With the rumor about the "blueberry" makes me wounder... WHY black... Why blackberry? Anyone know why rim called it a "black"berry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 03:03 PM
    The story goes, they were thinking Raspberry because the key board looks like the seeds on a Raspberry. The name didn't work, but BlackBerry did and stuck.

The Chinese made Blueberry is a poor copy and likely based on WinMo or some pripriatory Asian OS. Email? Yea... right.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-14-09 at 03:08 PM.
    01-14-09 03:05 PM
    The story goes, they were thinking Raspberry because the key board looks like the seeds on a Raspberry. The name didn't work, but BlackBerry did and stuck.
    I had not heard the raspberry part, BUT that's basically the same story I heard that it was the keyboard's look that generated the name. A lot of marketing sessions probably went in to it also and the raspberry coming up or proceeding blackberry DOES make sense.

EDIT: I googled up the wiki here's the relevent info....

Name origin
    RIM settled on the name "BlackBerry" only after weeks of work by Lexicon Branding Inc., the Sausalito, California-based firm that named Intel Corp.’s Pentium microprocessor and Apple’s PowerBook. One of the naming experts at Lexicon thought the miniature buttons on RIM’s product looked "like the tiny seeds in a strawberry," Lexicon founder David Placek says. "A linguist at the firm thought straw was too slow sounding. Someone else suggested blackberry. RIM went for it."[11] Previously the device was called LeapFrog, alluding to the technology leaping over the current competition, and its placeholder name during brainstorm was the PocketLink.

BTW I got my nephew a Leapfrog (Leapster 2) for Christmas this year, and that name is MUCH better for a kid's learning toy, and I'm glad way back when they went with the Blackberry name.
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-14-09 at 03:12 PM.
    01-14-09 03:09 PM
    The Chinese made Blueberry is a poor copy and likely based on WinMo or some pripriatory Asian OS. Email? Yea... right.
    I think it will probably be Google OS seeing as it's Free and WinMo is not.
    01-14-09 03:11 PM
    Ahh... Strawberry seeds. Thanks for the correction, pulled that one of the top of my head.

Besides, Raspberries don't have seeds outside the berry.
    01-14-09 03:16 PM
    Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ok
    01-14-09 03:56 PM
    I'd always wondered about where RIM got "Blackberry" from. The wiki explanation makes enough sense to me I guess lol
    01-14-09 05:02 PM
    wow...
    i didnt know that, thats not what i was thinking but it works\
    01-14-09 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD