I have the 9700 and 9780 with bell. I live in toronto, canada if it makes any difference. Well on my 9700 when i go to maps i can start gps navigation and it will show me where i am and keep on updating where i am like a gps

Well on the 9780 maps does not allow this. It just shows where i am right now, i does not move when i go other places.

Is there any way to fix this. I loved how i got free gps nav with maps on my 9700. With my 9780 this doesnt work.

Since i use the feature everyday, i am going to have to sell my 9780 and keep my 9700.

Is there any way to make gps nav work on maps on the 9780? Thank you in advance for your help.
    12-07-10 11:28 PM
    Which OS version are you using? Alt + Right Shift + h (App Version on the 3rd line)

I don't actually use BB Maps, but I know that there was a new version preinstalled in OS 6.0.0.294 that might fix your problem
    12-07-10 11:34 PM
    platform: 6.5.0.54

app version: 6.0.0.285 (863)
    12-07-10 11:36 PM
    I hope everyone understood my question.

on the 9700 it was just like a gps i would update instantly as i moved around.

on the 9780 i have to constantly click where my location and it will show me where i am right at that moment. So i cannot track my movement or speed or directions like on my 9700
    12-07-10 11:38 PM
    I have the same OS version, also in Ontario, and I'm pretty sure mine updates like you said your 9700 did. I can't test it right now because I'm in the middle of a snow storm, hah.
    12-07-10 11:40 PM
    app version: 6.0.0.285
    That could be your problem then, as you have the old version of BB Maps on your phone.

Probably best to wait for someone to confirm that your issue was fixed in the newer version, before attempting an OS update.
    12-07-10 11:42 PM
    so when you drive around it tells you speed and directions and where your moving like a gps for free using maps?

why is mine not working then?
    12-07-10 11:42 PM
    I have the same OS version, also in Ontario, and I'm pretty sure mine updates like you said your 9700 did. I can't test it right now because I'm in the middle of a snow storm, hah.
    so when you drive around it tells you speed and directions and where your moving like a gps for free using maps?

12-07-10 11:43 PM

It just moves. It doesn't tell me my speed like a GPS. But try Blackberry Traffic?
    12-07-10 11:43 PM
    Hi,

I live in the GTA and also have a 9780 running .285 on Bell.
    If you open BB maps, you will get a bubble popup in the bottom right of your screen with your mph and direction of travel. The arrow on the map will move with you.
    12-08-10 12:31 AM
    Hi,

If you open BB maps, you will get a bubble popup in the bottom right of your screen with your mph and direction of travel. The arrow on the map will move with you.
    So i just open maps on menu screen and the bubble pops up when i start moving?

Thanks,
    Vince
    12-08-10 12:38 AM
    It did for me, I just drove around my street....but I never use BB Maps. I have GPS as part of my plan.
    Bell also gave you the TeleNav GPS free for a month..why not use
    that?
    12-08-10 12:40 AM
    Telenav is not free for me and i don't have gps on my plan. I use maps frequently on my 9700 because it was free and worked amazingly well.
    12-08-10 01:04 AM
    Mine works fine, just last night. I have noticed that you should select My Location in the menu and then it showed me moving along the map with the speed in the lower right. There is also a north/direction up option.
    12-08-10 10:25 AM
    Hello there.

I too have a Bold 9780 (T-Mobile branded) and constantly encounter issues with the Telenav GPS application. Whenever I cycle power on the device, the issue temporarily clears. Yet, shortly thereafter the Telenav application tells me it cannot connect to a GPS satellite.

I've talked to technical representatives with T-Mobile and Telenav about this problem. Both parties have advised that I cycle power, "refresh location" under Location Settings, and do a uninstall/reinstall. Unfortunately, this only provides a temporary fix. I'm thinking the application has a bug of some kind that will require an update to resolve. Yet, I also encounter the same GPS problem when pulling up Blackberry Maps.

Granted, I understand the Bold 9780 is a new device. But, the hardware is essentially the same as the 9700 (excluding camera and internal memory). Other than that the new OS may have bugs as well. Either way, I'd appreciate any feedback or advise on how to resolve this issue. I'm contemplating the idea of returning the product. But, if an update will fix the issue, I may consider being patient.

Thanks!

NOTE: Telenav is 6.0.2029, Blackberry OS is v6.0.0.285.
    Last edited by The8thDR; 12-08-10 at 02:15 PM.
    12-08-10 02:13 PM
    It just moves. It doesn't tell me my speed like a GPS. But try Blackberry Traffic?
    I take that back and...

Hi,

... second this. Just tried it out while driving.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-10 03:15 PM
    I should state for the record that I have had a few instances where the GPS seemed non-functional. A soft reset or battery pull fixes it. Annoying, but we're early in the game here.
    12-08-10 10:48 PM
    Honestly, other than the GPS issue my experience with the Bold 9780 has been great. Nevertheless, whether the root of the problem lies in the Telenav application or the OS, I believe it should be addressed and resolved.

In the meantime, I uninstalled Telenav through the Blackberry Desktop software, cycled power (with a battery pull), reinstalled Telenav, and then cycled power again. This has provided a fix to my problem, but I don't know for how long. (I'll keep updates posted in this thread.)

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
    12-09-10 03:04 PM
    Telenav is not free for me and i don't have gps on my plan. I use maps frequently on my 9700 because it was free and worked amazingly well.
    I used BB Maps on my 9700 as well and liked it primarily because it gave your speed which was something Google Maps can't do.

On OS5, you have a menu option to 'Start GPS Navigation' or something and it would lock and track your movements (until at least you touched the trackpad and then the lock was lost.. a real pain in the **** as to why there isn't a re-center option like '0' in Google Maps).

I remember on the Torch, OS 6 didn't have the 'Start GPS Navigation' option so you could use it for directions or finding your location but not, say, just to start having it track where you were if you were walking around. This was a real disappointment for me so as I think this is the same issue you are having, I can understand the frustration.

I'm just checking it out on my 9780 and the menu options you get now are 'My Location' but that will just show you where you are. If you start to move, I think the marker will move but the screen wont keep centered on you so eventually the marker will be off the screen but you'll continue to get the speed indicator.

It's a bit tough to check since I'm inside and it's -20 outside so I'm not tempted to check it out more... at least not tonight

Anyways, that's why I still use Google Maps since it tracks better (well, at least in OS6). So, if it really is still an issue, hopefully it will get fixed in a future OS release and in the interim, you still have Google Maps which is free and the BB version is a lot better than the iPhone version.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
    12-09-10 06:09 PM
    I've been trying to pay attention to when GPS is working and not, and while I don't have a cause pinned down it does not seem to work for more than a day at a time. I'm now wondering if it is a hardware or software issue. Does RIM have a bug report conduit anywhere?
    12-11-10 01:19 PM
    I used BB Maps on my 9700 as well and liked it primarily because it gave your speed which was something Google Maps can't do.

On OS5, you have a menu option to 'Start GPS Navigation' or something and it would lock and track your movements (until at least you touched the trackpad and then the lock was lost.. a real pain in the **** as to why there isn't a re-center option like '0' in Google Maps).

I remember on the Torch, OS 6 didn't have the 'Start GPS Navigation' option so you could use it for directions or finding your location but not, say, just to start having it track where you were if you were walking around. This was a real disappointment for me so as I think this is the same issue you are having, I can understand the frustration.

I'm just checking it out on my 9780 and the menu options you get now are 'My Location' but that will just show you where you are. If you start to move, I think the marker will move but the screen wont keep centered on you so eventually the marker will be off the screen but you'll continue to get the speed indicator.

It's a bit tough to check since I'm inside and it's -20 outside so I'm not tempted to check it out more... at least not tonight

Anyways, that's why I still use Google Maps since it tracks better (well, at least in OS6). So, if it really is still an issue, hopefully it will get fixed in a future OS release and in the interim, you still have Google Maps which is free and the BB version is a lot better than the iPhone version.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
    I have the same issue after I upgraded my 9300 to OS6(6.0.0.380)

Anyone found a solution for this or we need to wait for the next upgrade?
    12-25-10 07:52 PM
    I have the same issue after upgrading to Blackberry 6. With os 5, there was a menu option to start/stop gps navigation. Is it a glitch that it's missing from 6??
    12-29-10 11:01 AM
    Same problem here. I think OS 6 doesn't have a "Start/Stop GPS Navigation" option.
    12-29-10 12:32 PM
    I stopped looking for solutions on the net, I installed Google Map v4.4, and now contemplating downgrading to OS5...
    01-04-11 01:03 PM
    I am having the same problem with my 9780. Telenav only seems to work when I first refresh the GPS or do a hard reset by taking out the battery. When I speak with Telenav they tell me its a hardware issue but I have now gotten a brand new 9780 and have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
    01-24-11 08:32 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD