public" I found real public radio stations to listen to, streaming live! So now I can fall asleep to the morphine-like soothing patter of the BBC World Service like the addict I am. I can also listen to 12 radio stations in my hometown. Plus, there are hundreds of pure music channels. I'm hooked.
    01-28-09 05:12 AM
    sorry if this has been asked before (although i did search) is there a twitter app that works JUST on wi-fi? so far twitterberry and blackbird dont seem to work
    01-29-09 01:35 PM
    I didn't find one. m.twitter.com is the best I can come up with.
    01-30-09 01:13 AM
    Ok thnx pdxuser!

01-30-09 09:19 AM
    does gmail work with wifi? if so how??

Also how do you get facebook to work?
    Last edited by chris215; 01-30-09 at 10:56 PM.
    01-30-09 10:50 PM
    Gmail only works in the browser, but that works fine for me. Just make it a bookmark. It's optimized for mobile devices, and it can keep you logged in, so it's easy to see your email quickly.

I haven't bothered with Facebook yet, but they do have a mobile site as well.
    01-31-09 02:10 AM
    The facebook app doesn't work over wifi only, so I use a launcher for the mobile site. You can get it here Blackberry Launchers
    Hope this helps!

01-31-09 10:51 AM
    So for mundu, I set loaded the ap and fired it up fine but I noticed that it auto uses the GPRS network when you are on AT&T

so I simply switched the default connection to wifi, now the ap wont start up

strange
    02-03-09 09:54 PM
    I'm also interested in knowing if the Bolt browser works with wifi only
    02-03-09 10:01 PM
    I'm also interested in knowing if the Bolt browser works with wifi only
    yeah, i think it works over wifi... but it's awfully slow... the mouse speed, that is...
    02-03-09 10:36 PM
    If your looking for weather, and gmail, you could always set up an igoogle account and set it to your homepage on your wifi browser. From there you can add weather updates... movie listings... and most imporantly your gmail. Then every time you open your wifi browser you get whatever you want.
    02-05-09 04:10 PM
    the first post needs to be updated a bit
    02-05-09 09:48 PM
380 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD