Something came to my mind about the competition going on. In almost all the articles I have read, blackberry 10 and windows phone compete for the 3rd place. But then I thought if MS and BB work together both could be the champ against the 2 hype stars.

If you will grab 4 phones; lumia, BlackBerry Z10, iPhone 5, and SGS3 you will see the obvious that Windows Phone and BlackBerry are the latest innovations. I imagine BlackBerry with Skype tightly integrated with its OS and BBM on a Windows Phone. Some of the great features of each of them to be integrated to the other.

I don't know, I may sound stupid, it's just that there may be really good things from windows phone that are good to have on BB10 and I suppose windows phone users would want some of the BlackBerry goodies.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:54 AM
    Something came to my mind about the competition going on. In almost all the articles I have read, blackberry 10 and windows phone compete for the 3rd place. But then I thought if MS and BB work together both could be the champ against the 2 hype stars.

If you will grab 4 phones; lumia, BlackBerry Z10, iPhone 5, and SGS3 you will see the obvious that Windows Phone and BlackBerry are the latest innovations. I imagine BlackBerry with Skype tightly integrated with its OS and BBM on a Windows Phone. Some of the great features of each of them to be integrated to the other.

I don't know, I may sound stupid, it's just that there may be really good things from windows phone that are good to have on BB10 and I suppose windows phone users would want some of the BlackBerry goodies.

Posted via CB10
    call it innovation or whatever you want. just because the OS is different/new doesn't mean its better. then WebSo or whatever comes out next should destroy BB, iOS, Android etc...
    03-25-13 12:03 PM
    In this case nb10 is, so win phone 8, they are both ahead of the curve, but the other two are ubiquitous.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 12:27 PM
    call it innovation or whatever you want. just because the OS is different/new doesn't mean its better. then WebSo or whatever comes out next should destroy BB, iOS, Android etc...
    You really need to spend some time with BB10 if you don't think it's better than the other two.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 12:31 PM
    You really need to spend some time with BB10 if you don't think it's better than the other two.

Posted via CB10
    that wasnt my point. i was just pointing out just because its new/innovative doesn't mean people will flock to it. if thats the sole reason then webso would have won the mobile war 2 years ago.

btw, just because you love it doesn't mean i will. if it doesn't have the app i want then i wont use it. app makes the phone more useful. plain and simple.
    03-25-13 01:11 PM
    I agree that WP8 and BB10 are far better experiences than iOS and Android. Both are just a treat to use while Android and iOS seem old and boring. It's a real shame that many won't give them a look because of being locked into an app ecosystem.
    03-25-13 01:39 PM
    everyone seems to forget that the app and play stores didn't have that many apps when apple and android entered the market.. I'm a huge android fan but the bottom line is the number of blackberry and windows phone apps will catch up with ios and android. And I don't know about everyone else but bb10 and wp8 look like they've taken a step away from the boring OS styles that ios and android offer..
    04-10-13 01:17 AM
    everyone seems to forget that the app and play stores didn't have that many apps when apple and android entered the market.. I'm a huge android fan but the bottom line is the number of blackberry and windows phone apps will catch up with ios and android. And I don't know about everyone else but bb10 and wp8 look like they've taken a step away from the boring OS styles that ios and android offer..
    I don't think it is so much forgetting as it is thinking Joe blow consumer will not take it into consideration when considering bb10 or Windows Phone and finding out their most loved apps are not present. Consumers are merciless.

Posted via CB10
    allengeorge likes this.
    04-10-13 01:38 AM
    that wasnt my point. i was just pointing out just because its new/innovative doesn't mean people will flock to it. if thats the sole reason then webso would have won the mobile war 2 years ago.

btw, just because you love it doesn't mean i will. if it doesn't have the app i want then i wont use it. app makes the phone more useful. plain and simple.
    That's the marketing genius of these limited OS platforms that breed the thought that apps make a phone more useful. With a superior browser, you wouldn't need apps. Most tasks that you perform with apps, i.e. check bank account, sport scores, facebook, twitter, stocks, etc., can be and should be done within a browser. Apps are nothing more then watered down web pages that raise cost for said companies that "have" to support this nonsense that is apps.
    04-10-13 09:21 AM
    I would agree with the OP. Try to get developers to bring a hot social app or game to BB and WP first and see how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot. Both companies would do themselves a huge favor teaming up in this way. Would be nice for these tech companies to start working together more rather than be at odds with one another. I was pretty pissed when I launched the metro mail app on my Windows 8 box to get a message stating that my calendar would no longer sync with my google e-mail because Google no longer supports Exchange Active Sync..... Really Google? They throw sand in the eyes of each other at the expense of their users....truly sad.
    kbz1960 and travaz like this.
    04-10-13 10:44 AM
    That's the marketing genius of these limited OS platforms that breed the thought that apps make a phone more useful. With a superior browser, you wouldn't need apps. Most tasks that you perform with apps, i.e. check bank account, sport scores, facebook, twitter, stocks, etc., can be and should be done within a browser. Apps are nothing more then watered down web pages that raise cost for said companies that "have" to support this nonsense that is apps.
    That's untrue. While a mobile webpage is better than nothing, it doesn't measure up to a native app that conforms to a platform's UI/UX guidelines and integrates with the features it provides (with BB10 think hub notifications, share menu, standard password dialogs, native context menu, flow, ...)

If you think about it, extensibility is what makes a platform (and apps are one form of extensibility). As a platform designer the best you can hope for is to create a platform that solves a problem and provide enough hooks that people can build on top of it. That way you can leverage the creativity and talent of thousands of others to make your platform more useful.
    04-10-13 11:12 AM
    Maybe for you ... everyone that I know that owns a Iphone or android has some Apps that they find useful that offer a product, service or other feature that is not available on the Web. You mention bank ... my bank App (BB7) tells me when I have used my debit or credit card. Helped me stop a fraud. The web site does not offer that service. I can buy a device that fits on my golf club and I can see my swing ( as bad as it is) as if my phone was a launch monitor. The list is almost endless.
    04-10-13 11:26 AM

This is far from the truth. The browser is great for the casual web browsing, but I'll take apps over the browser any day. Apps provide te ability to get push notifications, upload pictures to instagram, deposit checks, scan documents, etc etc. You can't do perform any of those actions using the browser.
    04-10-13 11:36 AM
    I would agree with the OP. Try to get developers to bring a hot social app or game to BB and WP first and see how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot. Both companies would do themselves a huge favor teaming up in this way. Would be nice for these tech companies to start working together more rather than be at odds with one another. I was pretty pissed when I launched the metro mail app on my Windows 8 box to get a message stating that my calendar would no longer sync with my google e-mail because Google no longer supports Exchange Active Sync..... Really Google? They throw sand in the eyes of each other at the expense of their users....truly sad.
    I think that we have just seen the start of one OS doing everything it can to keep another less popular. With the big boys buying up all the startup such as instagram etc, it is going to get harder and harder for apps to be cross platform. You can't live without xyz app than go to Android because it will never be available to BB or WP. Its going to get very cutthroat and Ugly in my opinion. A third party deveoper has an incentive to have as many sales as possible, an OS owner has incentive to drive people to thier platform I see several of the big apps being bought up by Google or Apple. BB may not have the cash to throw a few Billion around. Bottom line, it sux for the user. Its all about the money now folks, what you can make and more important what you can spend.
    04-10-13 12:22 PM