Good news,
    I downloaded Instango and I tried it w/ Wi-Fi only. It looks like it is working . I have my EDGE network turned off and in the permisions the carrrier internet permision is set to deny. I am able to use Instango with my Wi-Fi only. I know that some progarms still try to access the internet via the EDGE but I think I have it fully turned off. This is great news because I live and work in areas that I won�t get cell phone coverage but the WI-Fi is coverage is great.
    How did you set the permissions to deny?
    02-05-09 09:59 PM
    How did you set the permissions to deny?
    menu => options => advanced options => applications => instango => menu button => edit permissions

though u wouldn't have to do that if you go to settings in the instango program and set the connection to "wifi only"
    02-07-09 01:25 AM
    I found a cool app for checking the news, even if you're away from a wifi connection. It's called AP Mobile News from The Associated Press at bb.apnews.com. You can set it to wifi-only and also set it to automatically download news in the background when you have a connection. So then if you're, say, on a plane, you'll have a large selection of pre-downloaded stories to read, sorted into various categories. I don't like the font it uses by default, but fortunately there's a setting for that, too. (I prefer BBAlpha Sans with smoothing.) It asks for an email address and zip code when you first sign up. It doesn't send anything to the email address, so you can just make that up, and if you're outside the US, try 10001 for New York. Also, when you edit settings, especially in the download section, read carefully and select "Done" from the menu when you're finished rather than hit the escape/back button. Then go back to make sure your settings are how you want them. For example, in downloads, I wanted it to download the most news the most frequently, so my first four settings were 40, 0, 0, 99. It's a cool little app, and more comprehensive than any of the mobile news sites I've seen.
    Last edited by pdxuser; 02-07-09 at 09:04 AM.
    02-07-09 08:15 AM
    Yeah, the first post has to be updated, but overall this thread has helped me out a lot! Currently I have no data plan so I am glad I can use wifi for some of these applications! =D
    02-08-09 02:14 AM
    I have a BB 8820 and I disable data from AT&T and can connect fine to the following apps after reading thru this thread:

OperaMini
    FlyCast (streaming audio)
    Vlingo (voice prompt)
    Windows Live Search (It will display and error after trying to connect, just choose options and click "wifi" and it will work.
    Google maps (GMail does not work)
    02-08-09 12:24 PM
    I have a BB 8820 and I disable data from AT&T and can connect fine to the following apps after reading thru this thread:

OperaMini
    FlyCast (streaming audio)
    Vlingo (voice prompt)
    Windows Live Search (It will display and error after trying to connect, just choose options and click "wifi" and it will work.
    Google maps (GMail does not work)
    how in the world do u get google maps to work?
    02-08-09 11:55 PM
    I believe people who have BIS and can therefore download the Google Maps service book can then go on to use Google Maps over wifi. If anyone is using Google Maps without having a data plan at all, please pipe up.
    02-11-09 08:32 AM
    If anyone is using Google Maps without having a data plan at all, please pipe up.
    exactly! speaking for all of us
    02-11-09 08:58 AM
    I found a way to watch YouTube videos! Bolt is a new free mobile browser in public beta. I'm not a fan of its UI, but if you go to youtube.com, Bolt will convert your video and play it in BB's native player. The video quality is appropriately awful, but it works.

For wifi users, open the menu when the browser first tries to load and select "wifi". Also, visit the regular YouTube site, not the mobile one.

Fill out this form to get an OTA link emailed to you:

Bolt Browser - Download

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 07:54 AM
    I found a way to watch YouTube videos! Bolt is a new free mobile browser in public beta. I'm not a fan of its UI, but if you go to youtube.com, Bolt will convert your video and play it in BB's native player. The video quality is appropriately awful, but it works.

For wifi users, open the menu when the browser first tries to load and select "wifi". Also, visit the regular YouTube site, not the mobile one.

Fill out this form to get an OTA link emailed to you:

Bolt Browser - Download

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yay... great alternative... though you're right, gotta live with the worse quality... but how is it, that the bolt browser loads regular websites faster than the other two browsers? the old bolt version was much slower...
    02-17-09 09:53 AM
    OK... Guys.. Its been a few post's... Just bought the BB 8900 with Tmobile, has anyone found a way to have the FaceBook/GMaps/MySpace appplicationsto work on the wifi networks???
    02-17-09 08:30 PM
    OK... Guys.. Its been a few post's... Just bought the BB 8900 with Tmobile, has anyone found a way to have the FaceBook/GMaps/MySpace appplicationsto work on the wifi networks???
    facebook, no, but their mobile website is better than the app...
    myspace, no, as far as i know...
    gmaps, no, BUT, windows live maps app works over wifi...
    02-17-09 11:49 PM
    has anyone found a way to have the FaceBook/GMaps/MySpace appplicationsto work on the wifi
    I just answered a similar post in the 8900 forum. I completely agree with gipfeli, both sites are are rendered quite well with Opera Mini (maybe even other browsers too). If you get them to remember your username and password, then you can get to your home page at the touch of a button!

As for gmaps, you may want to try MGMaps (see the link in my signature). A completely wifi compliant program that lets you pick from Yahoo, Google, or Live maps, and it also lets you store maps offline too (when you wander outside the wifi zone).

Cheers,
    SK
    02-18-09 02:04 PM
    Thanks for the info...

I downloaded the windows live maps app, it appears in “My Downloads” but when I click on it- nothing happens. Does anyone know why?
    02-19-09 09:13 AM
    Thanks for the info...

I downloaded the windows live maps app, it appears in �My Downloads� but when I click on it- nothing happens. Does anyone know why?

This happened to me too. I read somewhere that the newest version doesn't work for 8900 and the 4.0 works. So I downloaded it through wifi and it was able to boot up. But no connection could be made. So the program works, but it doesn't run through wifi? No too sure...
    02-19-09 01:07 PM
    Download and install MGMaps, works 100% with WiFi only, and it lets you choose whether you want MSN Live, Google, or Yahoo maps.
    02-19-09 01:29 PM
    Tried MGMaps. It loads and everything, but it doesn't load the maps when I zoom in to look at the streets. I tried Live, google and Yahoo. It says "Map tile not available, please zoom out". I can only see the world map.
    02-19-09 02:02 PM
    I have been reading on the MGMaps site, and it might be that I have no full internet access? Im not sure how to set it up on wifi. Can anyone enlighten me?
    02-19-09 02:36 PM
    Hi Yaoshi

I have been reading on the MGMaps site, and it might be that I have no full internet access? Im not sure how to set it up on wifi. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Sure, open up MGMaps, go to Menu - 7. Settings - 7. Miscellaneous - 4. Advanced - Check Off - ;deviceside=true;inteface=wifi

Press save, go back to the main map, back to Menu - 0. Exit ...

You should see a blank screen saying "Saving network preferences"

It loads and everything, but it doesn't load the maps when I zoom in to look at the streets. I tried Live, google and Yahoo. It says "Map tile not available, please zoom out". I can only see the world map.
    You have to select Live and Yahoo maps...

Go to Menu - 7. Settings - 2. Map - 1. Map types - Check off the ones you want to see.

When you are done, again press save, go back to main map, back to Menu - 0. Exit

Let me know if you still have problems.
    02-19-09 07:17 PM
    Thanks so much Sonni. It helped. I never usually go into "advanced" in fear of screwing up my application. It works now! Thanks so much!

Google maps are still not showing up tho.
    Last edited by YaoShi; 02-19-09 at 07:32 PM.
    02-19-09 07:30 PM
    Google maps are still not showing up tho
    Yeah, that one I couldn't figure out either. It's a funny thing, you can use Google Maps for the offline mode, but you can't stream them directly. But hey, between MSN LIve and Yahoo maps, I think we're covered
    02-19-09 08:15 PM
    Yeah I've been trying to figure out offline mode. Ive loaded one map, but it wont let me zoom into too far. I'm still tinkering around with it. I was reading there was a way to do address search offline on the MGMaps forums. Not too sure what they are talking about tho.
    02-19-09 10:01 PM
    Is there a way to use GPS with offline mode?
    02-19-09 10:02 PM
    Is there a way to use GPS with offline mode?
    Yup, works just the same as with the online mode

Menu - 5. GPS - 1. Start GPS Navigation & 5. Mobile Tracking ON .... and away you go

PS... You may want to additionally have the map follow your location, to do this, go to

Menu -7. Setting - 3. GPS - 4. Mobile Tracking - Make sure Move map is checked

Enjoy GPS Navigation for FREE !!!
    02-19-09 10:13 PM
    Great. Works fine now! Now to create more maps.
    02-20-09 12:03 PM
380 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD