When I read this it makes me think that all those things you were able to do with an Android phone mean it is much more like a computer than a BB.
    Let's not troll. Deleting applications to stop the phone doing aggravating things so it will run normally, it's just deleting applications. And unlike android, BB handles things properly automatically.
    djsvet likes this.
    09-01-13 01:05 PM
    Let's not troll. Deleting applications to stop the phone doing aggravating things so it will run normally, it's just deleting applications. And unlike android, BB handles things properly automatically.
    Ahahahahahahaha.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    09-01-13 01:23 PM
    1. Totally wrong. I run stock 4.0.3(I know, its a bit old) and although there is plenty of free ram it closes apps all the time, whenever it wants. So next time you go back to the app it just starts over.

2. Open a full desktop page in the browser, then open gmail, music, navigation, gallery, go back to the browser and you will see the same page re-loading again because the "smart" kernel desided you don't need that anymore. And this is super frustrating when I have lost network services and I can't reload the page. In addition it increases data consumption. I have tried vertually any available browser and they all work the same way.

3. While this works for some apps (gmail) it slows me down. And again, it doesn't work all the time

Overall, Android is faking multitasking with the idea to "help" to user save battery power and resources but I can never trust it - it might work for others but it doesn't work for me as a mobile computer. Thats MY opinion if you don't like thats fine, but don't try to convince me that Android has true multitasking.

Edit: Just tried going back to an email I have opened in gmail last night via the multitask window and while it did get there it definetely re-loaded the email. Total time waisted about 5-6 sec. Not cool.

Posted via CB10
    I'd bet this is because of your device. Which phone do you have? HTC has modified the multitasking on some of their older phones due to the amount of memory they shipped with the phone and other reasons. If you have an older phone and are trying to compare that to a phone that to bb10 then you're not being fair. It was released in April 2012. You should at least be comparing an Android 4.1 device.
    09-01-13 01:58 PM
    Thank you for you effort but I don't need your help. I have my verdict - I use android as my media/entertaining device, I use my Q10 as mobile PC (work phone). I have lowered the use of my laptop since I got the Q10 (my first BlackBerry) significantly.

I don't want a developer to decide when the app closes or stays in the backgroung - I am smart enought to make these choices my self!

Posted via CB10
    Take two currently priced cell phones then you can get a fair assessment. Take a new bb10 phone and comparing it to 1.5 or 2 year old phone is like handicapping one of the phones. Not a fair comparison. Maybe that is how you want it to be. That's cool. If your happy with your bb10 phone then it doesn't matter what any of the other phone OS's can do.
    09-01-13 02:08 PM
    BB10 currently doesn't even have headless apps and is limited to 8 concurrent apps. So yeah, it does handle things "automatically"

Had these been the constraints on Android, I am pretty sure it wouldn't be the leading mobile OS.
    09-01-13 02:16 PM
    I didn't read this entire thread

I would say that bb10 is more like a pocket PC straight out the box, but when you take all the many android apps into account it has the edge. If you spend a bit of time geeking out on your Android you can do some pretty incredible things with it

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 02:16 PM
    And that poster's Android device represents all Android devices how exactly?

The poster that removed everything from his phone stated that the phone only has 1gb of ram, how well does BB10 perform with 1gb of ram again? Oh wait, that's right.

That poster also never told us which version of Android he is running or which phone it is. For all we know, his Android phone could be a few years old and running gingerbread. Bottom line, I highly doubt he has Jelly Bean and that many problems. I have in my hand a 1gb, entry level LG phone that has Jelly Bean and all of the bloat that comes with a OEM skinned device, yet it runs perfectly fine.
    09-01-13 02:17 PM
    And that poster's Android device represents all Android devices how exactly?

The poster that removed everything from his phone stated that the phone only has 1gb of ram, how well does BB10 perform with 1gb of ram again? Oh wait, that's right.

That poster also never told us which version of Android he is running or which phone it is. For all we know, his Android phone could be a few years old and running gingerbread. Bottom line, I highly doubt he has Jelly Bean and that many problems. I have in my hand a 1gb, entry level LG phone that has Jelly Bean and all of the bloat that comes with a OEM skinned device, yet it runs perfectly fine.
    Moreover, the poster does not realize that he is complaining about headless apps (that he can delete or disable by the way), which are currently absent on BB10. So the comparison is indeed flawed as one of the OSs is much more limited than the other.
    Saiga likes this.
    09-01-13 02:26 PM
    I'd bet this is because of your device. Which phone do you have? HTC has modified the multitasking on some of their older phones due to the amount of memory they shipped with the phone and other reasons. If you have an older phone and are trying to compare that to a phone that to bb10 then you're not being fair. It was released in April 2012. You should at least be comparing an Android 4.1 device.
    this.

4.0.3 was released in december 2011 and 4.0.4 came out in march 2012 and its being compared to a 2013 os, its like comparing the bold 9790 os7 released in november 2011 to a 2013 android on 4.3 or 4.2.2 and saying yes its a little old but its crap compared to my other phone!
    09-01-13 02:32 PM
    I didn't read this entire thread

I would say that bb10 is more like a pocket PC straight out the box, but when you take all the many android apps into account it has the edge. If you spend a bit of time geeking out on your Android you can do some pretty incredible things with it

Posted via CB10
    I'd say you're the most level headed person to throw your opinion in to this thread.

That being said, my laptop died. I was looking for a replacement for it. I'm not a gamer, not a programmer, just need the basics. Plugging in through hdmi, and using a bt keyboard, I used my phone. Only problem is my TV is just too dammed big. I don't need a 52 inch computer monitor, in fact, it was kind of painful just due to size. Bought an samsung galaxy note. 10.1. So frustrating! I couldn't do anything I wanted. Just to use office documents the way in used to, using keyboard shortcuts without having to constantly touch the screen and go through menus, I would have had to buy a 15 dollar app that is free on my Z. (trust me, I downloaded a LOT of office apps). Ended up returning the note and buying a windows tab. In my case, if I had a smaller tv my phone, out of the box could do exactly what I needed. The Note, after going through several free and inexpensive apps, could not.

Oh, and btw, the windows tab with free apps is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 02:37 PM
    Moreover, the poster does not realize that he is complaining about headless apps (that he can delete or disable by the way), which are currently absent on BB10. So the comparison is indeed flawed as one of the OSs is much more limited than the other.
    I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're exactly right. BB10 isn't capable of doing the things that Android are. So there really isn't a fair way to compare them. I imagine every Android phone in the world would run buttery smooth at all times if they all had those restrictions and 2gb of ram in place.
    bekkay likes this.
    09-01-13 02:39 PM
    I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're exactly right. BB10 isn't capable of doing the things that Android are. So there really isn't a fair way to compare them. I imagine every Android phone in the world would run buttery smooth at all times if they all had those restrictions and 2gb of ram in place.
    Well, not every. To be fair, the pre-JB Android versions stuttered no matter what the hardware was.
    Saiga likes this.
    09-01-13 02:45 PM
    Well, not every. To be fair, the pre-JB Android versions stuttered no matter what the hardware was.
    Haha, I dunno I've never used a 2gb Android device that was n't running Jelly Bean. It is a interesting thought. Now this conversation has me wondering how well Cupcake would run on my Nexus 4.
    bekkay likes this.
    09-01-13 02:52 PM
    this.

4.0.3 was released in december 2011 and 4.0.4 came out in march 2012 and its being compared to a 2013 os, its like comparing the bold 9790 os7 released in november 2011 to a 2013 android on 4.3 or 4.2.2 and saying yes its a little old but its crap compared to my other phone!
    I agree. The date I got for 4.03 was a quick Google search but I'd have to say in the last 1.5 years that Android 4.1 had some huge improvements which really makes a difference. Android 4.2 was a nice improvement as well. Now 4.3 is out and I'm not to sure if thats anything major but testing is already on going for Android 5.0 which should be a huge update since 4.3 was pretty minor. Many believe that Google tried to optimize everything so you could run it on old hardware from 2 or 3 years ago. Kind of like how Windows phone 7 and 8 ran great no matter what the hardware was. This is vital due to all the cheap phones sold in emerging markets. Many run on a few years old hardware which has these companies putting old versions of Android on them. If they get Android 5.0 to run on low end hardware Android would have less fragmentation which mean Apps can be designed for new versions which mean way better apps. Right now Nokia sells a Lumia 521 which is $114 OFF CONTRACT at walmart and around the world. It runs just as fluid as the $200 phone ON CONTRACT. Having low cost, not cheap looking, fluid phones is what BB needs if they are to survive. They won't survive in the U.S. since we have moved away from keyboard phones and haven't seen any advertising that excited us to even look at BB products. If BB had a phone around $114 phone that doesn't look cheap they could make sell they could do well in emerging market and help stabilize BB.. Their current low cost phone "looks" extremely cheap and won't sell like the Nokia 521 will. There is an extremely small window for this since a cheaper iPhone is coming. Nokia's 521 is their best selling phone now and cheap Android phones are selling great all over the world. BB better hurry up or.....
    Acidwire likes this.
    09-01-13 03:09 PM
    I have learned a lot from my question. 9790 being my first phone I thought it was comparable to a PDA with the qwerty, email, and file system.
    09-01-13 03:22 PM
    Lots of people on this thread are trying to convince we to spend another $600 on a new phone just to prove myself that I am wrong and that because my phone is running outdated version 4.2 will be different...BS (its the kernel that's wrong, not the features).

As I have already mentioned , I played wits NoteII, One, and yesterday got my hands on a S4 (AT&T ver). Aren't all these 2gb of ram high end phones?

Well folks, same problem (for me its a BIG deal) - apps don't actually close down when you want to cloe them down; browser re-load pages after I have opened 4-5 other apps. On the S4, it took just 2 minutes to replicate the browser problem.

Sure you can have 17 apps open at the same time, you can have 1700 probably but if they are paused or reloaded next time you get back to them, especially the browser - a core app, or if you can never close them, for me that is just anothe iOS - customizable and jailbroken, but iOS, candy OS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djsvetljo; 09-03-13 at 06:42 AM.
    09-03-13 06:32 AM
166 ... 567