Hi Crackberry,

i have an interesting read for you all. all ideas are just opinions and are not proven facts...yet.

Today came 2 pieces of news that came out that had me wondering why they were released.

the first news
    BlackBerry strengthens board with wireless industy veterans, Richard Lynch, a former long-serving executive at US wireless carrier Verizon Communications and Bert Nordberg, a former CEO of Sony Ericsson.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91611E20130207

cool, i thought. i wonder what they would bring to the table.

the second news came out and had a much more muted affected
    BlackBerry to stop selling handsets in Japan, citing market share in Japan has shrunk to 0.3 percent from 5 percent, and that they cannot justify the cost of modifying its operating system to accommodate the Japanese language.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91610M20130207

that completely puzzled me as to why they would announce that. Japan is a huge market for smartphones and surely they might be able to claw some of that back. The language part was a bit off too, b/c they tout the BlackBerry z10 as one of the best phones when it comes to language inputs.

why these 2 announcements why now? you may have already figured it out.

my opinion, but i believe BlackBerry picked up the ex-CEO of Sony Ericksson, Bert Nordberg in order to bridge a relationship between BlackBerry and Sony. Some found it sad that Blackberry won't be selling in Japan, but with this connection we might see this relationship extend to having BB10 OS on Sony phones for the Japanese and Global Market.

The partnership, via a licensing deal, makes perfect sense. Sony has it's struggles too. Sony makes good phones, but they're not popular when everyone else is getting a samsung or an LG or any of the chinese makers.

this would be a synergistic deal that would benefit both parties.

update 02/11/2013
    dated 01/28/2013
    1. RIM names multiple BlackBerry 10 music, video partners - RIM has gathered a number of big-name music and video partners for its BlackBerry 10 storefront, ranging from Walt Disney Studios and Sony Pictures to Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group.

may 8th 2012
    2. RIM continues the executive shuffle with new COO and CMO
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/08/r...w-coo-and-cmo/
    "Changes are afoot at Research in Motion. The Canadian smartphone maker today announced the addition of two new names to top executive slots. Former Sony Mobile Communications executive VP Kristian Tear will be taking on the role of the company's chief operating officer. RIM's new chief marketing officer Frank Boulben, meanwhile, comes over from Lightsquared, after having worked for the likes of Vodafone, Vivendi and Orange. The news comes on the heels of word that new CEO Thorsten Heins has been "clearing house" at the ailing phone company."

Aug 2nd 2012
    3. Licensing is an option
    www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/blackberr...
    Heins is keenly aware that he must get cheaper devices into the mainstream. “We don’t have the economy of scale to compete against the guys who crank out 60 handsets a year. We have to differentiate and have a focused platform. To deliver BB10 we may need to look at licensing it to someone who can do this at a way better cost proposition than I can do it. There’s different options we could do that we’re currently investigating.”
    That raises the prospect of a BlackBerry phone that is made by, say, Samsung or Sony. “You could think about us building a reference system, and then basically licensing that reference design, have others build the hardware around it – either it’s a BlackBerry or it’s something else being built on the BlackBerry platform. We’re investigating this and it’s way too early to get into any details. We have to also model this from a finance perspective – that’s why we’re working with the financial advisers to see if we do this where would it take the company. Either we do it ourselves or we do it with a partner. But we will not abandon the subscriber base.”

4. Alicia Keys record label is with RCA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicia_Keys); and RCA is the flagship recording label of Sony Music Entertainment. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Records) Thanks FSeverino.

Update 02/13/2013
    BlackBerry is considering licensing its smartphone software to other phone manufacturers in an attempt to get low-cost devices running its new BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system.
    "We are looking into licensing [for lower-cost devices]," BlackBerry chief executive Thorsten Heins told Fairfax Media on Thursday during an international media briefing at the company's headquarters in Waterloo, Canada.
    http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/busi...214-2ee9q.html
    thanks to aaaaaargh for the tip
    though i am hopeful we might see an BB10-powered Xperia TL, Sony does currently offer some 'low-cost' devices
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921644872499

special thanks goes out to "SHALLITELLUYOURCRAZY", Yasch22 and many countless other for their help and research.
    Last edited by sonbuster; 02-13-13 at 08:23 PM.
    02-07-13 07:06 PM
    Interesting theory!
    sonbuster likes this.
    02-07-13 07:16 PM
    This has been a relationship i hope happens because i want to see a version of OS10 beyond the mobile communication world.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    sonbuster likes this.
    02-07-13 07:18 PM
    A case of two former titans synergizing.

On paper, Sony cooperating with BlackBerry will be salivating. However, Sony had a reputation of screwing things up, like doing 1 mile short of last stop.

If Sony does synergize with BlackBerry, I'll be very happy, on paper. Cybershot + Walkman, combined with BB10 OS? And with possible / potential cross-linking to Playstation, and many other more. Hah!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-07-13 07:23 PM
    A case of two former titans synergizing.

On paper, Sony cooperating with BlackBerry will be salivating. However, Sony had a reputation of screwing things up, like doing 1 mile short of last stop.

If Sony does synergize with BlackBerry, I'll be very happy, on paper. Cybershot + Walkman, combined with BB10 OS? And with possible / potential cross-linking to Playstation, and many other more. Hah!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Sony has screwed up for many years, but that is changing right now. The Xperia Z and ZL is a phone that many people are looking forward to.
    sonbuster likes this.
    02-07-13 07:25 PM
    Sony has great hardware deisgn! I love the deisgn of the Xperia line and am going to be ordering a Vaio laptop in a few days. Still, I like the look of the Z10 and the Q10 looks absolutely gorgeous! If BlackBerry does ever decide to exit the hardware market (and looking at Z10 sales so far, we may not see that day, hopefully), Sony would be a great hardware manufacturer to license to!
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 02-07-13 at 08:23 PM.
    sonbuster and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-07-13 07:29 PM
    I gave the news on a lack / delay of a Japanese version some thought as well and came up with the following:

1) The character set Kana/Kanji is difficult to work with, maybe it doesn't lend itself to the swipe typing?
    2) The new Sony phones are doing very well, maybe Blackberry believe that the Japanese will go for a smartphone from a Japanese company before getting one from a Canadian company.
    3) And the suggestion that a Japanese phone company would be interested in licensing QNX to get out of the Android race would be a consideration.
    02-07-13 07:32 PM
    I gave the news on a lack / delay of a Japanese version some thought as well and came up with the following:

1) The character set Kana/Kanji is difficult to work with, maybe it doesn't lend itself to the swipe typing?
    2) The new Sony phones are doing very well, maybe Blackberry believe that the Japanese will go for a smartphone from a Japanese company before getting one from a Canadian company.
    3) And the suggestion that a Japanese phone company would be interested in licensing QNX to get out of the Android race would be a consideration.
    and if Sony did come out with a Xperia phone with BB10 OS then they could call it the X10
    02-07-13 07:35 PM
    This would definitely be interesting to see how it plays out. Nice finds and maybe crackberry will keep an eye on it.
    02-08-13 01:58 AM
    Conspiracy theory!
    kirkins likes this.
    02-08-13 02:14 AM
    Thank you! I believe you're right!
    I never put the two together but the move out of Japan had me thinking!
    The question to be asked is why not?
    02-08-13 04:20 AM
    And thorsten heins worked at Siemens. Doesn't mean they will make a Siemens BB10 phone. Interesting perspective though.
    02-08-13 04:27 AM
    Imagine the possibilities of BB10 on all Sony devices. I got excited just thinking about it.
    02-08-13 04:38 AM
    If BlackBerry partners with anyone in the mobile industry I hope it's Sony. There are so many synergies. Sony isn't setting the world ablaze with Android, but their hardware and especially their camera sensors are top notch. Sony is HUGE in automotive. They are a tier one OEM automotive infotainment equipment producer. Also, as other have mentioned, cameras, walkmans, and e-readers can also benefit from a little BB 10. It's too late to get BB 10 on the next Playstation as it's goign to be formally announced 02/20/2013. But maybe the next Portable. It would be an awesome partnership if it ever did happen.
    jakie55 and Dapper37 like this.
    02-08-13 06:48 AM
    ^ I like the possibilities!
    02-08-13 07:23 AM
    update!
    another fellow peer noted another connection dated 01/28/2013

RIM names multiple BlackBerry 10 music, video partners - RIM has gathered a number of big-name music and video partners for its BlackBerry 10 storefront, ranging from Walt Disney Studios and Sony Pictures to Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group.
    02-11-13 09:50 PM
    Alicia Keys is also signed to RCA, which is songs flagship label...

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    sonbuster likes this.
    02-11-13 10:20 PM
    alicia keys is also signed to rca, which is songs flagship label...

Posted using crackberry app on bb10
    woah! Amazing find!
    02-11-13 10:33 PM
    woah! Amazing find!
    I actually like her music lol, not crazy about it... but she is better than all the stupid crap that is out now.
    02-11-13 10:33 PM
    Sony's efforts in mobile haven't gone well, and it's truly a shame. Sony just generally seems to have been fumbling in the dark for a while now.

A Sony/BB partnership could actually be extremely interesting.
    sonbuster likes this.
    02-11-13 10:45 PM
    Sony's efforts in mobile haven't gone well, and it's truly a shame. Sony just generally seems to have been fumbling in the dark for a while now.

A Sony/BB partnership could actually be extremely interesting.
    I an a huge fan of the Sony readers. I think they are the best out there, I actually like my ereaders to have buttons and the Sony pest1 looks amazing... but they have had some pretty weird designs and choices in other lines recently

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 12:09 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    a Blackberry Sony Partnership makes a lot of sense ... here in Japan its Iphones and Samsung mostly ....
    02-12-13 12:17 AM
    The thought of BB OS + Sony hardware partnership is so good that it is almost painful! The doors it would open for BB+ QNX, both regionally and in terms of consumer products, are potentially staggering. My only fear would be that Sony would eventually absorb BB and the company would cease to exist.
    02-12-13 02:37 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    some strategic partnerships are truly win-win .... and Blackberry should always look to explore those situations .....
    02-12-13 04:13 AM
    Well, you've certainly put some work in on this one!
    I'm not sure if I'm buyin ' what you're selling, but I sure can smell what you're cookin'...
    Be interesting to see what happens -
    'cause if there's one thing I'm sure of-
    We will see what happens.

#KeepMoving
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-12-13 04:21 AM
32 12