Download the last release Mobile GMaps and in the option check WIFI transport

have a fun, bye
    Thanks for the link, it does work on WiFi-only.
    09-12-08 03:24 PM
    I keep trying to get Google Maps to work over Wi-Fi only but I am still having problems.
    09-12-08 05:39 PM
    Pay attention gmaps is not google map

take a look:
    Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!
    ota:
    wap.mgmaps.com

bye
    09-14-08 08:03 PM
    LOL. Thanks for clearing that up. I needed that hit over my head --I've been a little off these past few days.
    09-16-08 10:56 AM
    I've always been very frustrated with the way T-Mobile limits one's use of the 8320's wifi connection without a data plan. With that being said, the Live Search Application by Windows is GREAT! After I downloaded it, it tried to install itself but was stuck at 'Testing Connection'.... at this point I was already in the mindset that this is just another app that can't utilize the wifi connection. After 4 attempts to connect, it told me "can't find data network"...blah blah blah, and I was just about to go straight to applications and erase it when I decided to check the options for the app (you can only go to options once the testing for connection fails)....from there I went to the Network Configuration settings, and boom! At the bottom, there's the option for 'Use only Wifi interface'.... and that's all it took. The app definitely takes away some of the disadvantages of not having a data plan, because now I have an app that can give me directions, weather, local listings, maps, and movie showtimes. Yea, it kinda sucks being tied down to a wifi area...but it's better than not having anything like this at all, and consequently having to go through the browser to get this info instead of having it all in one place. The app doesn't appear to be a memory hog, and is very streamlined....even though it's the same root company, it's not Windows Mobile-ish at all. Also, another outstanding and consumer friendly feature is the Voice Recognition or 'Speak' feature. If you're on the road or can't type for whatever reason, just press the Talk button and say what you need, and it recognizes it accurately within a matter of seconds, excellent. The one thing it lacks is in the map department, doesn't have a 'My Location' feature. But until Google Maps starts having more respect for wifi (without a data plan) this will do. And of course all the other features add to the overall value of the app in addition to it being a substitute for Google Maps. Much thanks/props to Rutenio for posting it.
    09-20-08 02:11 AM
    Update: Apps that now work on wifi are,

1. Gtalk
    2. Google maps
    3. Facebook app
    09-26-08 11:15 AM
    Google MAps works on wifi.... really? please can you tell me which release? thank you, bye
    09-26-08 02:56 PM
    I don't have Facebook/gTalk/gMaps on my bb, but since I read that it now works on WiFI I've been trying to install those apps but I just get pages that seem to be for other phones and not bb's.
    As an example, when I tried to install facebook, after agreeing to their terms of service I got something that said that users of WinXP SP2 on iExplorer needed to install the Activex Control...
    Any ideas of how I can get those apps installed? [I had installed facebook a couple of months ago without any problem]

I guess it was sending me to the page to "download it from your computer"... Is there an OTA link?

This is what I get when trying to run the Facebook on my Curve:
    You're currently on a service plan that does not supoort his application. Please contact your service provider for additional information or to upgrade your current service plan

gMaps it's not working either, it just stays on the first screen for ever.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by h4x0rmx; 09-26-08 at 03:56 PM. Reason: updates
    09-26-08 03:05 PM
    Update: Apps that now work on wifi are,

1. Gtalk
    2. Google maps
    3. Facebook app
    Do you have a data plan ADberry? I know that if you have the data plan that these apps can run off of wifi alone, but it seems like once you take the data plan off, there's no luck.
    09-26-08 05:22 PM
    Do you have a data plan ADberry? I know that if you have the data plan that these apps can run off of wifi alone, but it seems like once you take the data plan off, there's no luck.
    I used to when I was on the Tmo network a couple months back but now I dont because I dont get EDGE here Actually, my observation is that these apps can be "activated" with a data plan and even if you get rid of the data plan later they'll work on wifi. The FB app kind of surprised me though because it wouldnt work over wifi after I removed the data plan. Its either an updated version or then the .81 has made a difference.
    09-26-08 05:28 PM
    I used to when I was on the Tmo network a couple months back but now I dont because I dont get EDGE here Actually, my observation is that these apps can be "activated" with a data plan and even if you get rid of the data plan later they'll work on wifi. The FB app kind of surprised me though because it wouldnt work over wifi after I removed the data plan. Its either an updated version or then the .81 has made a difference.
    I guess I'm out of the game... I don't have a data plan!
    Please let me know if any of you without a data plan has success on using facebook/gMaps/gTalk
    09-26-08 05:34 PM
    I guess I'm out of the game... I don't have a data plan!
    Please let me know if any of you without a data plan has success on using facebook/gMaps/gTalk
    Well, there's a solution to your woes. Since data is a "service", Tmo charges data per diem so you can activate it today, download the apps, "activate" them over data and then get rid of your data service tomorrow. You'll only be charged for today and tomorrow which amounts to almost nothing and you'll have the apps working for you as well (hopefully!).
    09-26-08 05:40 PM
    Well, there's a solution to your woes. Since data is a "service", Tmo charges data per diem so you can activate it today, download the apps, "activate" them over data and then get rid of your data service tomorrow. You'll only be charged for today and tomorrow which amounts to almost nothing and you'll have the apps working for you as well (hopefully!).
    Nice... I shall try it... will they charge me with any activation/desactivation costs?
    09-26-08 05:45 PM
    Nope...its only a service. No hidden charges.
    09-26-08 05:54 PM
    On windows live, I can't get the gps to work over wifi. What is the problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 05:49 PM
    My problem is pretty insignificant compared to Warpriest's but when I look at the Weather in Windows Live, the condition icons don't load....you know, like the Sunny icon, or Cloudy icon, it just stays on the refreshing icon lol. Any ideas?
    10-09-08 06:21 PM
    I have the same problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 11:22 PM
    I have a Blackberry 8320 and I thought the VIIGO webpage said that it WOULD work with WIFI... but I cannot get it to work...I am nuts or what? <g>
    10-11-08 10:34 PM
    My Facebook app isn't working on wifi
    10-20-08 08:24 AM
    AWESOME new item:

BerryTune 4.5.6 (works with wifi only), you have to change the settings. Plays hundreds of streaming radio stations.
    11-20-08 11:14 AM
    AWESOME new item:

BerryTune 4.5.6 (works with wifi only), you have to change the settings. Plays hundreds of streaming radio stations.
    uuuu i gotta try that!! thnx!
    11-20-08 01:20 PM
    I'm rocking a Bold just upgraded to 4.6.0.162 with an "unlimited email" plan but with nightmare Roaming Data charges (think USD10 per mb). I'm about to spend some time traveling so I'm all over this before I leave.

Some apps I use & have tested/got updates for are :

Working
    Viigo (Project Tango Beta) - Set to BIS-B not Auto
    MSN Live Messenger - Default Install just works
    Twitterberry - set to BES or BIBS
    Nav4All - Automatic
    Opera Mini 4.2 - Tick "Wifi" in Settings

Not Working

Worldmate - pretty sucky for such a cool app that is designed FOR TRAVELERS! But to be fair I have just emailed their support to see if they have a solution & will advise if I get any joy.

All these were simply tested by turning the 3G Radio Off & leaving WiFi active. Your mileage may vary depending on your handset, carrier, data plan etc.
    11-29-08 11:18 AM
    Viigo on WiFi. Awesome! Thanks Repo.
    11-30-08 05:18 AM
    quick question, I have Rogers and I have an UL BIS email plan but I can still go online without wifi on to Windows Live Messenger, Opera Mini and the weathernetwork weather eye. Will I be charged extra data for these? I can't get online using the BB browser, but Opera mini works just fine.

As well, I have tried the GPS using Google Maps, and i can sometimes see a map loading of where I live, but then i try to zoom and then the map tries to reload but it can't load.

I turn on Wifi when I get home, and try to update google maps or BB maps, and says I need a data plan. So those are a no go.

Im getting a data plan on my next billing cycle in 2 weeks, how can I make sure I don't use all my data? Is there a way to turn off data but keep wifi?

BTW, im a BB n00b and a Bold user.
    12-02-08 12:26 PM
    <snip>

Worldmate - pretty sucky for such a cool app that is designed FOR TRAVELERS! But to be fair I have just emailed their support to see if they have a solution & will advise if I get any joy.

After talking to Worldmate Support, they advise that the app automatically chooses Wifi when available so this should still work. They confirmed my findings that the App errors out when the Carrier network is turned off & the Bold is working on Wifi only. They could replicate the problem & this "will be addressed in a future update".

Also, thanks to the earlier poster for the Tip Re PodTrapper - this is the answer to my prayers! I can cut the last remaining link to my PC & iPod/iTunes - being able to download Podcasts direct to the BB. I'll still use my iPod but won't be taking it traveling anymore!

PodTrapper isn't the most beautiful piece of software I've seen, but it does the job & has enough features to keep me happy!
    12-02-08 11:23 PM
380 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD