Hello CrackBerry! It's been quite a while since I last posted here, but I wanted to post my thoughts about my smartphone journey.

A little background: My first ever BlackBerry was an unlocked 8700 with the side scroll wheel. I was young and didn't really know how to use the thing. I received it as a hand-me-down from a relative, and had to unlock it to use with my network. I couldn't browse the Internet or do a whole lot with it, but I remember loving it more than anything! No BlackBerry phone did Brick Breaker quite like the 8700. After my 8700 ran its course, I moved on to a Curve model (can't remember which one in particular). I adored the track ball and thought it was the best innovation ever. I remember it getting stuck so much and viciously rubbing it against a piece of paper to try to clean it off until it eventually stopped working for good. I then bought a Bold 9780, and that is still my favorite phone I have ever owned. The track pad was everything I could have hoped for, and I loved the keyboard. It was built like a brick, but had screen issues. I think I went through about two or three of them because I had to keep returning them to T-Mobile due to the screen issue. My last one lasted me until I bought my Z10. Waiting for BlackBerry 10's release was one of the most agonizing things I've ever had to do. I was so ready to move on to the future, and couldn't wait to see what BlackBerry was going to do. When I got my Z10, I couldn't stop using it. The Hub, the gestures, the updated interface. It was all perfect. I would download leaked software updates, complain on these forums about the lack of headless notifications, sideload every app under the sun, anticipate the latest rumor about Instagram making its way to BB10. I was there for all of it.

Fast forward to a little over a year ago: T-Mobile decided it was done with BlackBerry, my Z10 had unbearable battery life, and I was starting to get sick of missing out on some of the great things that Google provides. My upgrade was available, and I decided to move on from BB. I bought an LG G2, which is my second favorite phone to date, and was in awe. I couldn't believe how great the screen looked, the surplus of added features that Google Play Services made possible, and the battery that I knew and loved from my old BlackBerry phones. I knew I made the right decision. After a year, my opportunity to "JUMP" came, and I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, which is my current daily driver. It's fast, it has the best screen I've ever seen on a phone, and it looks amazing while doing it. At this point, I'm sold on Android. There's no way I could ever turn back...

That was until I saw T-Mobile rekindled its ties with BB, and made the Classic available. As I do with just about anything in the technology world, I began to watch videos, walkthroughs, unboxings, etc. It brought back all the nostalgia I could ever imagine. I saw the Hub, and realized how dearly I missed it. The physical keyboard was in its best form. The track pad was back to select text with. F**k.

Now, as I sit here and type this, I am left trying to decide whether or not I should pony up the cash for a used Classic from the forums. I'm a man who likes to fully research what he's buying into though, and here are my thoughts:

The Classic is a workhorse. It has the battery, the keyboard, the Hub, the Amazon App Store. However, it's missing some key things that could make it a competitor:
    • A solid camera - I don't take many pictures, but there are moments in my life that require high quality, on-the-go pictures
    • Fast processor - When using just native BB10 applications, this processor seems to handle things fine. However, when using Android apps, it seems to lag and suffer a bit. This isn't a huge dealbreaker, but I know I'd get annoyed.
    • Google Play Services - Of all the things that I love about Android, this is the biggest. I truly hope the rumors about 10.4 are true, because it would have me running back to BB with open arms. I know people cry foul about Google in the name of safety, but for me, and for most users, Google Play Services would be a welcome addition
    • A quality screen - This isn't too important to me, but I would miss the stunning screen of my last two phones. It just makes doing everything that much more of a pleasure.

I know some on here will say that Google Services on a BB would be detrimental, but I have to disagree. The average consumer such as myself still remembers there BlackBerry phones, and I think a phone like the Classic, but with modern-class specs and Google Play Services would be a success.

I dearly miss my BB, and I would love a Classic to possibly have as a second phone, but the fact of the matter is that Google is too convenient to miss out on. As new features and third-party accessibility comes out, you only ever see two logos at the end of the commercial: a half bitten apple, and 6 iconic letters. It's a shame because I think BB has the best OS available, and it just needs support to go along with it. In an ideal world, I'd still have my BlackBerry, and would have never left, but it's tough as a consumer to see so many people move forward with technology and services, while you're a little behind. It's like being in the Olympics and getting bronze in every competition. You're happy because you did such a great job, but you look at the silver and gold wishing you were there instead. I am still a BB supporter at heart, and defend the company every chance I get, but I think they will lose even loyal customers myself until they add the accessibility that the world craves.

PS: If anyone wants to give me a Classic This JUMP program is a contract in and of itself. Can't get out unless I pay off the full EIP of a device.
    Alex Alex and MO3iusONE like this.
    07-20-15 03:19 PM
    07-20-15 03:26 PM