I have a situation that happened yesterday and no one at my carrier or Blackberry RIM can answer what happened.
    Yesterday morning my blackberry was working fine - getting all my email accounts, just a little slower than usual in pulling them up. This is a perxonal blackberry, not business related. About 1:30 I get an email on my Blackberry account that says I have requested my password. This was not the case at all and I tried to call and ask about why this was sent. I set the phone down to answer another call at work and when I picked the phone back up I noticed that all of my email folders were missing. I thought, OK Blackberry is having another problem of some kind so I cut the phone off, took out the battery and "rebooted" it. Still no luck in finding the folders so I looked on the "setup" section and could see all my email accounts still in there. All my previous emails were still viewable - now just nothing new coming in.
    Called my carrier and now my Blackberry "BIZ" account doesn't exist anymore. Gone. I am not talking about deleting my email accounts - my blackberry account has vanished. My carrier suggested that I try to set it back up again and it let me use the same account name and password that I had used 2 years earlier.
    My carrier assisted me in contacting BB and they showed no record of my account prior to me doing it that day. They could not track why I got an email requesting my password and said they could not delete a complete account. My carrier showed no info on why my BB account would be deleted. The most that I could get out of BB was how to add an email, which I knew. I finally got them to understand that it wasn't my individual emails that were missing. BB says that a BB can NOT be hacked but now I am concerned because I didn't ask for my password. NO ONE knew my BB biz account name or anything about it. Can anyone please shed some lighton what happened yesterday? My carrier and BB said that an individual can not delete a complete account either so how did it get gone?
    I am NOT a teckie type person so if you have an answer you may have to speak slow and not use big words
    02-02-10 02:28 PM
    Well, first thing's first. Log into BIS portal and CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD TO A COMPLEX ONE. Next, try to remember if by chance you might have sold an older BB that you forgot to wipe? Generally speaking, this shouldn't happen, but if your BIS username is not unique enough (i.e. your real name is something common and you used that for the username), there's a small chance someone could have mistaken your account for theirs or vice versa. One thing is most definite... someone was trying to log into BIS portal using your username and requested the password (the link on the login page that states "Forgot Password"). What happened after that, is a mistery. Most likely the person making the request could have called into the carrier to have their password changed. They provided the username and password they thought was theirs, which was in fact yours, but in the process the carrier's customer service rep didn't look close enough at the account to make sure it was the same one. Usually, this doesn't happen, but anything is possible.

I would make sure the MEID and PIN of your BB is correct on the BIS portal and I would definitely change the password to a more complex one and watch the account for the next week closely. If someone is mistaking your BIS account for theirs (because the userids are close), it'll happen again... possibly. Just watch it close and see what happens. If it's fine for the next couple of weeks, it'd make a note of it, but not worry about it. Also, if you're super paranoid, you could also change the passwords on the email accounts that were listed on your BIS account, just to be safe.
    02-02-10 02:45 PM
    Well, first thing's first. Log into BIS portal and CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD TO A COMPLEX ONE. Next, try to remember if by chance you might have sold an older BB that you forgot to wipe? Generally speaking, this shouldn't happen, but if your BIS username is not unique enough (i.e. your real name is something common and you used that for the username), there's a small chance someone could have mistaken your account for theirs or vice versa. One thing is most definite... someone was trying to log into BIS portal using your username and requested the password (the link on the login page that states "Forgot Password"). What happened after that, is a mistery. Most likely the person making the request could have called into the carrier to have their password changed. They provided the username and password they thought was theirs, which was in fact yours, but in the process the carrier's customer service rep didn't look close enough at the account to make sure it was the same one. Usually, this doesn't happen, but anything is possible.

I would make sure the MEID and PIN of your BB is correct on the BIS portal and I would definitely change the password to a more complex one and watch the account for the next week closely. If someone is mistaking your BIS account for theirs (because the userids are close), it'll happen again... possibly. Just watch it close and see what happens. If it's fine for the next couple of weeks, it'd make a note of it, but not worry about it. Also, if you're super paranoid, you could also change the passwords on the email accounts that were listed on your BIS account, just to be safe.
    well said.the most important thing is to change your password immediately and use a complex password .
    02-02-10 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD