The ad itself isn't trying to sell the device. It's trying to sell this website (which is actually really cool):
    BlackBerry Z10 Experience

The site sells the device. It's actually really clever and the site itself is awesome! The ad wants people to get intrigued by the device so that their search for info leads them to the above site.
    02-03-13 11:56 PM
    The ad itself isn't trying to sell the device. It's trying to sell this website (which is actually really cool):
    BlackBerry Z10 Experience

The site sells the device. It's actually really clever and the site itself is awesome! The ad wants people to get intrigued by the device so that their search for info leads them to the above site.
    that just makes it worse, because the website address is so small and doesnt really stand out.
    02-03-13 11:58 PM
    The Z10 website is pretty good, I was happy with that.
    For some reason the ad is missing off of the NFL.com website, what the heck?
    02-04-13 12:00 AM
    I dont understand why everyone is whining??? The ad was great. Not the greatest ad of all time but it does make you think for 25 seconds and smile at the end. There are nice special effects, cool music, and it hits straight at BB bashers who keep saying: "Blackberry cant do this, blackberry cant do that...." I dont understand what do u want blackberry to show off??? they showed glimpses of the hub and the UI, It's not a demo of the Z10. SHowing off the different features in 30 seconds would have been lame. The add is perfect, It doesnt try to be overly funny, nor is it too conceptual. It's simple, nice looking and conveys the message: "blackberry is back and it can do plenty of stuff... stay tuned for more in the next few weeks"
    02-04-13 12:14 AM
    This was one ad in an upcoming ad campaign. Relax. The ad was more of an entertainment piece, a kind of lighthearted non-commercial. People may remember it because it was different. Trying to show a lot of features in 30 seconds would probably give people a reason to go to the washroom. A guy on fire makes you wait to see what else is going to happen. I don't think BB is expecting to change world opinion in a week and we shouldn't either.
    BBMak likes this.
    02-04-13 12:22 AM
    It felt like I didn't get the point until the end. By the end, I missed the brand but finally got the point.
    Ah. And maybe that was the goal of this first advert? To get the point across first and foremost that the z10 is different...
    02-04-13 12:43 AM
    Since Thorsten hired Alicia Keys as the Global Creative Director for the company she should have been featured in the BlackBerry 10 Super Bowl advertisement. She is a mother. She is a singer-songwriter. She is an actress. She lives a busy life both professionally and privately. The advertisement opens with Alicia waking up to an alarm triggered by the BlackBerry Z10. She gets out of bed and then wakes up her children before heading to the kitchen to prepare their breakfast. She drives her children to school. Next she is recording a song for an upcoming album before heading to a meeting. Then she picks up her children and they go home where she collapses into a chair and says to her husband (I assume she is married), "I am exhausted. Please make supper tonight." Her BlackBerry Z10 voice assistant replies, "I cannot make supper but I can suggest a nice family restaurant." Alicia laughs.

Obviously the ad needs some use of the BlackBerry Z10 throughout to showcase its features, particularly the communications capabilities and the time-shift camera, for example.
    02-04-13 07:45 AM
    it wasnt funny. and therefore wasnt memorable.
    i understand what they were trying to achieve, but ut just didnt pay off.
    i think they need to get a good comedian in next time to help set the standard of humour higher.
    i think they could have defined the z10 a lot more quite easily too. as it is, it didnt do enough to pip interest.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-04-13 08:13 AM
    They needed Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen
    02-04-13 08:24 AM
    This gives me no pleasure at all - but Kellogg@NorthWestern University, who use fairly robust measures to rate spots ranked the ad 'the worst in the SuperBowl'

They cited 'weak branding and the lack of a compelling benefit' as the reason that it scored a D and finished below Lincoln and GoDaddy

Here's hoping that the Keep Moving launch campaign is as cool as it looks and sounds online and in interviews

Pulling for BB
    02-04-13 08:30 AM
    This gives me no pleasure at all - but Kellogg@NorthWestern University, who use fairly robust measures to rate spots ranked the ad 'the worst in the SuperBowl'

They cited 'weak branding and the lack of a compelling benefit' as the reason that it scored a D and finished below Lincoln and GoDaddy

Here's hoping that the Keep Moving launch campaign is as cool as it looks and sounds online and in interviews

Pulling for BB
    sounds about right.
    it gave absolutely no incentive to get someone to check the website at the end.
    fact is, you can take out the z10, and replace it with any other phone to get the same effect. that is a bad thing

02-04-13 08:36 AM
    sounds about right.
    it gave absolutely no incentive to get someone to check the website at the end.
    fact is, you can take out the z10, and replace it with any other phone to get the same effect. that is a bad thing

I didn't even realize there there was a Web Address in the commercial! I just looked at it this morning using the link posted above. I clicked "movies" as an interest, scrolled down and the Movie was upside down (or something!)? Anyone else seeing that?
    02-04-13 08:39 AM
    Well, we as BB lover's and users this commerical wouldn't do much. For non BB or former BB users this commerical may have peaked their interest and let them know a new device is on the way. Of course, this morning in the office was convo about the super bowl and the commercials. The only 2 commercial's brought up were Audi and Blackberry. Concensus was Audi was great. Blackberry was bad timing in the game due to the power outage but they liked the commercial.
    02-04-13 08:46 AM
    I am an advertising and marketing guy by trade and passion, so I tend to look at these things with a more critical eye than others. For what it�s worth, I thought this was one of the worst ads at the Super Bowl.

Looking at the first two teasers, I thought they were onto something cool with the colors and special effects. The third teaser threw me off, but I was still excited none the less. When the ad aired and I was watching it, I kept thinking, �ok�ok�okkkkk�.ok������wait, what?� I legitimately didn�t understand. The imagery is interesting and stimulating, but I fail to see how it relates to the Z10 at all. The tagline, �in 30 seconds, it�s quicker to show you what it can�t do� also didn�t make any sense to me.

It can�t put out a fire? Because judging by the video, it just did.

It can�t make you have elephant legs? Because it just did.

It can�t teleport you underground with a rainbow cloud of smoke? Because it just did.

It can�t turn a jack-knifed tractor trailer into a cloud of rubber duckies? Because��..it just did.

If the whole premise of the commercial was to come up with a few outrageous things the phone can�t do, in an effort to insinuate that it can do almost anything else, then why did they shoot the commercial showing a guy with a Z10 doing all of those things? The logic is flawed � and not in an obviously funny way, either.

Considering the position that BlackBerry is in right now, this commercial was absolutely the wrong direction. I know that the Super Bowl is advertising�s most grand event, and very often showcases a brand�s best thinking and creativity, but the teaser Super Bowl ad that showed up on CB late last week would have been much more compelling. At this point, people in America need to be told that this is a brand new operating system, a brand new BlackBerry and they need to start to show off some of the features.

Instead of the hub or timeshift camera (this phone�s absolute best pitch angle for advertising), we get clouds of smoke, elephant legs and rubber duckies. Really poorly executed.

Not only does the commercial not make sense (IMO), but BlackBerry completely missed the boat in terms of branding. For a struggling brand launching a new product, this was a huge opportunity for BB and they completely blew it.
    02-04-13 08:58 AM
    Anyone know why it was pulled from nfl.com?
    02-04-13 09:13 AM
    Apparently it is back up on NFL.com from another poster stating so on the BlackBerry SuperBowl Ad rated #1.
    02-04-13 10:10 AM
    I am an advertising and marketing guy by trade and passion, so I tend to look at these things with a more critical eye than others. For what it�s worth, I thought this was one of the worst ads at the Super Bowl.

Looking at the first two teasers, I thought they were onto something cool with the colors and special effects. The third teaser threw me off, but I was still excited none the less. When the ad aired and I was watching it, I kept thinking, �ok�ok�okkkkk�.ok������wait, what?� I legitimately didn�t understand. The imagery is interesting and stimulating, but I fail to see how it relates to the Z10 at all. The tagline, �in 30 seconds, it�s quicker to show you what it can�t do� also didn�t make any sense to me.

It can�t teleport you underground with a rainbow cloud of smoke? Because it just did.

It can�t turn a jack-knifed tractor trailer into a cloud of rubber duckies? Because��..it just did.

If the whole premise of the commercial was to come up with a few outrageous things the phone can�t do, in an effort to insinuate that it can do almost anything else, then why did they shoot the commercial showing a guy with a Z10 doing all of those things? The logic is flawed � and not in an obviously funny way, either.

Considering the position that BlackBerry is in right now, this commercial was absolutely the wrong direction. I know that the Super Bowl is advertising�s most grand event, and very often showcases a brand�s best thinking and creativity, but the teaser Super Bowl ad that showed up on CB late last week would have been much more compelling. At this point, people in America need to be told that this is a brand new operating system, a brand new BlackBerry and they need to start to show off some of the features.

Instead of the hub or timeshift camera (this phone�s absolute best pitch angle for advertising), we get clouds of smoke, elephant legs and rubber duckies. Really poorly executed.

Not only does the commercial not make sense (IMO), but BlackBerry completely missed the boat in terms of branding. For a struggling brand launching a new product, this was a huge opportunity for BB and they completely blew it.
    Check the CB Homepage to see and hear behind scenes of WHY it was made this way and to what CMO Frank Bouben has to say.
    02-04-13 10:11 AM

You said it yourself, they showed the phone doing things it cant do. They said we are going to show you things the phone cant do, i.e. here is the phone doing something crazy, it cant really do that though. That was the point, so that's why they showed it. You are in advertising and that confuses you?
    Your ad idea would be to show the hub and camera at the Superbowl? Wow you must be at the top of your field haha. Those commercials are coming, the SB wasnt the place. Surely you know this.
    02-04-13 10:14 AM
    the thing is the ad could be used for any generic phone. it generated no buzz or incentive to look up the z10.
    i understand what they aimed to do. but they failed big time.
    when i get in i'm gonna post up how i think the ad should have been and why it will give people a reason to look into the z10.

02-04-13 10:22 AM
    the thing is the ad could be used for any generic phone. it generated no buzz or incentive to look up the z10.
    i understand what they aimed to do. but they failed big time.
    when i get in i'm gonna post up how i think the ad should have been and why it will give people a reason to look into the z10.

Yeah because all the "here is what they should have done.." posts have been great.

The ad was amazing, if for no other reason than the VW Baywindow bus in the bg (see my avatar).

Blackberry 10 Super Bowl XLVII ad !!-bus.jpg
    02-04-13 10:25 AM
    is was not the right place??????? They could have had some stunt guy doing a CRAZY trick and the pic looks stupid because the camera guy cant get the shot, So then this guy comes in with a z10 snaps the pic does a lil rewind and makes a GREAT face to fix the picture, That would be funny and showing the feature... THERE ARE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOT SEEN THAT "COOL" FEATURE ON THE PHONE, IT WAS THE PERFECT PLACE TO SHOW IT OFF, what are u talking about not the right place????? Cool and Sexy sells and that commercial SUCKED. I have been saying for YEARS the marketing team needs to go... MPLexus301 is RIGHT on this one
    02-04-13 03:03 PM
    I liked it.
    02-04-13 04:41 PM
    super bowl was meh.But they hired teh guys from teh guisness ad which was liek wtf to me.The website is great even that with 30 sec ads on tv would be immense.All the bb10 online ads have been great.
    02-04-13 04:55 PM
    Yeah because all the "here is what they should have done.." posts have been great.

The ad was amazing, if for no other reason than the VW Baywindow bus in the bg (see my avatar).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bus.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	133907
    haha, If BlackBerry could do ONE THING to keep me waiting for that q10...it was to put a VW BUS in the superbowl commercial!! WELL PLAYED BlackBerry, WELL PLAYED!! *grins*
    cpsquires likes this.
    02-05-13 08:40 AM
    Ignored it until I heard "The new BlackBerry Z10". When I looked up, the commercial was already over.
    02-05-13 08:47 AM
155 ... 4567