All I can say is welcome back.
    10-10-10 07:45 AM
    I agree about the chip and the engine consuming gas. very good analogy indeed!
    10-10-10 07:58 AM
    Agreed but i want BB to keep the physical keyboard.
    Definitely what keeps me with my bb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 12:17 AM
    Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread. I feel like I need to make a confession or something. :-)

I had the BB Bold 9650 and upgraded to the Style when I switched providers. I gave the Style 3 months. While I liked the OS, the flip top was driving me so crazy that I wanted something else. I bought the HTC EVO last Friday...even though my contract isn't up and I had to buy the thing outright.

Within hours I was considering switching back to BB. I gave it the weekend and I got kinda used to the EVO, but now I'm having second thoughts again.

While the EVO frees me from the flip phone style, I'm finding I don't like the physical keyboard as much as the one on BB. I wish the physical keyboard would automatically insert apostrophes and periods like BB does.

It also drives me crazy that Android doesn't fit with Outlook so it's a bigger pain to keep track of my To Do list and my Notes. Sure, I know there's an app for everything, but I don't want to have to add an app for everything.

The battery life is disappointing too. And, as others have mentioned here, there's a lot of fluff and eye candy on an Android but most of it is stuff I don't need.

In short, the Android is fine if you're a 17-year-old who likes to mess with apps. I'm a 41-year-old businessman who doesn't need all that extra stuff. While BB apps are limited, Android is the other extreme; there are TOO MANY options for me.

On top of all this, I have to mention the extra $10/month that Sprint charges for 4G. But I don't live in or go to a 4G area.

I feel stupid for dropping a big chunk of money just to escape from BB, hoping that Android would be more to my liking. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who went to Android and came back to BB. Well, I haven't come back yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it...
    01-24-11 06:41 AM
    I've been thinking of switching from an iPhone to an Android phone, what are your thoughts on this (talking to anyone who has experience with the platforms here)?

I like my 3GS but it's over a year old now, and I don't want an iPhone 4 due to the fact I find that phones work better when they're able to receive a signal, amazingly enough.

Another reason is I'm beginning to hate how locked down the App Store is. I like more openness, and I like putting custom firmwares and hacks on my stuff - so Android makes sense in that respect.
    Then I would suggest the android. After jailbreaking the iphone its just boreing. The lack of a file manger on the os blows my mind. The iphone could be so much more. But.........

01-24-11 07:49 AM
    wish the physical keyboard would automatically insert apostrophes and periods like BB does.
    It also drives me crazy that Android doesn't fit with Outlook so it's a bigger pain to keep track of my To Do list and my Notes. Sure, I know there's an app for everything, but I don't want to have to add an app for everything.

The battery life is disappointing too. And, as others have mentioned here, there's a lot of fluff and eye candy on an Android but most of it is stuff I don't need.

In short, the Android is fine if you're a 17-year-old who likes to mess with apps. I'm a 41-year-old businessman who doesn't need all that extra stuff. While BB apps are limited, Android is the other extreme; there are TOO MANY options for me.
    Wow somebody else thinks the same way as I do.

01-24-11 07:58 AM
    While the EVO frees me from the flip phone style, I'm finding I don't like the physical keyboard as much as the one on BB. I wish the physical keyboard would automatically insert apostrophes and periods like BB does.
    The physical keyboard does allow you to have the option to insert periods (with a double space) the same as a BB. You just have to configure it in your Keyboard Settings. And it will also translate il > i'll and wer > we're as well natively.

As far as battery life..people need to realise that not all phones are the same. Each Android manufacturer has plus's and minus's. HTC is known for terrible battery life..but top notch support. Motorola's are known for much better battery's and great build quality...but terriible native UI (Motoblur). Samsung's are known for great screen's..but "cheap" and "plasticy" builds as well as terrible support. All of the Android manufactures are in competition with each other..as well as the BB's and iPhones..so every phone will have a different look and feel and give a different impression.
    01-24-11 08:23 AM
    I also have tried and owned many platforms like first gen iphone, iphone 3g, htc aria, blackberry 8520 (some call that a downgrade not me though) and finally I am using a BB Torch and I love the **** out of this phone.

01-24-11 09:08 AM
    I also have tried and owned many platforms like first gen iphone, iphone 3g, htc aria, blackberry 8520 (some call that a downgrade not me though) and finally I am using a BB Torch and I love the **** out of this phone.
    I have experences on all of those devices. I agree with you the torch is much better.

01-24-11 09:18 AM
    As another who went from Tour to Samsung Galaxy S, it took a lot of getting used to, and tweaking. One of the reasons I got the SGS was that it was a free upgrade, and something new.

It took a couple of weeks to make the change over from BB to Android. I had to load up apps so I could do things that the BlackBerry did natively (autotext, notifications, bedside mode...). But that is one thing I actually like about my SGS - I can configure it however I want. Then again, I am one who likes to tweak things.

If the Torch or Storm were available on my carrier, I would have probably switched to one of those. Although it would have been nice to move up to a wifi model, the differences between the 9630 and 9650 weren't enough to have me pay to upgrade (pay $150 for minor hardware upgrades, or free Galaxy S), and BB6 wasn't out yet for the 9650.

I'm not married to Android. I do like it. I also like my BlackBerry (which still gets used, just not as my daily driver). I'm hoping to see better BlackBerry devices (on all carriers) in the future.
    01-24-11 09:48 AM
    Illnesses from which BB addicts and most users suffer:
    1 You bring your BB to the bathroom with you.
    2 Complete happiness when u reach a traffic light or get stuck in traffic.
    3 You giggle or burst out into hysterical fits of laughter even when you are alone.
    4 It doesn't matter who or what is around you.
    5 Back aches, neck pains and problems with posture.
    6 You leave your nails as short as possible so u can glide across your keypad.
    7 You sleep with your BB beside you.
    8 Completely obsessed with BBM.
    9 Free publicity and marketing for BB.
    10 You make fun of other cell phone brands, especially Nokia.
    11 Depression when something happens to your BB.
    12 Stress when your BB has no EDGE.
    13 Bipolarity and random fits of rage when the BB service goes off for even 5 minutes.

If this wasn't true you know I, wouldn't broadcast it.
    Lol, u just described me!

catwoman66 likes this.
    01-24-11 11:12 AM
    I'm surprised the Android phone most people tend to complain about IRT battery life is the Evo.

TBQH, that phone isn't even that good to begin with. Crappy display, terrible battery life (WiMax especially, does a number on it), poor internal storage, bad HD Video recording and dubious camera quality. At least HTC is fast with software update, though.

But anyways... I almost feel sorry for Sprint users, because they only have the WiMax devices to choose from when it comes to Android phones worth paying for, and most of them get the Evo 4G which has been known to have terrible battery life since release. It only takes 2 minutes on Google to know that phone is a huge fail when it comes to uptime.

A Vibrant would have been much better, and they have FroYo now :P

Personally I'm just gonna get the Bold 9780 and keep both of them, and I'll still criticize both platforms because it's fun and there's nothing wrong with showing discontent when you want one or the other to improve in one way or another.

But actually trying the phone out was the right thing to do, so I commend the OP.
    01-24-11 12:09 PM
    Lol, u just described me!

I woke up this morning unable to move my neck, it's so sore ... I'm taking a sick day and almost ready to go to the ER. I think it's from using my phone too much, TBH...
    01-24-11 12:10 PM
    revaddict - I'm glad like the many others you were able to see how much BB can do for you ! I'm happy for you !

01-24-11 12:25 PM
    The physical keyboard does allow you to have the option to insert periods (with a double space) the same as a BB. You just have to configure it in your Keyboard Settings. And it will also translate il > i'll and wer > we're as well natively.
    Really? When I complained about this to the tech at the store, she just said the phone was made this way because you can insert that stuff with a physical keyboard.
    01-24-11 09:09 PM
    Wow somebody else thinks the same way as I do.

Thanks. I'm about 85% certain I might go back to the store and have them reactivate my Style tomorrow. I'll sell my EVO and wait 9 months until I can upgrade to a better BB.
    01-24-11 09:12 PM
    Really? When I complained about this to the tech at the store, she just said the phone was made this way because you can insert that stuff with a physical keyboard.
    It's been established for quite some time that most of them are idiots.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-24-11 09:19 PM
    Unfortunately for those considering switching to a new platform, the new 2 week trial period at VZW will probably not be enough time to fully allow people to evaluate the new system. I wasn't nearly as comfortable at two weeks going from a Storm to an Incredible as I was a couple of months later. Plus, many people with busy lives just don't have that much spare time over the course of two weeks to tinker around with their phone. It will probably entrench people into sticking with what they have. Maybe it will help BB withstand the iPhone launch.
    01-24-11 09:40 PM
    Welcome back!

01-24-11 10:15 PM
    Whew! I bit the bullet today and had Sprint reactivate my BB Style. I put my EVO on Ebay and I hope I don't end up in too big of a financial loss.

The bottom line: BB is all I will ever need. I'm glad to be back!
    01-25-11 03:21 PM
    I'm surprised the Android phone most people tend to complain about IRT battery life is the Evo.

TBQH, that phone isn't even that good to begin with. .
    I didn't have any trouble with "TBQH", despite never having seen that before, but "IRT batttery" has me stumped. Anyone?
    01-25-11 03:37 PM
    I didn't have any trouble with "TBQH", despite never having seen that before, but "IRT batttery" has me stumped. Anyone?
    In relation to

1812dave likes this.
    01-25-11 07:30 PM
    Yea. In Regards To or In Relation To...

I need to take a break from the internet...
    1812dave likes this.
    01-25-11 07:39 PM
    Posts like this are fantastic. This is really what a great forum is all about.

I myself am frustrated with Blackberry at the moment and will be switching to android soon (not sure which phone). I've tried a few different ones via my friends and really like the whole set up. Of course playing with one and using it on a daily basis are two different things...

I know one thing though, I'll be damn happy to get rid of this storm 2!

01-25-11 08:06 PM
    The only reason I've considered an Android device is I've been told you are able to teather up to 5 laptops... That would save me 50 bucks a month on my wireless card.

What keeps me away from it is, between my son and sister they've been through 6 in 5 months. That's a deal breaker.

01-25-11 08:35 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD