Wouldn't the answer be NO? You would require an Application for that functionality, am I correct?

Then Android would be considered a media consumption OS on a device.
    It would be like buying a laptop that you can power on and get onto the internet to acquire applications to make it function like a computer.
    Oh, you buy computers with all possible software pre-installed for free?

Can you, please, share a link?
    08-24-13 03:59 PM
    I mean how is navigation around the folders on the phone, how does it compare to browsing around your home PC. Not dropbox and cloud hosting.

Pocket PC I mean which one is more like a PC in your pocket, like you can do things such as office.
    There's the built in stock file explorer which some users seem not to be aware of, but there's this wonderful free program called ES File Explorer. The UI is so efficient and easy to use.

You can copy and move files between and across:
    • internal memory and SD card
    • your shared drives on the LAN
    • your NAS
    • a thumb drive
    • a portable hard drive
    • six different cloud services
    • an FTP server

In addition, just like on your PC you can pick from different apps to open your file, or choose a default one to always open it.

Also you can share it using other apps, change the file attribute to hidden, zip it up, or create a shortcut to the file your desktop. This is handy if there's a note you want always have handy. If it's an image, you can make it into your background wallpaper.
    08-24-13 03:59 PM
    I mean how is navigation around the folders on the phone, how does it compare to browsing around your home PC. Not dropbox and cloud hosting.

Pocket PC I mean which one is more like a PC in your pocket, like you can do things such as office.
    See my links above.
    Rello likes this.
    08-24-13 04:00 PM
    Actually Legacy BB is more like Pocket PC then anything else, out of the box.
    08-24-13 04:04 PM
    What if you have files you need to get off a USB drive? Or want to watch movies off a 1TB hard drive? How does one go about doing that with BB10? You would need to go and hook both up to a computer in order to do that. Android, simply plug in with the necessary adapter and your good to go.

Sent from my gesture controlled Nexus 4
    Donvald and richardat like this.
    08-24-13 04:06 PM
    PS I think a lot of people answering never used a Pocket PC lol
    08-24-13 04:06 PM
    My question is do all of these Android wonder devices allow the user to access their computer's files directly thru the phone's built-in file manager? I've never run an Android device, but I have used WP8 and iOS, which don't have that capacity.
    08-24-13 04:07 PM
    What if you have files you need to get off a USB drive? Or want to watch movies off a 1TB hard drive? How does one go about doing that with BB10? You would need to go and hook both up to a computer in order to do that. Android, simply plug in with the necessary adapter and your good to go.

And how is that relevant to Pocket PC lol
    08-24-13 04:08 PM
    PS I think a lot of people answering never used a Pocket PC lol
    LOL you're the one who's confused. Read a few posts up. What you're referring to as Pocket PC is not what the OP meant.
    Rickroller and Donvald like this.
    08-24-13 04:15 PM
    My question is do all of these Android wonder devices allow the user to access their computer's files directly thru the phone's built-in file manager? I've never run an Android device, but I have used WP8 and iOS, which don't have that capacity.
    Does it matter if it's thru the built in file manager? It can be easily accomplished with Android, that's all that matters..

08-24-13 04:16 PM

08-24-13 04:17 PM
    Once upon a time there were 4 operating systems you could choose from for your desktop. Apples MacOs which was quite good but expensive and a little bit limiting and patronising in the way it hid all the interesting bits away from users - nothings changed there then and three others.
    Windows 95 which dominated despite being cobled together and full of security holes.
    Linux which had evolved from Unix which predated the desktop computer by a decade or so which was both cheap and well thought out - but failed to catch mass market apeal.
    And finally -
    OS2 probably the best of the bunch developed by IBM who had more than any other company developed the desktop PC which sadly arrived a little to late to the party to get noticed. When comparing these desktop operating systems to today's mobile operating systems:
    Apples still Apple although maybe were all a bit richer as it seems more are prepared to pay Apple premium prices than ever before.
    Curiusly linux which was never popular has been transformed into android which undoes almost everything that was good about linux and repeats all the mistakes of Windows 95 some how also repeating the success.
    Windows 8 which has evolved in stages from earlier windows operating systems into something pretty solid and for microsoft surprisingly cheep.
    Finally we have OS10 which it seems finds it's self in a similar position to IBMS OS2.

Now we should learn from history so I guess BlackBerry need to avoid the mistakes made by IBM with OS2

PS I could also throw in RISC OS as an analogy for WebOs. And AmigaOs for symbian although the chronology may be a little out.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 04:18 PM
    Does it matter if it's thru the built in file manager? It can be easily accomplished with Android, that's all that matters..
    Free as well. The point is, built in or otherwise , many of these things are impossible to accomplish in Blackberry.
    Rickroller likes this.
    08-24-13 04:19 PM
    LOL you're the one who's confused. Read a few posts up. What you're referring to as Pocket PC is not what the OP meant.
    Sorry but Legacy file explorer behaves far more like a PC then anything else, fact.
    08-24-13 04:25 PM
    Sorry but Legacy file explorer behaves far more like a PC then anything else, fact.
    This isn't a thread about which file explorer acts most like a pc. It's about which OS is more PC like. Which happens to be Android, fact.

Donvald likes this.
    08-24-13 04:43 PM
    The BlackBerry is like a little PC.

BB Z10 Rocks!
    08-24-13 04:53 PM
    It does you can use dlna or remote desktop or smartglass
    Alot more functions then a bb
    08-24-13 05:38 PM
    Oh, you buy computers with all possible software pre-installed for free?

Can you, please, share a link?
    Ubuntu keep it mind it comes with open Source software in all catergories

or worse comes to wear well cannt mention it cause they are illegal copies of xp lol
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    08-24-13 05:41 PM
    Android, in absolutely every sense is more like a pocket PC than BB10 is. Flexibility, customization, and access to a plethora of useful applications.
    "Customisation" you hit the nail on the head there. Android will always be more of a pocket PC until you can customise your BB10, Make it your own instead of what blackberry forces you to have.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 05:42 PM
    For sure Android is like a pocket sized PC.... more viruses, more bloatware, inconsistent user interfaces between apps, very frequent updates, hacks all over the place... you betcha: just like MS Windows 3.11 in a teeny, tiny box. Oh yea, I want to go back 20 years to that... ;-)
    08-24-13 06:30 PM
    More apps doesn't make any android more like a pc, and alot of Android apps are total crap not to mention all the malware and spam apps.
    Bb10 feels far more organised so in my book it's more like a finely tuned machine compared to a android.
    And what's more I love the way bb10 flows, almost a better experience than a pc and definitely android.
    08-24-13 06:31 PM
    Almost anything you can do on BlackBerry, you can also do on Android. Besides, Android has far more things that you can do, which you can't yet do on BlackBerry due to the paucity of apps. That is my honest assessment.

However, I'll still say that the choice boils down to:
    1. What would you like to do?
    2. Which platform(s) support these tasks?
    3. On which platform or device would you love to do these tasks?

For me, the answer was that just about any platform supports the tasks that I want to do, however the BlackBerry Q10 is the device on which I would most enjoy doing them. This is primarily because of the physical keyboard. Smartphones are expensive devices, so one might as well buy one that is fun to use. Of course, your mileage may vary as to what "fun to use" means.

BBQ10
    08-24-13 06:39 PM
    Hands down - BB10 is the winner.
    I own them both - no app/hack/custom rom can make Android multitask like BB10. Its just the way Android handles it - it will close you apps whenever it wants, dump the pages you loaded in the browser quickl; anytime you go back to some apps by hitting the shortcut (such as gmail) it will start over instead of going back where you left off.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 06:51 PM
    Ubuntu keep it mind it comes with open Source software in all catergories
    OK, then Windows, MacOS, and all commercial Ubuntu distros can just "be considered a media consumption OS[s] on a device"
    08-24-13 06:57 PM
    Hands down - BB10 is the winner.
    I own them both - no app/hack/custom rom can make Android multitask like BB10. Its just the way Android handles it - it will close you apps whenever it wants, dump the pages you loaded in the browser quickl; anytime you go back to some apps by hitting the shortcut (such as gmail) it will start over instead of going back where you left off.

Posted via CB10
    Ya...just don't open a 9th app on BB10, lol.
    08-24-13 06:57 PM
166 1234 ...