I am currently with ATT and I am switching to Cricket. I do not want or need to hear how bad they are. In our area we get great reception and are switching to save money because we're paying of debt and saving up for a home.

Anyway.... Cricket told us that we can only flash over phone that do not have a sim card which this would be sprint and verizion..

I still want to have a blackberry I know that both of these companies have a curve, but I am wondering is the tour from spring and verizion the same thing as the bold from ATT? it looks just like it and I might look into trying to get one of those. If not of course I will get the curve.

Do any of the BB with sprint or verizion have wifi and still have a camera on the phone?

Also when I get this new phone do I have to get new bb software? Like what I have now on my computer is the desktop manager, do i have to re download it for the new carrier or anything like that? Also i can just switch over my photos, themes and everything using the desktop manager correct?

Thanks!
    07-29-09 12:32 PM
    At this time, there are no BlackBerry models that use CDMA and Wifi.

BlackBerry includes Wifi in some models to support Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA). That gives an advantage to the carriers with a limited signal strength or when it is being used Internationaly.

Unfortunatly, most carrier view UMA as a threat to their revenue model.

I am wondering is the tour from spring and verizion the same thing as the bold from ATT? ...
    They are close, but different in a couple key areas, one being Wifi.

when I get this new phone do I have to get new bb software? Like what I have now on my computer is the desktop manager, do i have to re download it for the new carrier or anything like that? Also i can just switch over my photos, themes and everything using the desktop manager correct?
    Correct. Your BlackBerry Desktop Manager will work with all the BlackBerry models. Switching devices is one handy feature, but it does not include data saved on your Media card.

You can use Windows File Manager for that job.
    07-29-09 12:47 PM
    okay so the tour does not have wifi well that sucks i might as well just stick with the curve, cheaper and its the phone i have now!

Glad to hear I dont have to worry about switching the dm or anything.

Ok I dont have a media card so i dont have to worry about that, and i will just go for the plan with internet its only 50.00 a month

Thanks so much for the help!
    07-29-09 12:51 PM
    There are two things in favor of the Tour.

It has a much larger memory capacity then the Curve, that will allow many more and much larger third party applications to be installed.

Second, BlackBerry is working on the next generation of software, it will be available for the Tour, but there is no commitment to support the Curve.

If your pictures are saved in device memory, they will not be transferred by the switch device wizard. If your Desktop Manager install has the optional Media Manger, that will allow access to your pictures.

If there are only a few you want to save, as simple work around is to attach them to an email and later forward them to your new device.

Themes are always designed for a specific model. Odds are good you can not transfer between device models, but there will likley be a comparable theme for each model.
    07-29-09 01:12 PM

If your pictures are saved in device memory, they will not be transferred by the switch device wizard.
    I don't know about the device switch wizard, but on a backup and full restore
    pictures on the device memory are transferred.
    07-29-09 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD