dunno if anyone else noticed but the newer version of Viigo works over WiFi only

get it here >> http://getviigo.com/
    10-10-09 10:53 PM
    I dont know if Its been addressed but to those who didnt know, I tested pandora with only WIFI and it works 100%
    10-22-09 01:44 AM
    Question About Opera Mini.

I have a Blackberry Curve 8320 without an internet service plan. If I put Opera Mini onto my phone will I get charge for using it? I am curently using WiFi through my Linksys at home.

Please help, thanks!
    Well I got different answers, but a way to deal with this is to follow these steps. I found these answers on a few sites. I have a 8900 so some of the menus might look slighty different.

1. I went to settings> options> advanced>TCP/IP I then deleted/unchecked the boxes that says APN settings and APN authenticated enabled
    2. Then I went back to advanced and went to Browser. Under Default browser config I changed it to hotspot Browser. Yours might say WIFI Browser. Its the same thing
    3. Then I went back to options> security options>TLS. Changed the TLS default to Handheld
    4. Final step is to exit out of options go to your actual internet browser. Go to options in your browser and under Broswer Configuration and General properties change the Browser and default Browser to Hotspot Browser.
    5. I'm not sure if this works 100% but it works for me. To see if you arnt getting charged, you can look up your data usage on your wireless provider. If you dont see any xtra charges, then it worked.

The other way to use wifi is to disable your Mobile Network altogether. Then for sure you wont get charged because you basically turned off the phone and texting capabilities.

I hoped this helped
    10-22-09 01:56 AM
    most programs nowdays are not working via WIFI anymore. they all need data plans now.

so WHY THE FU@# have wifi then???

does anyone agree with me???

we need to start a petition... this is ridiculous...
    10-29-09 11:22 PM
    most programs nowdays are not working via WIFI anymore. they all need data plans now.

so WHY THE FU@# have wifi then???

does anyone agree with me???

we need to start a petition... this is ridiculous...
    Agreed 100%
    10-31-09 08:55 AM
    Here's another app that has the option to be wifi only:

OANDA FXConverter - currency converter
    11-24-09 04:42 PM
    I have been trying to download the EQO program for my 8900, but am having no luck. I used the BB app loader, and it loaded the .alx file. I start the program, go to the account setup, but it gets an error message. Email to eqo not responded to yet.

Do I have to have a data plan to register, and then WiFi works? Or is it because I am using the BB for 4.2, and I have 4.6?
    11-24-09 06:14 PM
    Rogers does not currently support UMA in Canada. The comments about voice and applications working applys to a UMA connection, not a Wifi connection.

Browser is the only application, that I have found, uses Wifi without UMA service.

as a side note, UMA is the sheeit!
    11-25-09 06:11 PM
    Recently updated to OS 4.6.1 at the request of my BB desktop manager.
    Just wanted to inform/warn those who do, say goodbye to the Google App (has the links to search, reader etc). Doesn't work at all via WiFi. What's especially disturbing is the loss of the Google Search bar that shows up on the start page in Blackberry browser (unless someone has another idea why its gone)

Also looks like google maps isnt working with the new upgrade. Keeps giving an error about the connection, even tho wifi is connected.

A good radio app that has "wifi only" as an option: Nobex radio companion. Gives local radio stations as well as some satellite/sky.fm stuff.

Hippopost is another app that can't be connected/registered via wifi for some reason. The link they have on their site didnt play nice with the 8900, and since wifi doesnt work with the bb app store, I can't d/l the one from there.... Hopefully they have some direct downloads on their site one day.
    11-30-09 11:47 AM
    Hey guys, new user here.

Been following this thread as I have just recently bought myself an 8900. I am using it strictly over wifi with no data connection. I would like to say that I've gotten Gmail App working on my phone!

Seriously, I'm still trying to figure out what I did. After I showed my dad, I tried to put it on his Bold, but so far I am unsuccessful. We're still tinkering right now, but I'm confident we'll get his to work like mine.

Here's how it happened:
    Last night, I was following instructions to Shangmail on my phone (I'm sure you guys have heard of it). I couldn't figure out how to get Gmail onto it, so I gave up. Then I just decided to try the Gmail App one last time and it finally worked. I think it has something to do with the service book I downloaded. But I think there's more to what I did, because I put the service book on my dad's Bold and it still didn't work.

Bottom line: Gmail CAN work (note that I said "can" and not "will"). If/when I get my dad's Bold working, I'll post how we did it. I just wanted to let you guys know that it is possible, and maybe you guys can try and experiment yourselves.
    12-01-09 09:31 PM
    Bottom line: Gmail CAN work (note that I said "can" and not "will"). If/when I get my dad's Bold working, I'll post how we did it. I just wanted to let you guys know that it is possible, and maybe you guys can try and experiment yourselves.
    Have you tested it by turning off the mobile network and using it on wifi only ???
    12-01-09 10:38 PM
    Have you tested it by turning off the mobile network and using it on wifi only ???
    I did do this. When I took out my sim card, Gmail would not operate and would give me the same error message everyone else gets.

I don't understand how that works. I logged onto my account to make sure I wasn't being charged for data usage (when I put my sim back in), and I wasn't. I even sent myself text messages just to make sure the logs were refreshed. I tested this on an E71x as well (don't know if that's irrelevant or not), and the Gmail app would work without sim. I didn't really know what to conclude from that.
    12-02-09 12:07 AM
    I did not read all 23 pages, so I don't know if this has been posted.

To get Opera to work with wifi:

click on Opera
    menu>settings>tick the wifi box>menu>save

data plan smata plan
    12-10-09 07:12 PM
    Nimbuzz
    Its a free messenger program (msn,icq,yahoo,gtalk,facebook,skype.....), and works fine in my 8520 in wifi, without data plan.
    Seesmic
    The best Twitter client, ( in my opinion ) use wifi,free and works perfectly.
    Last edited by Behroozo; 12-10-09 at 07:50 PM.
    12-10-09 07:28 PM
    Nimbuzz
    Its a free messenger program (msn,icq,yahoo,gtalk,facebook,skype.....), and works fine in my 8520 in wifi, without data plan.
    Seesmic
    The best Twitter client, ( in my opinion ) use wifi,free and works perfectly.
    Just downloaded and set Nimbuzz up. Its a proxy setup like instango, but seems to stay connected and start up faster.

Did you find any options to keep it on wifi only? Just a lil worried that it may connect over the data plan. Also, since no VOIP, skype is text messages only.

Not too bad so far.. Thanks for the find
    12-10-09 09:49 PM
    To get Opera to work with wifi...
    Note that Opera Mini 4 and the latest Opera Mini 5 Beta work on WiFi. The first Mini 5 Beta did not.
    12-18-09 12:39 PM
    Bing 1.0.3611.345 works. And the Map feature works even without GPS.
    12-18-09 12:43 PM
    bbscanner
    Gmaps 3.2 (sorry if dup'd)

both thumbs high
    12-23-09 09:44 PM
    Does beejive work over wi-fi ONLY?
    12-25-09 07:47 AM
    Beejive works over Wifi only.
    12-25-09 09:29 AM
    YOU DONT NEED A DATAPLAN, WHAT YOU NEED IS THE SERVICE BOOKS

The problem is you need the data plan in order to get the service books the first time. Plain and simple, here are the only options:

1. get data plan (BIS) until you get the service books and drop the service
    2. try to have the provider to set data plan (BIS) for a moment (some carriers would do it, some wont...it depends mostly on your charm)
    3. and this is what i have been trying to pull for everyone: get someone with a dataplan, do an advanced backup from the device manager and just select 'service books', then restore that to your phone.

It would be very useful if we manage to get a Database with this info for every carrier worldwide:
    APN, user, pass, BIS service books

i'm trying to have the guys at BlackberryOS to put this DB in their download zone
    12-26-09 04:36 AM
    does weather bug work with wi-fi ONLY?
    12-31-09 08:39 AM
    YOU DONT NEED A DATAPLAN, WHAT YOU NEED IS THE SERVICE BOOKS

The problem is you need the data plan in order to get the service books the first time. Plain and simple, here are the only options:

1. get data plan (BIS) until you get the service books and drop the service
    2. try to have the provider to set data plan (BIS) for a moment (some carriers would do it, some wont...it depends mostly on your charm)
    3. and this is what i have been trying to pull for everyone: get someone with a dataplan, do an advanced backup from the device manager and just select 'service books', then restore that to your phone.

It would be very useful if we manage to get a Database with this info for every carrier worldwide:
    APN, user, pass, BIS service books

i'm trying to have the guys at BlackberryOS to put this DB in their download zone
    Pretty interesting idea here. I would love to see this lift off even though I can use all the apps I want already even without a data plan. I been trying to figure out how to do the same for my uncle's BB too.
    12-31-09 03:09 PM
    With wifi only. Yahoo messenger
    Google messenger
    Slacker radio
    App world
    Hand andgo
    Amazon
    Weather bug

after recent update to os 5.0.0.428
    01-17-10 07:51 PM
    Wow ...Is this update available for 8520 ?
    01-18-10 12:24 PM
380 ... 1213141516
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD