Has anyone got google maps to work over wifi with no data plan?
    If you have, how did you do it?

Some say it's possible, others say it's not.
    03-12-09 10:08 PM
    for all u twitter users that dont have a data plan & are looking for a better option than the mobile version of twitter, check this out Tweete v0.5b / Login you can reply, dm and fave real nice!!

also has anyone got pandora to work over wi-fi?? (mine stays signing in )
    03-18-09 10:51 AM
    for all u twitter users that dont have a data plan & are looking for a better option than the mobile version of twitter, check this out Tweete v0.5b / Login you can reply, dm and fave real nice!!

also has anyone got pandora to work over wi-fi?? (mine stays signing in )
    looks very orange to me.... that alternative website better not steal my password........
    03-19-09 07:40 PM
    Istango is def recommended. I log onto icq after not doing so in almost 5 years (don't ask how I remembered my number) but it was awesome to see people still online from back then
    exactly! instango rocks... except for the scrolling bug (which still hasn't been solved for me)...

but yeah, i think it's funny that you mentioned ICQ... i haven't used it for over 7 years and was surprised that i got the # right =)
    i think that means we're good?!?
    03-19-09 07:42 PM
    looks very orange to me.... that alternative website better not steal my password........

i can't assure that, i hope they dont steal mine either
    Last edited by BlackPearl890; 03-19-09 at 08:43 PM.
    03-19-09 08:11 PM
    well guys supposedly the new twitterberry supports wi-fi, but i didn't get mine to work if it works for u guys let me know! thnx!!

TwitterBerry for BlackBerry
    03-21-09 07:27 PM
    does somebody know if SocialScope works over wi-fi??

thnx!
    Last edited by BlackPearl890; 03-24-09 at 03:04 PM.
    03-24-09 03:01 PM
    I wasn't able to get the latest twitterberry working over wifi either. Don't know what the deal is.
    03-24-09 10:10 PM
    I can't speak for pandora (but for a small fee) Live365.com works on my blackberry with wifi only.

I currently subscribe to live365.com because it also works on my TIVO.

If you don't know live365.com is:

With thousands of stations and over 4 million listeners a month, Live365 is the world's largest Internet radio network. A full service provider, Live365 gives individuals and organizations a "voice" to be able to reach a global audience, while offering radio listeners an unparalleled choice in music and other audio content. Through easy-to-use tools and services, music tastemakers can reach listeners around the world with an Internet radio station. As a result, Live365 offers the most diverse array of high-quality radio available today, with thousands of stations spanning myriad genres and representing over 150 countries.

Launched in July 1999, Live365 is a two-time winner of the Best Radio Website Award from the Web Marketing Association, a two-time winner of the People's Voice award for Best Music Site at the Webby Awards (2001, 2002), a winner of the Webby's People's Voice Award for Best Radio Site (2004), and has received Best-of-Web designations from Forbes.com and the San Francisco Chronicle.

Honestly I am surprised that it is still going... but I like it and keep sending them money every 3 months.
    03-25-09 10:52 AM
    upvise v2.2 (which is beta) works on wifi, v2.1 did not. OTA install via beta.upvise.com (sorry I'm too new here to post links)

MGMaps not working for me yet after following instructions earlier in the thread. Help? Traveling for spring break and would really like access to maps of the area.

Confirmed working on my BBerry Flip w/Tmo unlimited messaging but no data plan:
    Upvise 2.2beta - mobile wiki
    LogicMail (using IMAP and POP both tested fine, someone else has the link in their siggy I think)
    PodTrapper V1.8.4 (I'm upgrading to 1.8.6 at the moment, haven't tested it yet)
    NewsGater Go!
    BBWeather v.84 (earlier version does NOT work on wifi)
    ReQall.com's BBerry app (they have a BBerry-specific app, their service is changing as of today tho, they just announced their Pro version so not sure how much will change for standard users - I was in the early user group so I've got the pro trial for 6 weeks from today, regular price is $25/yr and seems TOTALLY worth it as much as I've been using it in the last 2 weeks in the beta phase with getting text messages to myself from their voice-to-text transcription with time-sensitive reminders, Pro has direct Google Calendar integration which is important to me. I don't use their BBerry app much directly but I've tested it and it does work without a data plan. I have their non-toll-free number set as one of my Tmo MyFaves and speed-dial set to 5 so I can call without looking when a thought occurs to me while I'm driving!).
    Yatca - yet another twitter client (I'm meh on this one tho)

Not working:
    FreeRange

Not data/WIFI apps but other ones I'm enjoying on my BBerry:
    Xplayer (free MP3 player, has bookmarking - wish it would autobookmark and control volume when not focus application but otherwise excellent)
    QuickPull
    BBSmart Alarm Pro (about $10 reg fee, I'm still in the trial period but liking it better than MyAlarm after finding out the hard way MyAlarm doesn't autostart if the phone gets reset)
    Mobipocket - ebook reader (technically it also wants to work over data, but I just sync it with the computer for new books to get around that problem)

Not so great non-data apps:
    MyAlarms - free, was liking it, but having the phone reset overnight and oversleeping/almost getting my kid to school late because the alarm didn't go off makes BBSmart's program all that much more worth the price. Also BBSmart's prog has unlimited number of alarms and "quick alarm" feature, and is much more attractive (just wish it had more variety in the pre-installed midi alarms, I don't like using music as alarms, prefer beeping and it doesn't come with that option, I need to make some MP3s for it to use instead). MyAlarm is limited to 6 alarms (in addition to the one the BB OS has in the clock app). Would also feature-request more advanced scheduling of alarms (every other Friday my kid has no pre-k, would prefer to sleep in those days!).
    03-27-09 05:21 PM
    SocialScope v0.9.3 doesn't work over WiFi.
    03-28-09 10:34 AM
    SocialScope v0.9.3 doesn't work over WiFi.
    just figured that out too
    03-28-09 10:59 AM
    i have to tell you that you all gave quite an amount of time to this thread, which indeed was helpful.. I learnt about the applications, esp about the GMaps, and will try it soon.

does anyone know any SIP application that works with blackberry over wifi? I don't have data plan, and I want to save some minutes while calling back home using my wifi without my pc.. fring works flawless on my iphone (m using freecall.com to call india), but it would be nice to have something similar on blackberry also!!
    04-03-09 12:44 PM
    Just a quick update, Palringo 1.01 has been released, which brings back full WiFi functionality, and it's a lot simpler too. In addition to the possibility of chatting on all the usual networks, version 1.01 now supports Facebook chat as well, and it will beep, upon receipt of new messages.

Palringo Rich Messaging: Features

Grab the blackberry OTA download in my sig. Yet another FREE WiFi application for all Blackberry users to enjoy!

SK
    04-04-09 08:41 AM
    I haven't tried this because I don't have much media on my PC, but apparently you can use Winamp Remote to stream media from your PC to your mobile device:

Winamp Remote Powered by Orb

My understanding is that you download software for your PC, then log on to this same website from your phone. The website connects with your PC software and your PC's music and video is streamed to you. From a forum, I read that if you have a TV tuner on your PC, you can even stream TV on your phone.

You may need the latest OS for your Berry, since it looks like Winamp Remote uses 3GP (or Windows Media, Real Media or Flash), and I believe that 3GP support first came in OS 4.5.
    Last edited by pdxuser; 04-05-09 at 11:48 PM.
    04-05-09 08:14 PM
    I haven't tried this because I don't have much media on my PC, but apparently you can use Winamp Remote to stream media from your PC to your mobile device:
    awesome, i use (or used) winamp remote to stream my stuff to my PS3... thought it wasn't that practical after all... but we'll see if streaming vids to the phone makes any sense... will try it out!
    04-05-09 11:53 PM
    orb is really for streaming vidoes, mp3,s tv and cosuments form your pc to any other pc in the world or to ur phone
    04-06-09 12:22 AM
    Is Windows Live Messenger Still not Wi-Fi-able (did I just make up a word?)
    04-09-09 05:05 PM
    has anyone found out how to sync to google calendar without a data plan??
    04-09-09 08:35 PM
    check this thread for download info on a souped up version of PrimoSync, which worked for me over wifi:

h t t p://forums. crackberry . c o m / f85/google-apps-calendar-sync-no-data-plan-there-way-164270/
    04-10-09 01:38 PM
    check this thread for download info on a souped up version of PrimoSync, which worked for me over wifi:

h t t p://forums. crackberry . c o m / f85/google-apps-calendar-sync-no-data-plan-there-way-164270/
    thanx!! now i got all my calendars synched up!!!!
    04-10-09 07:56 PM
    the new palringo is a lot easier, it has a tab that says connect via wifi. much easier than the old version
    04-10-09 10:25 PM
    twitterberry .9 works over Wi-Fi only!

TwitterBerry for BlackBerry

04-15-09 02:45 PM
    first of all, thank you for this wonderful guide!!!
    however I some questions:
    1. why is it that if I turn off the data services under mobile network option none of the apps seemed to work although wifi is on?
    2. Do youtube app works with wifi?

Please add more info/apps to this thread in the future, it convinced me not to waste money for data plan.

Thanks!
    04-16-09 12:33 AM
    The youtube site should work. Whereas for data--it is just anything data. The wi-fi radio may be on, but the phone will not accept any cellular data transmission.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 03:41 AM
380 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD