Ok, I need some help from the CrackBerry Community here. I did a search but didn't see a thread that consolidates this topic, so thought we could get one going.

So I just got my BlackBerry 8320, running unlocked on Rogers in Canada, and am pumped to have Wi-Fi so I can save on some of my ridiculous data bills. But as I start to load up my favorite apps and use them, it seems to me that some are taking advantage of my established WiFi connection while others are not.

So, what's the verdict? Can we get a list going here of which apps currently are compatible with WiFi and which are not. Viigo, Opera Mini, JiveTalk, etc. etc. etc., let's make a list. Will help me out (and I'm sure others too).

Update - Here's a condensed list! (as of July 13th, 2008):

Working
    ~~~~~

Web broswers
    Black Berry Browser
    Opera mini [works for many]

Email
    Tiggit mail [email]
    LogicMail (Pop Imap Mail) - FREEWARE

IM
    JiveTalk 1.05 [MSN/IM] - TRYAL
    Mundu 4.0.4 (The app is $11 for lifetime use and they have a 5 day trial available) [
    http:// messenger. mundu. com/blackberry/]

Searching
    Google Search (google on the desktop) - FREEWARE
    Microsoft Live Search Utility - FREEWARE
    Beyond411 [will work, but you need to change the connection to Basic setting, otherwise you get a Bad DNS address]
    Microsoft Live Search: (THE BEST-weather-maps-cinema-web-gps-direction)[http:// wls. live. com]

VOIP
    EQO 1.6.0 [like skype][uses wifi/local calling minutes to hop onto VOIP network, very cheap]

Other
    Google apps [web versions only]
    FreeRange RSS reader [RSS]
    Rove Mobile File Manager (ftp-smb-WebDav Utility) - FREEWARE
    Audible beta - FREEWARE
    BBtran (dictionary) - FREEWARE

Needs confirmation:
    BB today? [one user says yes, one says no]
    bbweather? [one user says yes, one says no]
    facebook? [one user says yes, one says no]
    Google Maps? [one user says yes, one says no]

Not working
    ~~~~~~

viigo
    IM+ apps (Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk)
    All built in Google apps [Web versions work] (Gmail, GMaps)
    BB Maps
    Yahoo Go

@ Compiled by andy0
    04-12-08 11:48 AM
    JiveTalk 1.05 is wifi compatible

Viigo is not, can't get it to update with only wifi on.

Opera Mini beta4.1 is not, can't get it to work.

Beyond411 will work, but you need to change the connection to Basic setting, otherwise you get a Bad DNS address

i can get maps from nav4all, but that doesn't help while traveling, lol

The Weather Eye app wont run on wifi only
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 04-12-08 at 12:40 PM.
    04-12-08 11:53 AM
    If you have a data plan, any app can be used over wifi. However if you do not have a data plan, you will notice that most apps will not work over wifi.
    04-12-08 12:21 PM
    If you have a data plan, most apps will use that, even if wifi is on. If you set it to wifi only, and still have a data plan, a lot of apps don't work over wifi.

If i put wifi only on, very few apps work. Thats the reason for wifi preferred.
    04-12-08 12:27 PM
    Rogers does not currently support UMA in Canada. The comments about voice and applications working applys to a UMA connection, not a Wifi connection.

Browser is the only application, that I have found, uses Wifi without UMA service.
    Last edited by Stoner; 04-13-08 at 10:53 AM.
    04-13-08 10:50 AM
    Got the new Viigo Crackberry edition today. I love it already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 05:53 PM
    When I try the GMail app I get an error and it tells me I need a data plan.. I can check my gmail through the browser thought.

Anyone have GMail app working on just WiFi connection?
    04-14-08 03:22 PM
    When I try the GMail app I get an error and it tells me I need a data plan.. I can check my gmail through the browser thought.

Anyone have GMail app working on just WiFi connection?
    All of them Gmail apps need a data plan EXCEPT if you are accessing the web versions of the apps and you will use the BB Browser.

All the individual IM apps also wont work without a data plan: Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, etc
    04-14-08 03:39 PM
    All of them Gmail apps need a data plan EXCEPT if you are accessing the web versions of the apps and you will use the BB Browser.

All the individual IM apps also wont work without a data plan: Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, etc
    Will IM + Work on wifi? with data disable?.. Is working on my htc tytn on wifi without problem and i would like to buy the app for my very soon curve 8320..
    04-14-08 04:15 PM
    No only IM that will work over WiFi right now is JiveTalk
    04-14-08 08:35 PM
    thanks sandman for your answer..
    04-15-08 07:29 AM
    I COULD NOT get the following apps to work without a data plan using wifi connection:

Yahoo Go
    BB Maps
    Google Maps
    Opera Mini
    Facebook

Anybody without data have differing results with these using wifi?
    04-30-08 02:10 AM
    Hi all, I managed to get FreeRange RSS reader to work on Wifi. All other (Opera, gmail, gmaps, viigo) are still not working. For anyone who is looking for an email client that works over wifi (No BES/BIS) Tiggit mail works fine.

05-11-08 09:28 AM
    I was able to get facebook to work without a dataplan...
    as for e-mail I'm using LogicMail (IMAP and POP3) both work fine (have three accounts set up on it.

Yahoo GO! worked without a dataplan (e-mail, local search, etc).

Hopefully Opera will comeout with a 4.2 that works on the internet.
    05-13-08 08:16 PM
    anyone know of any freeware im services that work with just Wifi, like a meebo or something similar to that?
    05-19-08 12:38 PM
    Hey guys. Im newbie. Just bought a BB curve 8320 from att. I got my wifi to work. I got no data plan or anything. i just login to my router and made the settings for it. plus i changed somewhere in i think setting--> advnaced options-->Browser--->default broswer configuration: select "wifi browser". Plus you go to settings again then mobile network and then you put data Services "on". I did notice if I put data services "off" nothing works then! Plus I called att and they told me i'm not on any data plan or anything and I not being charged. I'm still trying to figure out IM + skype will work with wifi. I think i need to setup some "ippp" thing or something service books!?! Which I did look into and found some settings that I want to change but cant for "WiFi TCP/IP Transport" it has a gateway address 10.1.20.203:19781;19780 which i dontk now wat is!?!? but i wonder if i have to change to really make the tcp ip functions work with wifi!?!? i'm lost. I got opera mini working and the bb browser for now. havent explored other things yet.
    05-24-08 12:13 PM
    10.1.20.203:19781;19780 ...
    That is an Special Use IP address with a range of ports enabled.

NetRange: 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    CIDR: 10.0.0.0/8
    NetName: RESERVED-10
    NetHandle: NET-10-0-0-0-1
    Parent:
    NetType: IANA Special Use
    NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG
    NameServer: BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG
    Comment: This block is reserved for special purposes.
    Comment: Please see RFC 1918 for additional information:
    Comment: http://www.arin.net/reference/rfc/rfc1918.txt
    Special-Use Addresses
    Several address ranges are reserved for "Special Use". These addresses all have restrictions of some sort placed on their use, and in general should not appear in normal use on the public Internet. The following briefly documents these addresses – in general they are used in specialized technical contexts. They are described in more detail in RFC 3330.
    "Private Use" IP addresses:
    10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    Nobody has managed to activate the IM+ apps without a data plan.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-24-08 at 04:51 PM.
    05-24-08 04:48 PM
    Any other email applications working with wi-fi? Logicmail doesn't let me forward or remove email messages.

05-27-08 01:42 PM
    Not freeware but like Sandman said, JiveTalk will work. Does anyone know whether Mundu works over wifi without a data plan?
    05-27-08 08:59 PM
    Just a quick note on the tiggit mail wifi functionality. At the moment (version 0.1.47) you will need to turn wifi on/off within the tiggit application. Version 0.1.48 will automatically detect whether wifi is available and dynamically switch between the wifi and cellular network.

This dynamic switching will happen mid-session so that if the handheld looses connection to the wifi hub during a download, it will seamlessly continue the download via a cellular connection.
    06-02-08 06:27 AM
    The following apps work for me in WiFi

*JiveTalk
    *bbweather
    *opera mini 4.1
    *beyond 411
    *google maps (off by 6 blocks but hey its an estimate on my location)

DID NOT work at the moment:
    *Viirgo

06-02-08 10:46 PM
    For what it is worth!

I can get OPERA mini to work on Wi-Fi and Yahoo will not.
    06-06-08 09:09 PM
    This is my first post here, i dario from italy, i use:

Blackberry Pearl 8120 OS: 4.3.115 (Latest Telefonica Firmware )
    Sim: Vodafone Italy

After my personal use, These apps use WiFi: (all updated version )

Rove Mobile File Manager (ftp-smb-WebDav Utility) - FREEWARE
    Microsoft Live Search Utility - FREEWARE
    Opera Mini (html Browser) - FREEWARE
    Google Search (google on the desktop) - FREEWARE
    BBToday something use WiFi - FREEWARE
    Beyond411 Search (websearch) - FREEWARE
    LogicMail (Pop Imap Mail) - FREEWARE
    Audible beta - FREEWARE
    jivetalk (multimessenger) - TRYAL
    BBtran (dictionary) - FREEWARE
    ...waiting for LiveMessenger.. Eqo.. Fring.. Iskoot and so on.. maybe news in this summer...

No others apps use wifi on my Pearl 8120, maybe on the 8320 there is something different about GOOGLE MAPS - BBtoday - BBweather - Viigo - YahooGo - on pearl 8120 they don't work.

i hope you download them and post news about new apps.. Bye

dario..
    06-11-08 08:18 AM
    Good news,
    I downloaded Instango and I tried it w/ Wi-Fi only. It looks like it is working . I have my EDGE network turned off and in the permisions the carrrier internet permision is set to deny. I am able to use Instango with my Wi-Fi only. I know that some progarms still try to access the internet via the EDGE but I think I have it fully turned off. This is great news because I live and work in areas that I won’t get cell phone coverage but the WI-Fi is coverage is great.
    06-15-08 03:25 PM
    NOT SO FAST!!!!!!!!

It looks like a data plan is needed just to get logged onto Instango. Once logged on iy looks like you can switch entirley over to Wi-Fi.
    ...more testing needed.
    06-15-08 09:29 PM
380 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD