hello everyone,

im a newbie to this forum so please bare with me. i recently purchased a blackberry 8830 for the bell mobility network with a sim card from someone on kijji. i have a contract with bell, and i am wondering if i purchase myself a sim card from bell do all i have to do is put in the card, and the phone should work, or does it need to be unlocked or whatnot.

thanks in advance
    02-15-10 04:03 PM
    yes you may need to add a data plan to get all features
    02-15-10 04:07 PM
    I am pretty sure that Bell is on a CDMA network which means no simcard. Double check that the phone is compatible with Bell network first.
    02-15-10 04:21 PM
    I am pretty sure that Bell is on a CDMA network which means no simcard. Double check that the phone is compatible with Bell network first.
    Not quite. The 8830 being a "world phone" does have both a CDMA and GSM
    side so there is a SIM card slot.

Problem is, locked or unlocked, the GSM side is for European GSM
    frequencies only. It won't work on North America GSM frequencies.
    02-15-10 04:33 PM
    The 8830 doesn't have HSPA. To use a SIM card on Bell you need a HSPA phone as they don't have an EDGE network. In conclusion a Bell SIM card on the 8830 will do nothing.
    02-15-10 04:37 PM
    it is a bell mobility phone. its has the logo on the actual phone and when it loads it says bell. and the old number is the same area code as mine. it also has a sim card slot. and bell is on a cdma network

thanks
    Last edited by drivesafrontier; 02-15-10 at 07:58 PM.
    02-15-10 07:55 PM
    Yes. But as noted above, that will only work internationally as that device doesn't have a radio with frequencies that will work on GSM bands in North America.
    02-15-10 07:58 PM
    thanks for the replies
    02-15-10 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD