Hi i have a BB curve which i recently purchased on ebay its on o2 pay and go but i cant use the internet??
    I rang o2 and they said i needed a BB package which is only avalible on o2 contract!!
    I would like to know if there is anyway of gettin a BB package on any pay and go networks or anyway way of sortin this as im not eligable for a contract fone juat yet??
    Id be gratefull if anybody could help thanks
    05-15-09 12:11 AM
    The latest beta of UberTwitter works perfectly over Wifi and can even upload pics over wifi. The only drawback is that it goes to UberTwitter's hosting site, which isn't the prettiest in the world.

Also, thanks for the update about SocialScope! I didn't expect Wifi support to be accommodated this early in the development process but I'm really happy I was wrong.
    I gave UberTwitter a try and it works really well, i still prefer TwitterBerry and SocialScope but that's just my choice.
    05-15-09 04:08 PM
    A couple of things:

From my Bold (v4.6.0.266, Platform 4.0.0.223)

Wi-Fi Functional:
    Google Sync

That is all I got on my Bold, which work with my network connected off, and only Wi-Fi on.
    I understand that you need a data plan first for the service books or whatnot; however when I turn off my carrier's data, google sync still won't work. Has anyone else had luck?

2. Assuming #1 doesn't work out, has anyone had any luck with syncing their gcal via wifi. I know about the primosync wifi tweak, and it worked great for a while. I tried it again yesterday, and it now shows an error when I try to upload. (e.g. update my gcal with an appointment that I put into my blackberry).

3. Thanks so much for this thread! I'm personally a big fan of Twitterberry and Instango.
    06-04-09 01:07 PM
    I COULD NOT get the following apps to work without a data plan using wifi connection:

Yahoo Go
    BB Maps
    Google Maps
    Opera Mini
    Facebook

Anybody without data have differing results with these using wifi?
    I was able to get Yahoo Go, Opera Mini and Facebook over my WiFi. Not sure of the issue. My Opera works great and lightning fast. Hmmmm..... I'm a rookie to the WiFi models but, maybe try checking connection settings for each app. Now, BB Maps, Google Maps and pretty much any other GPS won't work without data and/or GPRS. There is Mobile GMaps but the only way to get maps on it without data is a long process of making maps, converting the files, loading them to your SD card and making sure every single setting is correct to the T.
    06-08-09 10:39 PM
    The latest beta of UberTwitter works perfectly over Wifi and can even upload pics over wifi. The only drawback is that it goes to UberTwitter's hosting site, which isn't the prettiest in the world.

Also, thanks for the update about SocialScope! I didn't expect Wifi support to be accommodated this early in the development process but I'm really happy I was wrong.
    I tried to download Uber Twitter on my laptop to sync with Desktop Manager but I only got a .jad file. No .cod or .alx. Desktop Manager won't read the .cod file. How else can I get it? I've wanted a Twiiter app for use with W-Fi since I got my Curve.
    06-08-09 11:04 PM

I tried to download Uber Twitter on my laptop to sync with Desktop Manager but I only got a .jad file. No .cod or .alx. Desktop Manager won't read the .cod file. How else can I get it? I've wanted a Twitter app for use with W-Fi since I got my Curve.
    06-08-09 11:04 PM
    I've wanted a Twitter app for use with W-Fi since I got my Curve.
    I've never used UberTwitter, but I've had great luck with TwitterBerry on wifi. It will even automatically upload your pic to twitpic.
    06-08-09 11:07 PM
    I tried to download Uber Twitter on my laptop to sync with Desktop Manager but I only got a .jad file. No .cod or .alx. Desktop Manager won't read the .cod file. How else can I get it? I've wanted a Twitter app for use with W-Fi since I got my Curve.
    Nevermind... Dumb question. Downloaded it over WiFi via Opera Mini.
    06-08-09 11:26 PM
    I've wanted a Twitter app for use with W-Fi since I got my Curve.
    I have Wi-Fi only

These are your options for Twitter apps:

SocialScope is working over WiFi and you can upload pics through TwitPic over WiFi too (so, upload of pictures over WiFi SOLVED!)

Also, UberTwitter added WiFi to their beta!!

...just in case you haven't read my previous post TwitterBerry Beta .9 also works over WiFi.

Keep an eye out!

either one is great, it all depends on what you like the best
    06-09-09 08:09 AM
    Yo B-Berries,

Just an update from me. These Apps work decently w/ Wifi and no data plan on my Curve 8320 TMO:

BBWeather 0.84
    BBBrowser 4.5.0
    BB Tran 1.6.3
    Evernote 3.0.155
    LiveSearch 2.0.3048.13898
    LogicMail 1.0.4
    Nobex Radio Companion 2.1.0.1888
    Opera Mini 4.2
    Palringo 1.01
    reQall 1.2.086
    TwitterBerry 0.9.0.6
    Ubertwitter 0.55
    WSJ Mobile Reader 1.1.9

These work too but I don't like them

Mundu Messenger/Radio
    GMaps
    Instando
    Slacker Mobile

Let me know which I missed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by berrywhite1; 06-09-09 at 03:46 PM.
    06-09-09 03:31 PM
    can we get an update on first post
    06-10-09 04:50 PM
    I have Wi-Fi only

These are your options for Twitter apps:

either one is great, it all depends on what you like the best
    I was hunting for wi-fi twitter clients this week and came across yatca (yet another twitter client). Worked great...uploaded a snapshot I took from the camera, too: http<colon>//twitter.com/imercado

Something to add to the list of wi-fi enabled apps.
    Last edited by imercado; 06-13-09 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added link to the twitter post I made using yatca.
    06-13-09 02:46 PM
    I was hunting for wi-fi twitter clients this week and came across yatca (yet another twitter client). Worked great...uploaded a snapshot I took from the camera, too.

Something to add to the list of wi-fi enabled apps.
    I didn't know because I have an 8120 so I have a 4.5 OS and Yatca requires 4.6 or more. So, thanks for the info!
    06-13-09 03:15 PM
    Another Twitter App that works with WiFi

Yatca
    06-13-09 03:19 PM
    I have an 8320 curve,but I cant get the native browser to work over wifi.Are there any settingd I have to make in order for it to work?
    06-15-09 07:34 PM
    Claudia,

Check
    1. Options>Browser>Default browser configuration = Hotspot browser

2. Options>Mobile Network>Data Services = On and Connection Preference = Wi-fi Only

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 01:52 AM
    Claudia,

Check
    1. Options>Browser>Default browser configuration = Hotspot browser

2. Options>Mobile Network>Data Services = On and Connection Preference = Wi-fi Only

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you soo much,turns out I had the browser set to internet browser,
    after changing the settings everything works well now. thanks again!
    06-17-09 03:55 PM
    All of them Gmail apps need a data plan EXCEPT if you are accessing the web versions of the apps and you will use the BB Browser.

All the individual IM apps also wont work without a data plan: Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, etc
    Hi,

I just got my BlackBerry Bold/Vodafone Es, I had/still have curve/ATT US.
    Google Maps and Gtalk work over WIFI but not Gmail App. I tested it by turning off the 'Mobile Network' in 'Manage Connections'.
    I can browse over Wifi using BB browser too.

Any idea why Gmail app is not working over WIFI?

Thank you.
    06-25-09 05:37 AM
    Hi guys been looking through this forum and i still have a few problems. Sorry i'm a bb newbie.

I own a 8820 without data plan so trying to get a good free IM software. Device application is version 4.2

Have tried Instango - seems to connect but can't view any of my contacts, plus it keeps reconnecting every 20 secs or so ...

Palringo - I installed latest version 1.01 but under general options there is no box that i can check to use wifi? It works well when both my mobile network and wifi are enabled on the phone. However it does not connect with ONLY wifi turned on, or ONLY mobile network turned on. Hence I'm a little confused as to whether it is really using wifi or will i have to pay data charges??

Advice needed on how I should configure the settings or any other alternative software I can use?
    06-26-09 11:45 AM
    Oh and I've also have problems with other software.

GMaps does not work for me at all despite following all the instructions listed in this forum.

LogicMail works but I can't seem to delete my mails?? When I click on delete it says "queued to be deleted", but the next time i connect to the program all my "deleted" emails are still there?
    06-26-09 11:49 AM
    Can someone post their settings & application settings for Opera Mini? I've been slapped with some insane overage charges, because Opera Mini keeps hopping onto carrier data without my consent. Worse still is that it randomly unchecks the Wifi box on its own in the settings. ???!!!
    07-09-09 03:32 AM
    Thanks for putting this together.

WSJ app works.

I don't know how someone got F-book app to work but it doesn't work for me, same with Twitterberry.
    07-12-09 12:08 PM
    FaceBook app works over just fine for my BB Bold.
    07-12-09 12:57 PM
    FaceBook app works over just fine for my BB Bold.
    Yes, but with a data plan ???

I think this thread is confusing a lot of users, who get UMA mixed up with just plain, no data plan, WiFi. Perhaps, we can rename this thread, or just start a new one, that explicitly states,

Apps That work over WiFi without a Data Plan

Just a suggestion ...
    07-12-09 02:30 PM
    Yes, but with a data plan ???

I think this thread is confusing a lot of users, who get UMA mixed up with just plain, no data plan, WiFi. Perhaps, we can rename this thread, or just start a new one, that explicitly states,

Apps That work over WiFi without a Data Plan

Just a suggestion ...
    Yes I have a data plan, I am using a BES.
    But I tested FaceBook app with the Mobile Network TURNED off, I was only over Wifi.
    07-12-09 02:34 PM
380 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD