What's the best way to install these apps? Right from the handheld over wifi or connect through USB via PC?

Thanks in advance.
    It all depends on the app!! Some have OTA installs, others you download a .zip file and then unzip and load the .alx with Desktop Manager (thru AppLoader)!

Each way is simple and fast
    07-28-08 08:30 AM

This is probably the case for you, because you are using the 8320 (with WiFi) on ATT. ATT require data plans on Berries, as far as I know. And the WiFi on ATT can be kind of tricky because the device is not supported by ATT officially.
    Not so sure about AT&T requiring data. My wife as an 8310 on AT&T and we don't have a data plan on it. It works just fine for voice, texting, & MMS though.
    07-31-08 06:54 AM
    Not so sure about AT&T requiring data. My wife as an 8310 on AT&T and we don't have a data plan on it. It works just fine for voice, texting, & MMS though.
    Yes, I understand this... but I was specifically saying that the WiFi functionality on ATT BlackBerries with WiFi (the 8820) is limited and cannot be fully utilized unless you have a data plan.

As I said before, I am not sure if this is actually the case because I have no means to test it. But, from a number of members, this is the information I could gather.

I was not trying to imply that you *needed* a data plan on an ATT Berry

BACK ON TRACK : Can anyone get Viigo to work on WiFi?? No data plan... WiFi only!!
    07-31-08 09:57 AM
    Sorry...my bad.
    07-31-08 10:13 AM
    Sorry...my bad.
    It is cool... I wasn't mad or anything. I was clearing up the confusion, because you actually brought a valid point forward!
    07-31-08 10:21 AM
    why is it that a blackberry needs a data plan to use gmail app.
    i had a nokia and it worked find without a plan.
    08-02-08 06:44 PM
    All of them Gmail apps need a data plan EXCEPT if you are accessing the web versions of the apps and you will use the BB Browser.

All the individual IM apps also wont work without a data plan: Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, etc
    Does this include AIM?
    08-06-08 01:10 PM
    Does this include AIM?
    Yes, this also includes the bundled AIM app

Check out JiveTalk... it is posted within this thread and all over CB!! It is like the king of IM clients and it is amazing!! It will work on a WiFi only connection...

And, I personally think the default AIM app sucks!! I am pretty sure it limits the number of contacts you can see that are online, etc.

JiveTalk is a great app and works just like it should!
    08-06-08 01:19 PM
    My apologies in advance if this post is out of place... still kind of a newb here.

As I've seen in many threads the issue of not being able to send mms text without a data plan with AT&T has been beaten to death...

But, I wanted to know whether or not (with a wifi connection and no BB Data Plan) would I be able to send an mms text by means of wifi?

Is that even possible?

Or do mms text msgs have nothing to do with wifi?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    08-08-08 06:47 AM
    My apologies in advance if this post is out of place... still kind of a newb here.

As I've seen in many threads the issue of not being able to send mms text without a data plan with AT&T has been beaten to death...

But, I wanted to know whether or not (with a wifi connection and no BB Data Plan) would I be able to send an mms text by means of wifi?

Is that even possible?

Or do mms text msgs have nothing to do with wifi?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Honesty, I think MMS and WiFi are totally unrelated sorry...
    08-08-08 07:00 AM
    Honesty, I think MMS and WiFi are totally unrelated sorry...
    Ah, yeah... thought so. Guess I'll have to shell out $30. Thanks again bmc!
    08-08-08 07:02 PM
    i am unable to get any of the apps to work on my bb 8320 and you know i am about to become a non berry user any advise
    08-13-08 08:21 AM
    i am unable to get any of the apps to work on my bb 8320 and you know i am about to become a non berry user any advise
    Have you taken any time to do some research and reading?

What apps can you not get to function properly? Do you have a data plan or not?

FYI : Your Berry is limited without a data plan and on WiFi only, so do not expect to have everything work if you are not paying for the BlackBerry service
    08-13-08 08:25 AM
    i have read this whole thread and then some, I do have a data plan as well as wife..
    gmaps
    live search
    guitar hero
    oprea mini
    bb maps
    nav4all

pretty much trying to get a good map program going on and nothing wants to work for me .
    more info on my phone maybe a fix
    tmobile
    v. 4.2.2.180
    have both edge and wifi
    no gps
    and I am currently a lead tech support agent for verizon tech (basiclly i trouble shoot blackberrys all day so am kinda savy)
    08-13-08 08:41 AM
    I'm new here... I was just wondering if with an unlocked phone, the carrier you choose (AT&T or Tmobile in my case) will affect the applications you have available to use without a data plan?
    08-22-08 03:59 PM
    question...how do i switch to wifi? I have an att blackberry curve 8310 and when I try to change my default browser the only thing listed is media net....any suggestions?
    08-23-08 04:39 PM
    question...how do i switch to wifi? I have an att blackberry curve 8310 and when I try to change my default browser the only thing listed is media net....any suggestions?
    Your questions isnt really clear. What is it that you are trying to do.?
    09-03-08 02:56 AM
    Ok, so i can give jivetalk a little break, msn live now works, my question now is. What is it using, does it use wi-fi or cell netowrk.? I dont have a data plan either. Anyone know what msn is using.?
    09-03-08 02:59 AM
    Wifi is a feature of the 8x20's series BlackBerrys. It is not present on your device.

Your Browser is designed to work with your BlackBerry data plan.
    09-03-08 11:51 AM
    Ok, so i can give jivetalk a little break, msn live now works, my question now is. What is it using, does it use wi-fi or cell netowrk.? I dont have a data plan either. Anyone know what msn is using.?
    Jivetalk can use either your BlackBerry data plan or a Wifi connection.

MSN and the other IM clients use BlackBerry BIS and data only. I would not expect it to work without the plan.
    09-03-08 11:54 AM
    Jivetalk can use either your BlackBerry data plan or a Wifi connection.

MSN and the other IM clients use BlackBerry BIS and data only. I would not expect it to work without the plan.
    Well....as said, i have no data at the moment. I di however have the feature tmobile gives to people call the Blackberry enabler...soo, i guess it's that then.Nonetheless, its working like a charm, i also checked my messages today at the time i know i got it working, i see text messages i sent to people, but nothing looking wierd to say "ohh thats msn right there".
    Last edited by Snypa; 09-03-08 at 03:09 PM.
    09-03-08 02:37 PM
    yes and not this EQO, the rates are higher than jajah.com, which you can make local calls that automatically forward to a phone number overseas, much much cheaper. U can add that number (1800) to the MYFAVS in T-mobile and those min are free in the cell and 10 cents in ur jajah account
    09-08-08 11:08 AM
    Google Maps does work over Wi-Fi, I used it today with GSM/EDGE radio off, Wi-fi on, so that is cool...

I was trying to put BB Maps on my 8120, but if Wi-Fi don't work with, I guess I won't bother to install it anyway...
    09-11-08 03:35 PM
    Google Maps does work over Wi-Fi, I used it today with GSM/EDGE radio off, Wi-fi on, so that is cool...

I was trying to put BB Maps on my 8120, but if Wi-Fi don't work with, I guess I won't bother to install it anyway...
    gMaps doesn't work on my Curve. I don't have a data plan, but I do have WiFi and gMaps won't work.
    09-11-08 06:59 PM
    Download the last release Mobile GMaps and in the option check WIFI transport

have a fun, bye
    09-12-08 02:18 AM
380 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD