Okay so I am running on the Verizon network, just changed my settings. As anticipated, Google Maps still can't utilize the gps. Blackberry maps still works the same. Tried installing Amaze Gps, the non-Verizon one for the 8330 that actually uses the gps. No good either. Maybe I did something wrong? All my settings are still intact.
    07-20-09 10:59 AM
    Interesting info here. FWIW however to all the Verizon folks out there, I've done the full scale "hack" with the utility software and it doesn't allow the use of GPS for 3rd party apps so I expect the same to be true here. The settings listed here are the same ones used with the software/usb cable method. Become familiar with BB Maps and enjoy it.

Again, I'm talking about Verizon only. I'd love to eat crow here and will eagerly await examples where it works. I'll be the first one to try it if there's widespread success with this method or any other.
    07-20-09 11:39 AM
    Remember to use GPS you pretty much have to be outside. You are not going to get a signal from indoors. Indoors and using Google maps you are still going to get an approximate location (via towers). I have not had a chance to try it outside as of yet.

EDIT, BB Maps is working fine if I stand next to a window, but Google Maps still does not seem to realize I have GPS turned on. Hmmmm
    Last edited by shaon94; 07-20-09 at 01:37 PM.
    07-20-09 01:35 PM
    Is there any way to get the old settings back? I changed mine and now GPS won't work at all. I can't find where I wrote them down either. Could someone give me their original IP and port or am I just out of luck?
    07-20-09 02:14 PM
    Is there any way to get the old settings back? I changed mine and now GPS won't work at all. I can't find where I wrote them down either. Could someone give me their original IP and port or am I just out of luck?
    I remembered that a similar question came up many moons ago in the "Real GPS Fix" thread. I found posted settings there for a Verizon 8830, I'm thinking they're probably the same but not 100%. If you're without GPS altogether though, you might use at your own descretion:

IP: 0.0.0.0
    PDE Port: 4911
    PDE Transport: IP
    Pos. Calc.: (blank/nothing selected)
    07-20-09 04:09 PM
    Sorry, i was referring to the thread "the real gps fix".. I followed those instructions and it worked perfectly.. The only downside, is i had to downgrade my OS because the memory sector in the phone you need to access (read only) is blocked in the newer os's.. I believe i had to downgrade to 4.5.0.77. I was running 4.5.0.131 at the time.
    07-20-09 06:10 PM
    Then go back up to "Transfer Protocol" and set it to "TCP/IP" or "DBE" depending on the list below and then save

I don't get this part?

I agree.....what is this supposed to mean?
    07-22-09 11:56 AM
    Worked awesome! Only problem is Google maps still is using the towers instead of GPS. Any suggestions?
    07-23-09 08:50 AM
    Does anyone know why the information entered gets reset after a reboot/battery pull? Works great except for that... Any input would be greatly appreciated...
    07-24-09 10:14 AM
    Worked awesome! Only problem is Google maps still is using the towers instead of GPS. Any suggestions?
    Goto your about screen, if it says you have a 8330m then no matter what you do you won't be able to get gmaps to use GPS its not a hardware issue its due to the way gmaps interfaces with the "m" and until google fixs it, the GPS won't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 05:45 PM
    seems to work for me and im on verizon

it give me mph, map moves and turns with me
    Last edited by luniz7; 07-24-09 at 07:01 PM.
    07-24-09 06:53 PM
    Just tried to get onto the website, but it says the link is broken? Anyone know if it's just the website or if BB had it removed? Thanks.
    07-31-09 07:51 PM
    RIM finally called me yesterday saying that the GPS not working in my 8330 is a limitation of US Cellular. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I followed some instructions from a forum post at crackberry.com and got it working. They then told me to call US Cellular back and speak to them as RIM has let US Cellular know that it is not working correctly on the 8330m and possibly other BB devices due to the limitations of US Cellular's system.
    08-01-09 12:04 AM
    This is very interesting. I'm waiting to hear from some more Verizon users who have successfully hacked their phone before I try it on mine.
    08-01-09 01:52 AM
    I've tried both ways on Verizon 8330. Doesn't work. I finally broke down and bought a GSP bluetooth puck. It works great. It's not really that big of a hassle carrying an extra device, since the puck is about the size of a tic-tac pack but half the thickness. Google maps still sux but aMazeGPS works great. GMmaps (not goole maps) works great after I got it up and running (check out the GPS w/o data post).
    08-02-09 08:38 AM
    Yeah this does not enable you to use the built in gps in anyother way than you could before. I am going to get a puck myself and not worry about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 08:45 AM
    lmao at the puck myself

forkup
    08-02-09 08:49 AM
    I third Devils question!
    08-02-09 07:43 PM
    Another slave of big red checkin in, like everyone else I tried it and only got bbmaps to work. The way I see it if you have "America's Largest Network" you basically have three options: 1)Pony up and pay the extra whatever it costs for VZW Navigator per month. 2) Like Omega and Officer Hammond buy a puck and run it off of that. Or 3)Forget abut GPS on your phone, cuz it ain't gonna happen.
    08-03-09 12:20 AM
    Another slave of big red checkin in, like everyone else I tried it and only got bbmaps to work. The way I see it if you have "America's Largest Network" you basically have three options: 1)Pony up and pay the extra whatever it costs for VZW Navigator per month. 2) Like Omega and Officer Hammond buy a puck and run it off of that. Or 3)Forget abut GPS on your phone, cuz it ain't gonna happen.
    Or 4) Get used to BB Maps
    08-03-09 02:14 AM
    and soup up bbmaps...this would solve all the issues!
    08-20-09 02:53 PM
    I was hoping this method would work on my 8230 but the unlock code doesn't work. (The QPST method doesn't work either.)
    08-20-09 03:51 PM
    I have an Alltel 8330m and this works well for me with one exception. It will not maintain its settings. If I go change the settings then I get one use of BB maps with Gps when I close BB maps it changes the last setting for operation mode back to standalone from MS and then it does not work again..is there a way to make that setting stay in place.
    08-21-09 10:42 AM
    Ya, im afraid to try it. i am waiting for some sort of confirmation
    08-21-09 12:22 PM
    It Works Fine Every Time, Just Wont Save It For More Than One Use.
    08-21-09 12:59 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD