WOW! 2million is pretty low but I am still shocked.

On the eve of CES 2012, it was great to sit in on one of the RIM sessions at the ATT Developer Summit. Maurice White and John Mutter, RIM's Enterprise Mobility Architects, gave a presentation on Developing Super Apps for the BlackBerry OS and BB10 platform and what it means to be a Super App. One of the points they brought up though is the current stats of BlackBerry App World. When comparing to the other popular markets out there, it's cool to see exactly where App World stands in the global marketplace and how it stacks up against its competitors.

Key figures include:

Over 2 BILLION apps downloaded
    Over 140 MILLION apps downloaded per month
    Industry-leading reach: App World available in 130 countries and growing
    26 + currencies supported
    Carrier Billing with multiple major carriers such as AT&T, Vodafone, Rogers, etc. across 10 countries and expanding rapidly
    The average BlackBerry app generates:

43% MORE daily downloads than the average iOS app*
    48% MORE daily downloads than the average Android app*
    The market is filled with tens of thousands of apps that cover a variety of needs ranging from social networking apps to utility apps and much more. What do you think about this important milestone and on the daily downloads stats? Sound off in the comments below.

As seen on:BlackBerry App World passes 2 billion downloads | CrackBerry.com
    01-10-12 10:16 AM
    43% MORE daily downloads than the average iOS app*
    48% MORE daily downloads than the average Android app*
    Conspicuous by its absence is any revenue comparison.
    01-10-12 10:40 AM
    According to most people on this forum, apps don't matter and apps are for "toy phones".
    01-10-12 10:41 AM
    Just goes to show that quality wins over quantity.
    No fart apps here.
    01-10-12 10:43 AM
    Good numders, showing growth.
    01-10-12 10:43 AM
    Eh not entirely. If you are comparing 1/50,000 to 1/550,000 its easy to see how a single average app can make more on the BlackBerry platform. Overall though, iOS and Android app stores make significantly more. Remember this is an average.
    01-10-12 10:44 AM
    Conspicuous by its absence is any revenue comparison.
    That's all you got to add? Some of those are going to be free apps for sure, but that is where advertising on your app comes into play.

It is funny, a company has more app downloads then the others and it still isn't good enough to show that there is no problem with the company.
    01-10-12 10:46 AM
    Definitely positive stuff to hear. But the percentages of downloads per average iOS and Android apps is a bit deceiving, because you have to consider how many more of those apps are out there to be downloaded. Still, when you look at BB's lower market share than either of those two, those numbers are pretty impressive. Quality over quantity.
    And before I get flamed, that's not saying that all iOS and Android apps are junk.

Benefits to developers seems to be the resounding theme recently, so hopefully this kind of info will attract more devs to the platform and quiet down the constant no-apps criticism.
    01-10-12 10:46 AM
    Definitely positive stuff to hear. But the percentages of downloads per average iOS and Android apps is a bit deceiving, because you have to consider how many more of those apps are out there to be downloaded. Still, when you look at BB's lower market share than either of those two, those numbers are pretty impressive. Quality over quantity.
    And before I get flamed, that's not saying that all iOS and Android apps are junk.

Benefits to developers seems to be the resounding theme recently, so hopefully this kind of info will attract more devs to the platform and quiet down the constant no-apps criticism.
    Actually BB doesn't have a lower market share. It has a lower market share for new devices sold in USA only.

At last count there were 70 million active Blackberrys out in the world. That makes for a huge user base.
    01-10-12 11:15 AM
    Actually BB doesn't have a lower market share. It has a lower market share for new devices sold in USA only.

At last count there were 70 million active Blackberrys out in the world. That makes for a huge user base.
    Good point. Most recent numbers I've seen show RIM still a pimple above Apple, but pretty well behind Android. That just makes it even more impressive.

@Economist, it's been pretty well covered that devs make more per app on BBOS than on the others. Overall there are fewer apps, which most assuredly translates to fewer developers, which means an overall smaller app revenue pot. But as I understand it, individual BBOS developers can do alright for themselves.

@diavolo, that's just inflammatory and uncalled for. Thank you so much for your poignant and intelligent contribution.
    01-10-12 12:01 PM
    I was looking to download some apps today on my Torch, and for me the quickest way is to look at the top 25 free/paid top to give me a quick overlook. For the sake of all that is unholy, how many ***damned flashlight apps does one need? How many different LED/vibrate apps do people download? These are all in the top 25? Three kinds of Flashlight apps? Really?

There might be 2 billion downloads of AppWorld, but the selection is so bad I can't even find an adjective to describe it. As compared to what I can find on the iPod, their top 25 has plenty of variety, lots of stuff for kids, some interesting games and note-taking apps, and they seem to rotate based on what is truly popular. But on AppWorld, the selection seems to have been static for the last few months, always the same social apps, flashlight apps, LED light apps, etc. etc.

Pathetic. Hopefully the Android Market will bring some good.
    01-10-12 12:21 PM
    It's good to see some real data. Thanks.
    01-10-12 12:28 PM
    It's good to see some real data. Thanks.
    Now can we expect you to give us a good App for BB? We will download it...honest. The data says we do .
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-10-12 12:38 PM
    I think it has something to do with angry bird eh=p
    I'm kidding! haha
    01-10-12 12:45 PM
    01-10-12 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD