Random question. My area has good 3G service and i never have an issue with my internet, but is it less battery to have it wifi connected and not use the 3G? or more battery for wifi?
    10-04-10 03:59 PM
    I used to have a bb logo next to my wifi signal and its not there anymore...anyone have this issue lately? Specifically anyone on Sprint? Please no smart comments or crap talking, I'm asking a legitimate question and just want to know. I've only had my 9650 for about 2 weeks now and it used to be great. Full signal IXEV all the time, fast flawless...now...not so much. Spotty signal, phone getting hot, all that. And I installed OS6 from the very start so I don't think its that...unless it took a while for it to act like that. but I'm not sure. I thought OS6 was supposd to improve signal?
    10-04-10 05:27 PM
    Random question. My area has good 3G service and i never have an issue with my internet, but is it less battery to have it wifi connected and not use the 3G? or more battery for wifi?
    If you are using WiFi, it will drain your battery way more than being in a 3G area using the carrier service if you are comparing those two options.
    10-04-10 06:27 PM
    If you are using WiFi, it will drain your battery way more than being in a 3G area using the carrier service if you are comparing those two options.
    Wrong! If you are using wi-fi it will be much more battery efficient than using the 3G network and faster to boot.
    My experiences are EXACTLY opposite of what you are saying. I don't think you can advise anyone on an ABSOLUTE way to go without knowing what type of coverage for wi-fi they have in the area where they are.

I happen to work in a building complete with several different wi-fi networks and my coverage is so fast and plentiful, my battery isn't even touched.

So what you said is not necessarily true. And wi-fi is always faster.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 10-04-10 at 07:12 PM.
    10-04-10 07:05 PM
    Wrong! If you are using wi-fi it will be much more battery efficient than using the 3G network and faster to boot.
    My experiences are EXACTLY opposite of what you are saying. I don't think you can advise anyone on an ABSOLUTE way to go without knowing what type of coverage for wi-fi they have in the area where they are.

I happen to work in a building complete with several different wi-fi networks and my coverage is so fast and plentiful, my battery isn't even touched.

I must concur.......I have a very bad signal at my house and whenever I'm home I ALWAYS turn my radio off and use wifi because its much better on my battery. Granted, I only turn the radio off at night when I'm not expecting a call.........wifi is much easier on the battery than trying to search for a network signal........

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 09:02 PM

Very interesting. I can tell you using "other" phones wi-fi is a huge drainer with conjunction with the radio being on. He mentioned 3G, guess it would be beneficial to know if it was roaming or not too. Depends of course what you access, how frequent, etc.
    10-04-10 09:05 PM
    WiFi for me is MUCH better for battery life and of course pages load faster as well. I'd say the battery lasts at least 100% longer, and I only have 2 WiFi network profiles saved; Home and Office.

10-04-10 09:48 PM
    I have always noticed better battery life with wifi. But I tend to just use 3G. Its pretty fast so I don't have a problem.

10-04-10 10:08 PM
    My wifi blows 3G away for file transfers. Wifi rocks!
    And my battery really seams to be good ether way.

10-04-10 10:55 PM
    These are not those "other phones". These are BlackBerrys.

The OTA radio consumes more power than the Wi-Fi radio. Wi-Fi is much faster. Your Blackberry routes data accordingly too. When you are connected via Wi-Fi, your BB will automatically route all BIS services through your Wi-Fi connection. This includes your BB internet browser's internet service, BB Messenger services, email push, browser push and any apps which you have told to use BIS for its data retrieval. Also, when connected via Wi-Fi, you will be able to do all those things which use BIS at the same time as using the OTA radio(phone and txt etc). That is, on a phone call and sending BBMs or surfing the net.

Last edited by lilzeus; 10-05-10 at 12:43 AM.
    10-05-10 12:40 AM

+1. Wifi drains my battery FAR, FAR less than 3G. This isn't a Windows Mobile phone
    10-05-10 04:25 AM
    actually everyone is correct. The drain on the battery occurs when the BB thrashes around looking for a signal (both 3G & wi-fi). The artificial semi-intelligent code has a switching algorithm to switch between wifi and 3G and 3G and 2G.

It is the constant switching in marginal signal areas that drains the battery. several times per minute often.

In other words if you have great 3G and spotty wifi you will respond like half the commentors above. If you have great wifi and spotty 3G then the converse is likely true.
    10-05-10 07:29 AM
    actually everyone is correct. The drain on the battery occurs when the BB thrashes around looking for a signal (both 3G & wi-fi). The artificial semi-intelligent code has a switching algorithm to switch between wifi and 3G and 3G and 2G.

It is the constant switching in marginal signal areas that drains the battery. several times per minute often.

In other words if you have great 3G and spotty wifi you will respond like half the commentors above. If you have great wifi and spotty 3G then the converse is likely true.
    10-05-10 07:30 AM
    No it won't. Thanks for clearing that up, jaydee.
    10-05-10 07:37 AM
    Very informative thread. Thanks all
    10-05-10 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD