^

So I can access youtube site without data plan? When I tried to connect there, it said that it uses intensive data, will I be charged for this (without data plan/wifi on)?
    04-16-09 10:37 AM
    twitterberry .9 works over Wi-Fi only!

TwitterBerry for BlackBerry

this might be the best news in ages
    gotta try this out...
    04-23-09 11:50 AM
    So I can access youtube site without data plan? When I tried to connect there, it said that it uses intensive data (without data plan/wifi on)?
    Yup, that warning is there for people who are connecting without WiFi as EDGE use without a data plan is expensive.

will I be charged for this
    Nope, you are not charged for using WiFi, enjoy it it's free!
    04-23-09 01:11 PM
    this might be the best news in ages
    gotta try this out...
    i KNOW! but for me it suddenly stopped working on my BB, i uninstalled, reinstalled, did battery pull, cleared cache, checked that i hadn't changed any setting (all of this, various times, in various orders and combinations ) and still it won't even open.

i really hope it gets fixed on the next beta release

i hope it works for you!
    04-23-09 01:41 PM
    From my Bold (v4.6.0.266, Platform 4.0.0.223)

Wi-Fi Functional:
    BlackBerry App World
    Facebook 1.5
    Opera Mini
    BB Browser
    MSN Messenger
    GoogleTalk
    iHeartRadio
    BB Messenger
    Google Sync

Not Wi-Fi Compatible:
    Pandora
    Twitterberry (told me to try another app), lol
    Gmail App
    Google App (Limited)
    Weather Apps

That is all I got on my Bold, which work with my network connected off, and only Wi-Fi on.
    04-23-09 10:11 PM
    im using bb weather on my 8320, I ONLY use wifi, and i use bbweather every day, so bbweather is wifi compatible
    04-24-09 12:45 AM
    Fabuloso, it's true that those apps can use wifi, but many of them won't work without first obtaining configuration files called service books over a carrier or company server. App World specifically tells you to get a data plan and lauds its benefits, IHeartRadio says it's unable to download configuration info and closes, and I know others listed also failed to function for me. Which isn't to say you're wrong to list them, I'm just pre-empting the people who inevitably post wondering how someone got X to work. A hint about Opera for wifi-only users, though: disable company and carrier Internet in BB's advanced application settings and it should work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 01:27 AM
    Yeah I shut off my service and ran wifi only, so only had certain
    Items working for me. Though removing my service books also
    Deletes my program file and renders it useless.

But not like I need a weather app anyway. @.@

04-24-09 06:47 AM
    Oh, interesting, so it's not just the downloading of service books. Can you tell us what apps still do work? I'd be interested if any work for you with service books that don't work for other wifi-only users. And try the trick I mentioned for Opera Mini with other apps, see if you can convince a program that you're just away from a cell signal or something.

04-24-09 10:16 AM
    My list above are the programs that worked for me without my services turned on, and wi-fi only.
    04-24-09 01:40 PM
    Oh, ok, so maybe it is just the need to download service books. I bought my Berry from someone who used it with a data plan, and several of the apps that worked for him no longer worked for me, such as Google Maps, but that might have had something to do with the new SIM. So I've been wondering if you can download service books once, then cancel your data plan and continue using the apps.
    04-24-09 02:49 PM
    That's being discussed on other parts of the forum about wi-fi issues on the Bold as far as what applications can and can't run. Certain apps need a Data Plan, and others can run without it (wi-fi).
    04-24-09 03:17 PM
    All the things you guys are saying, is this also applicable to an unlocked ATT Bold??? Since I've read weird stories about the AT&T Bold WiFi

EDIT: found sumthing to fix it
    Last edited by tompirlet; 04-24-09 at 05:53 PM.
    04-24-09 04:07 PM

Wi-Fi Functional:
    BlackBerry App World
    Facebook 1.5
    Opera Mini
    BB Browser
    MSN Messenger
    GoogleTalk
    iHeartRadio
    BB Messenger
    Google Sync

Not Wi-Fi Compatible:
    Pandora
    Gmail App
    Google App (Limited)
    Weather Apps

That is all I got on my Bold, which work with my network connected off, and only Wi-Fi on.

I assume you have a bb data plan, turned off mobile network and just have wifi on.
    04-24-09 06:25 PM
    Right. I was reading around and decided to see what apps worked and didn't, so I posted my own .02

04-24-09 09:20 PM
    i KNOW! but for me it suddenly stopped working on my BB, i uninstalled, reinstalled, did battery pull, cleared cache, checked that i hadn't changed any setting (all of this, various times, in various orders and combinations ) and still it won't even open.

i really hope it gets fixed on the next beta release

i hope it works for you!

TwitterBerry 0.9 Beta 6 got released on April 24, 2009

works great now!

perfect for us on Wifi-Only

Enjoy!
    04-25-09 03:22 PM

Wi-Fi Functional:
    BlackBerry App World
    Facebook 1.5
    Opera Mini
    BB Browser
    MSN Messenger
    GoogleTalk
    iHeartRadio
    BB Messenger
    Google Sync

Not Wi-Fi Compatible:
    Pandora
    Gmail App
    Google App (Limited)
    Weather Apps

How did you get FaceBook and MSN Messenger to work over Wifi only? I have these installed and I cannot get them to work (I do not have a data plan). Please, can you provide details or instructions about how to make this apps work over Wifi only?!
    04-25-09 09:31 PM
    How did you get FaceBook and MSN Messenger to work over Wifi only?
    I think the poster responded that he does have a data plan, which may be needed to authorize the apps during the installation process to use the WiFi connection.

By the way, for all your IM needs, checkout Palringo in my singature, supports all the IM protocols including facebook chat.

Enjoy,
    SK
    04-26-09 12:12 PM
    Here's a radio app with a lot of stations, and it works with wifi-only:

Nobex Radio Companion - Download
    04-26-09 07:48 PM
    i remember somebody asking about attaching files to emails... for those who haven't been able to send attachments via website-based email, the BOLT browser may be able to do that depending on the domain of your email...

i haven't tried yahoo, gmail, nor hotmail yet, but for GMX (which is my primary emai) works without any problems... though with a few annoying questions asked by the browser about permission to access your phone/sd memory...
    04-27-09 08:17 PM
    i remember somebody asking about attaching files to emails... for those who haven't been able to send attachments via website-based email, the BOLT browser may be able to do that depending on the domain of your email...

i haven't tried yahoo, gmail, nor hotmail yet, but for GMX (which is my primary emai) works without any problems... though with a few annoying questions asked by the browser about permission to access your phone/sd memory...
    i had asked

i'll try it out through bolt

Thanks!

PS: gonna try out GMX too

-----------------------------------------
    Do you use GMX through bolt or BBbrowser??
    Last edited by BlackPearl890; 04-28-09 at 06:15 PM.
    04-28-09 07:30 AM
    Any updates yet?
    05-07-09 03:20 PM
    SocialScope is working over WiFi and you can upload pics through TwitPic over WiFi too (so, upload of pictures over WiFi SOLVED!)

Also, UberTwitter added WiFi to their beta!!

...just in case you haven't read my previous post TwitterBerry Beta .9 also works over WiFi.

Keep an eye out!

Last edited by BlackPearl890; 06-08-09 at 09:17 AM. Reason: update
    05-07-09 03:32 PM
    hello! i'm new in this neighborhood....this is exactly what i was looking for!!!...awesome!
    05-14-09 12:00 PM
    Also, UberTwitter might add WiFi on their next beta launch!!
    The latest beta of UberTwitter works perfectly over Wifi and can even upload pics over wifi. The only drawback is that it goes to UberTwitter's hosting site, which isn't the prettiest in the world.

Also, thanks for the update about SocialScope! I didn't expect Wifi support to be accommodated this early in the development process but I'm really happy I was wrong.
    05-14-09 04:11 PM
380 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD