My kid would love to have a blackberry just... just because!

I won't pay for a dataplan for her and she can't afford on her own, but that's ok because ALL of what she really wants it for texting and voice calling (and maybe games, music, etc.).

So... here are my questions:

- Is any Blackberry usable without a data plan (i.e. do SMS, voice call and use other features of the phone)?

- If this is a blackberry with WiFi, will the WiFi work for web browsing and email even if there are no data plan?

- Can access to Data access through the mobile network be turned off (either on the phone or by the operator - AT&T in this case) to prevent "accidental" data charges?

Anything else I should have asked that I can't thing about because I am a total newbie with BlackBerries (I just got my Bold a week ago and so far I love it).

Txs.
    05-01-09 07:22 PM
    I cant say for ATT but for me a Sprint man for 10 yrs. You gotta get the data pack it's worth it in the long run. I believe there was a post about 1 month ago about dataplan or not to data plan and the response was WWWWAAAY for the data plan, it makes the BB useless or just plain blah not to, but smile maybe she will give it to you and you can get the data plan and booom (JOHN MADDEN) you get the full benifits of owning this HOTTT PHONE
    05-01-09 09:31 PM
    As her mom, it's up to you to decide whether or not your daughter should have data on her phone. You'll read many post around here that state a BB w/O data is pointless.

I say get it, if she abuses it in any way, take the phone from her.
    05-01-09 09:33 PM
    My kid would love to have a blackberry just... just because!

I won't pay for a dataplan for her and she can't afford on her own, but that's ok because ALL of what she really wants it for texting and voice calling (and maybe games, music, etc.).

So... here are my questions:

- Is any Blackberry usable without a data plan (i.e. do SMS, voice call and use other features of the phone)? yes

- If this is a blackberry with WiFi, will the WiFi work for web browsing and email even if there are no data plan? as far as i know, gmail & web browsing works on wifi

- Can access to Data access through the mobile network be turned off (either on the phone or by the operator - AT&T in this case) to prevent "accidental" data charges? this could be prevented by turning off the data services from your bb

Anything else I should have asked that I can't thing about because I am a total newbie with BlackBerries (I just got my Bold a week ago and so far I love it).

Txs.
    refer to my reply in bold, hope it helps
    having said that, i would still recommend data plan to go along with your bb.
    otherwise, w/o the data plan , u won't be able to fully utilize the functions of a bb
    Last edited by ipos; 05-01-09 at 10:54 PM.
    05-01-09 10:51 PM
    Research in Motion has noted in their annual reports, significant numbers of BlackBerrys are sold without a data plan. They are perfect for voice and text messages, many are used exclusivly that way.

Granting the kids unrestricted internet access has it's issues. Texting fills the need and it works with any of her friends phones.

The Pearl is the ultimate texting phone.
    05-01-09 11:03 PM
    The thing is, you'll need talk to your provider. I'm on att and have data so I don't know theirb rules, but I've heard that vrz for instance requires a data plan if you activate a BB. You can disable data on the BB itself but some require it. With att, being gsm, its nice because you can add a new line with a free phone and put the sim in a BB and it will do voice and txt. That would get you around the requirement (if they have one). The down side is you'd buy the BB outright and get no deal on the price. Best to call att and see if they require it on a new line with a BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 11:14 PM
    You can get a BB on ATT and have them turn off data access to the phone. They may charge you a different rate for the phone since your not using a data plan though. You can also use a phone with WiFi in it to use a wireless network to access the web and push e-mail services still. With a phone with wifi and no data plan (and make sure you have ATT BLOCK the data, not just turn it off on the phone or you will get charged for some things) then you can use the phone fully still whenever around a wifi network.
    05-01-09 11:18 PM
    The data plan makes the whole phone just dont get to many talk min. make it up with the data plan.
    05-01-09 11:19 PM
    My brother bought Blackjacks for him and his wife on AT&T wanting to do just phone and text. They didn't get data. But it took 3 months before they said they needed it and added it to their plan.

Blackjacks are able to work through WiFi, but AT&T said that they needed a data plan to be able to do WiFi.

Taking that information about smartphones and applying it to BBs, Sprint told me that I needed to have an Everything plan to own a BB. I blindly said, "OK" and I'm glad I did. I did the math in my 2nd month. I didn't stream too many videos or radio in my 2nd month (had to test it out the 1st month) and when I priced it out based on Sprint's $.03/K rate, I would have spend $1,500 on my bill, had I not had an unlimited data plan.

The end result is, I guess you could get a BB with no data. But whats the point? You have QWERTY keyboards on a lot of phones that don't do as much. When I chose the Curve my wife chose the Rant and she is as happy as I am.

But if you have a problem with telling your daughter that she can't have the brand of phone she wants. Don't go to crackberry. Go to mothering.com
    05-01-09 11:39 PM
    Can you still send and receive mms messages without a data plan?

05-01-09 11:45 PM
    Research in Motion has noted in their annual reports, significant numbers of BlackBerrys are sold without a data plan. They are perfect for voice and text messages, many are used exclusivly that way.

Granting the kids unrestricted internet access has it's issues. Texting fills the need and it works with any of her friends phones.

The Pearl is the ultimate texting phone.

I think the answer to your question is in the quote above yours.
    05-02-09 12:30 AM
    T-Mobile allows you to purchase Berry without data and Wifi is available. I'm on Verizon and data plan is required on Blackberry for vzw. I dont know about ATT though. They should be able to tell you.

05-02-09 08:39 AM
    T-Mobile allows you to purchase Berry without data and Wifi is available. I'm on Verizon and data plan is required on Blackberry for vzw. I dont know about ATT though. They should be able to tell you.

It isn't required for AT&T.

05-02-09 08:42 AM

Yes, if you have TMO texting

Also I have 2 BlackBerrys and I only have data for one, they're still great devices even if lacking data services.
    05-02-09 08:43 AM
    Yes, if you have TMO texting

Also I have 2 BlackBerrys and I only have data for one, they're still great devices even if lacking data services.
    If you're always around an area which has WiFi, can you tell a difference between the device with the data package and WiFi turned off versues the device without a data pavkage and WiFi turned on?

05-02-09 08:46 AM
    If you're always around an area which has WiFi, can you tell a difference between the device with the data package and WiFi turned off versues the device without a data pavkage and WiFi turned on?

WiFi is much faster, and now a days being inside means lowered signal strength but a greater chance of having a WiFi network to hop onto. I'm usually using data on EDGE which is slower than WiFi, 3G is still slower than WiFi.
    05-02-09 08:49 AM
    WiFi is much faster, and now a days being inside means lowered signal strength but a greater chance of having a WiFi network to hop onto. I'm usually using data on EDGE which is slower than WiFi, 3G is still slower than WiFi.
    I've thought I noticed WiFi being faster then 3G. On a different note, is there a way to set the device to prefer WiFi for the data connections without turning the mobile network off? I hope this makes sense.

05-02-09 09:38 AM
    In the options, you can switch daya services to "Wi-Fi only" so data will only connect through wifi and not anywhere else. Calls ans SMS will come though normnally.
    If she likes to IM get the FREE blackberry feature enabler so she can IM and MMS without a data plan. Will cost text though, but I'm assuming shed have unlimited?

05-02-09 10:48 AM
    In the options, you can switch daya services to "Wi-Fi only" so data will only connect through wifi and not anywhere else. Calls ans SMS will come though normnally.

I can't find the option under mine. Probably thanks to AT&T
    05-02-09 12:19 PM
    I can't find the option under mine. Probably thanks to AT&T

Current Arsenal:
    BlackBerry 9000 "BOLD" (OS v4.6.0.247)
    iPhone 8gb (OS v 2.2.1 (5H11)) "Jail Broken"
    Future Phones:
    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    BlackBerry 8900 Curve II
    Nokia E72 and N95-8GB (N95-4)
    Next Generation iPhone

That option will only be available on Wifi equipped BlackBerry.

Your profile indicates a Curve 8310, no Wifi. The Bold does support Wifi, is that where you are looking?
    05-02-09 12:24 PM
    That option will only be available on Wifi equipped BlackBerry.

Your profile indicates a Curve 8310, no Wifi. The Bold does support Wifi, is that where you are looking?
    Yes, for my bold...and thanks for reminding me that I need to change that on my profile.

05-02-09 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD