One of the things that made me get a blackberry last year rather than an android was because the OS and the qwerty really made it stand out like a pocket PC which don't really exist anymore. But with advances in OS/technology, which one is more like a pocket PC? Are either of them anything like pocket PCs anymore?
    08-24-13 02:40 PM
    i feel android still has the lead here because of the app advantage. There are some thing that BB10 does better but overall it still has some drawbacks too. Thor still has to show us the mobile computing thing he talks about.
    08-24-13 02:41 PM
    Does android have a file management system like blackberry?
    08-24-13 02:42 PM
    android has many file manager apps yes, its not like iOS
    08-24-13 02:50 PM
    But android doesn't have a file management like BlackBerry where Box, Dropbox, SD card, Device is all together.

I have an android phone and a tablet. When I save something sometimes I don't know where it's saved to.

JayZ10
    08-24-13 02:58 PM
    Agree, BB10 best file browser out of the box. On android, there are many apps but most of them real crap. Don't remember which I've used actually (root browser or something).
    FSeverino likes this.
    08-24-13 03:02 PM
    Android, in absolutely every sense is more like a pocket PC than BB10 is. Flexibility, customization, and access to a plethora of useful applications.
    08-24-13 03:05 PM
    But android doesn't have a file management like BlackBerry where Box, Dropbox, SD card, Device is all together.
    Many file managers have cloud services integrated (more than just Box and Dropbox).

For example:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.metago.astro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
    jaylysf likes this.
    08-24-13 03:12 PM

I have an android phone and a tablet. When I save something sometimes I don't know where it's saved to.

JayZ10
    Try root explorer. For me it has my phone storage, SD card, drive, box, Dropbox, and network drives.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using CB Forums mobile app
    bekkay, Donvald, richardat and 2 others like this.
    08-24-13 03:12 PM
    Agree, BB10 best file browser out of the box. On android, there are many apps but most of them real crap. Don't remember which I've used actually (root browser or something).
    This is what I am using. Pretty solid.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fm.clean
    08-24-13 03:13 PM
    I would have to say that Android is hands down winning right now. Given time though, if they make it, BlackBerry will be the leader I think.
    08-24-13 03:16 PM
    honestly android is way more advanced in this respect
    bekkay and Donvald like this.
    08-24-13 03:16 PM
    Android - Windows OS
    Apple - OSX

BlackBerry - Ubuntu
    Windows Phone - Debian
    Jerale Hoard and pttptppt like this.
    08-24-13 03:18 PM
    Only one platform lets you do the following PC like things, here is a small sample:

You can run programs in multiple windows shown on the screen like on your PC
    You can connect USB peripherals like flash drives, hard drives, game controllers, speakers, etc just like on your PC
    You can turn the phone into an FTP, web server, DNS server, media server, email server, etc like on your PC
    You can install ad blockers, system monitors, and vpn proxies like on your PC
    You can connect to shared drives or NAS systems just like on your PC
    You can install an IDE and develop native programs right on the phone just like on the PC

There are manufacturers who are actually selling or planning to sell PCs based on Android. HP, Acer, and Asus are making Android laptops. There have been a few generations of USB Stick Android computers that is typically used as a game and media server.
    richardat likes this.
    08-24-13 03:18 PM
    ANDROID. Clearly.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 03:19 PM
    They both function as pocket PC's. You just have to pick the one that you prefer and fulfills your computing needs.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 03:21 PM
    Yes. I would put Android first because of that in this regard. Then iOS then BB. iOS actually does files okay if on iCloud or Dropbox but not as well locally.
    08-24-13 03:22 PM
    I am mostly talking about locally, and navigation.
    08-24-13 03:30 PM
    I am mostly talking about locally, and navigation.
    What do you mean by "locally"? And people don't do navigation from their PCs? Wait, are you referring to "Pocket PC"' Microsoft's defunct platform?
    08-24-13 03:33 PM
    Does android have a file management system like blackberry?
    Wouldn't the answer be NO? You would require an Application for that functionality, am I correct?

Then Android would be considered a media consumption OS on a device.
    It would be like buying a laptop that you can power on and get onto the internet to acquire applications to make it function like a computer.
    DoktorFace likes this.
    08-24-13 03:40 PM
    What do you mean by "locally"? And people don't do navigation from their PCs? Wait, are you referring to "Pocket PC"' Microsoft's defunct platform?
    I mean how is navigation around the folders on the phone, how does it compare to browsing around your home PC. Not dropbox and cloud hosting.

Pocket PC I mean which one is more like a PC in your pocket, like you can do things such as office.
    08-24-13 03:41 PM
    Wouldn't the answer be NO? You would require an APP for that functionality, am I correct?
    No. The file system is there. A file manager app is just that, an app to manage the files. Blackberry 10's file manager app is an app you know...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-24-13 03:43 PM
    Android

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 03:45 PM
    No. The file system is there. A file manager app is just that, an app to manage the files. Blackberry 10's file manager app is an app you know...
    Is it there upon first operation and baked into the OS?
    08-24-13 03:47 PM
    Is it there upon first operation and baked into the OS?
    Yup, on every one I've ever used. But what difference does it make? It's an app, which can be replaced with even better apps. Bb file browser is also an app, which can be replaced with even better apps.
    bekkay, Donvald, richardat and 1 others like this.
    08-24-13 03:52 PM
166 123 ...