I swear the android users get so defensive in these threads. Both operating systems work as a pocket PC. Use the one that gets things done the way you like to get things done. Cue the misinformation victim police in 3...2...

Posted via CB10
    True. They both do some things which are PC like. However, one does much more with less limitations than the other

Sent from my gesture controlled Nexus 4
    08-25-13 11:55 AM
    the Android I have CONTROLS ME AND I DON'T LIKE IT!

Posted via CB10
    Thus my earlier comment about not knowing how to use it lol..

Donvald likes this.
    08-25-13 11:57 AM
    True. They both do some things which are PC like. However, one does much more with less limitations than the other

Having 9 apps running instead of 8? It is a limit but not one I have issue with. I never have more than 6 open. But you are correct technically it is a limit. You can do this all day and I have little doubt you will. But the bottom line is some people prefer to do things the BlackBerry 10 way and you'll just have to live with that.

Posted via CB10
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    08-25-13 12:01 PM
    Thus my earlier comment about not knowing how to use it lol..

Okay, you are right. You win! No go tell mammy!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:05 PM
    Are people seriously complaining about Android closing apps on its own? I'm guessing some BlackBerry 10 users have never tried opening more than 8 apps at once.

I just opened all of the apps in my recent tasks view on my Nexus 4. I went one by one opening all of the 17 apps in that view and not a single one restarted when I re-launched it. None of the opened tabs in Chrome had to reload either.

I can't believe that some people actually think BlackBerry 10 has a multitasking advantage over Android. If BlackBerry 10 can multitask better than Android, than I'd love to see someone open up 17 3rd party apps at once on it. My Nexus 4 has no problem keeping 17 apps ready for me to use as needed without having to relaunch them. So why can't BlackBerry 10 do that?
    bekkay, Etios, Berry_Pink and 3 others like this.
    08-25-13 12:10 PM
    Thank you for you effort but I don't need your help. I have my verdict - I use android as my media/entertaining device, I use my Q10 as mobile PC (work phone). I have lowered the use of my laptop since I got the Q10 (my first BlackBerry) significantly.

I don't want a developer to decide when the app closes or stays in the backgroung - I am smart enought to make these choices my self!
    So basically you're refusing any further discussion, and rejecting any and all evidence (including video proof) that disproves your claims.

Thanks for making that clear.
    bekkay, Donvald and richardat like this.
    08-25-13 12:10 PM
    So basically you're refusing any further discussion, and rejecting any and all evidence (including video proof) that disproves your claims.

Thanks for making that clear.
    No, but I am going to the pool and planning to have a fun afternnon. I have no time to argueing with you.
    For each its own - some people need 17 apps open, I need 10 tabs in the browser open + 2, 3 apps.
    But when the sun rises tomorrow, Q10 will help me make benjamins and when I get to luch I will use the Android for some fun.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:17 PM
    No, but I am going to the pool and planning to have a fun afternnon. I have no time to argueing with you.
    Well ok, take as much time as you need. I've already given you the links, there's video proof there that contradicts your claims. If you're not close minded and refuse to consider new evidence, then watch the videos. Or don't. Everyone is still free to post their opinions, except that yours in this case will be uninformed.
    bekkay, Donvald and richardat like this.
    08-25-13 12:24 PM
    omg please just stop
    08-25-13 12:50 PM
    1. Totally wrong. I run stock 4.0.3(I know, its a bit old) and although there is plenty of free ram it closes apps all the time, whenever it wants. So next time you go back to the app it just starts over.

2. Open a full desktop page in the browser, then open gmail, music, navigation, gallery, go back to the browser and you will see the same page re-loading again because the "smart" kernel desided you don't need that anymore. And this is super frustrating when I have lost network services and I can't reload the page. In addition it increases data consumption. I have tried vertually any available browser and they all work the same way.

3. While this works for some apps (gmail) it slows me down. And again, it doesn't work all the time

Overall, Android is faking multitasking with the idea to "help" to user save battery power and resources but I can never trust it - it might work for others but it doesn't work for me as a mobile computer. Thats MY opinion if you don't like thats fine, but don't try to convince me that Android has true multitasking.

Edit: Just tried going back to an email I have opened in gmail last night via the multitask window and while it did get there it definetely re-loaded the email. Total time waisted about 5-6 sec. Not cool.

Posted via CB10
    1) Never happens on my phone. Never happened to me on my older phones unless I was close to the RAM limit. You may want to install a different ROM or check whether you have faulty HW.

2) Just opened The Verge full site (in AOSP browser), then Yahoo Mail (don't have Gmail installed), stock mail, DropBox, Gallery, and a bunch of other apps. Returned to the browser. The page is there. No reloading.

3) Again, if developers program their apps to run in the background, the apps don't close. So it's not a limitation of Android.

So, you are definitely projecting your experience to the OS overall and make overgeneralized conclusions.
    Donvald likes this.
    08-25-13 01:08 PM
    Which is very similar to SwiftKey.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry or android - Which is more like a pocket PC?-uploadfromtaptalk1377454713892.jpg  
    bekkay likes this.
    08-25-13 01:18 PM
    When did I tried to convince anybody? I stated my opinion and people started to convince me I am wrong
    The following doesn't sound like an opinion.

no app/hack/custom rom can make Android multitask like BB10. Its just the way Android handles it - it will close you apps whenever it wants, dump the pages you loaded in the browser quickl; anytime you go back to some apps by hitting the shortcut (such as gmail) it will start over instead of going back where you left off.
    And you were indeed wrong and corrected. And there is nothing bad about it. After all, one of the outcomes of our participation in public fora is that we learn something new.
    08-25-13 01:19 PM
    i love bb has good computing tools ,but yes needs more apps to realize its mobile computing dreams
    08-25-13 01:19 PM
    I love my BlackBerry but it seeks the way my friends have their Android devices set up the clear winner is android by far.
    Judging from some of the responses here some people have never bothered to set up their devices to do what they require so it depends if you are willing to put the time in to make the Android device work so it gives a superior experience or you just want what BlackBerry offers you

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:44 PM
    In addition, just like on your PC you can pick from different apps to open your file, or choose a default one to always open it.
    Doesn't BB10 get this feature too? In 10.2?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:55 PM
    Doesn't BB10 get this feature too? In 10.2?

Posted via CB10
    i havent seen it yet on 10.2
    08-25-13 01:58 PM
    thor wake up fulfill your mobile computing dreams and forget about minting money by selling company
    08-25-13 02:01 PM
    Almost anything you can do on BlackBerry, you can also do on Android. Besides, Android has far more things that you can do, which you can't yet do on BlackBerry due to the paucity of apps. That is my honest assessment.

However, I'll still say that the choice boils down to:
    1. What would you like to do?
    2. Which platform(s) support these tasks?
    3. On which platform or device would you love to do these tasks?

For me, the answer was that just about any platform supports the tasks that I want to do, however the BlackBerry Q10 is the device on which I would most enjoy doing them. This is primarily because of the physical keyboard. Smartphones are expensive devices, so one might as well buy one that is fun to use. Of course, your mileage may vary as to what "fun to use" means.
    1) What would I like to do? I would like my phone be able to do everything and support future things.
    2) Which platforms support these tasks? For a great many things, the only platforms that support those tasks are Android and to a lesser extent iOS. Unfortunately BB10 is eliminated before I can get to question three.

I have a lot of gadgets and would like my gadgets to work together (M2M). One could say I have an internet of things right now. Of the things I have, my Z10 can only talk to two of them: Those are my WDTV Live via DLNA, and my Trendnet home security camera.

My Android and iOS devices can also use those but they also have apps for my Synology NAS, Pocketfinder GPS tracker, Zephyr heart rate monitor, Smart TV with miracast, Nest thermostat, Pebble smartwatch, Chromecast (on order), SticknFind Bluetooth location sticker (on order). I'm also thinking of adding at some some point the following a Home automation solutions (Micasaverde) for lights, door locks, home security.

The Z10 sits like a loner at a party, unable to participate in that internet of things because of an undeveloped ecosystem and in some cases, technical limitations.

I can also rest assured that if something new comes up that the two big platforms will support it. Google Glass, for example.
    08-25-13 03:22 PM
    Some people are definitely big time LIARS or multitask like mt grandparents. I just played with a Note II which has more recent version of Android and double the ram:
    Same problems folks - just for 30 minutes I was able to replicate problems on my phone - browser dumps the pages, apps re-open when you get back to them later. Good example with this is Dolphin browser.
    Damn why I listedn to you, waisted my my afternoon.

And don't tell me it needs to customized cause I am tired of spending time "tweaking"

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:31 PM
    Some people are definitely big time LIARS or multitask like mt grandparents. I just played with a Note II which has more recent version of Android and double the ram:
    Same problems folks - just for 30 minutes I was able to replicate problems on my phone - browser dumps the pages, apps re-open when you get back to them later. Good example with this is Dolphin browser.
    Damn why I listedn to you, waisted my my afternoon.

And don't tell me it needs to customized cause I am tired of spending time "tweaking" Posted via CB10
    OK, do you want me to volunteer and post a video? If I do, will you apologize for calling names and admit you were wrong? Or will you say I "photoshopped" my video? I am pretty sure it will be the latter

EDIT: By the way, you probably also failed to notice that the Note you played with offers multi-window multi-tasking

EDIT 2: I was able to replicate page reloading on my wife's phone. I am pretty sure this has to do with the fact that the phone only has 356Mb of usable RAM. So, it's definitely not an OS limitation, but rather hardware limitation, and what Android probably does is it dumps the webpage when you run out of RAM.
    Last edited by bekkay; 08-25-13 at 04:09 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    08-25-13 03:38 PM
    Actually Legacy BB is more like Pocket PC then anything else, out of the box.
    I agree. That's actually why I decided to go with BlackBerry to begin with...
    08-25-13 04:16 PM
    Are people seriously complaining about Android closing apps on its own? I'm guessing some BlackBerry 10 users have never tried opening more than 8 apps at once.

I just opened all of the apps in my recent tasks view on my Nexus 4. I went one by one opening all of the 17 apps in that view and not a single one restarted when I re-launched it. None of the opened tabs in Chrome had to reload either.

I can't believe that some people actually think BlackBerry 10 has a multitasking advantage over Android. If BlackBerry 10 can multitask better than Android, than I'd love to see someone open up 17 3rd party apps at once on it. My Nexus 4 has no problem keeping 17 apps ready for me to use as needed without having to relaunch them. So why can't BlackBerry 10 do that?
    The difference is basically the following: there are three states in which an app can be in BB10

1. Open in an Active Frame while completely running, even when minimized
    2. Closed but still in RAM for faster relaunch (this happens when you launch an app and hit the X once and short - I discovered this through the App Manager in 10.2)
    3. Completely closed, not in RAM (press and hold the X from of an Active Frame)

On Android, apps, when minimized, get paused. Some don't and can run in the background but not all of them. In case of BB10, many applications that should be up and running are managed through the HUB and don't need a speperate app in the background (as opposed to Android). I NEVER ran into trouble with too less open apps and I don't see any advantage for Android here. BB10, especially with upcoming headless apps, gives you better control over multitasking over my opinion. I don't want every screen and app to be paused and pushed to the task switcher when I hit a home button - it's an awkward process. Home-Button > press and hold or press taskswitcher to show last used apps > swipe away to close > back to honescreen. BB10: Upswipe > X - done.

What do I need 17 apps crowding my taskswitcher for, most of which are paused and don't run anyway? I have no clue really. BB10 is superior to me.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 04:32 PM
    i havent seen it yet on 10.2
    Me neither (Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1047) , but I heard of it.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 04:33 PM
    android, this should be a poll question
    08-25-13 06:42 PM
    I love Blackberry but I think android takes it away here. Android has pretty good customization. It reminds me a lot of Windows PC's how you can customized anything, there is an app for everything and you can put icons/widgets where ever you want.
    08-26-13 07:25 AM
166 ... 23456 ...