A smartphone is a mobile computer with software (by the way that's apps). The real future of mobile computing is cross platform integration. Your data, files and so forth available when you need it with the program's you need on a phone a tablet or computer. BB10 doesn't seem to have much to compete there. Hopefully the company BB can make it with Android.
    Blackberry got lost chasing Apple and Google with their exclusive consumer-oriented ecosystems instead of focusing on their traditional strengths -- near seamless integration with corporate servers. They should have partnered with Microsoft, Cisco, etc back in 2007 to build the best possible integration for Microsoft Office, Lync, WebEx, GoToMeeting, and all VPN systems with > 3% corporate market share.

Instead, they went from being a technological leader in corporate communications to a weak and slow follower in consumer electronics.

Of course, to do that, management and shareholders would have had to accept smaller market share as smartphones exploded, but they could have done a much better job defending their enterprise empire, as Microsoft has done and remained profitble. Sometimes playing a strong defense really is the best strategy. But growth companies seldom recognize such situations because of the pressure ton sustain impossible growth.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz, TgeekB and Gallofa like this.
    01-26-16 04:49 AM
    Blackberry got lost chasing Apple and Google with their exclusive consumer-oriented ecosystems instead of focusing on their traditional strengths -- near seamless integration with corporate servers. They should have partnered with Microsoft, Cisco, etc back in 2007 to build the best possible integration for Microsoft Office, Lync, WebEx, GoToMeeting, and all VPN systems with > 3% corporate market share.

Instead, they went from being a technological leader in corporate communications to a weak and slow follower in consumer electronics.

Of course, to do that, management and shareholders would have had to accept smaller market share as smartphones exploded, but they could have done a much better job defending their enterprise empire, as Microsoft has done and remained profitble. Sometimes playing a strong defense really is the best strategy. But growth companies seldom recognize such situations because of the pressure ton sustain impossible growth.

Posted via CB10
    There is a lot of truth to this but don't forget how popular Blackberry was with consumers pre-iPhone. People wanted to be able to do more with their phones and once the could they went to those new phones. BYOD helped this change a lot as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 04:46 PM
    If BlackBerry would have come out with an all touch , I would have bought it over my Samsung.

Edit: an all touch Android.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-26-16 at 09:21 PM.
    01-26-16 04:51 PM
    I doubt it would have helped much, but it would have been interesting to see.
    If that did not matter, apple and samsung would not waste their money on advertizing...
    01-26-16 07:18 PM
    If that did not matter, apple and samsung would not waste their money on advertizing...
    They have something people want.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-26-16 07:22 PM
    Right. You have to have a competitive product to advertise.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 09:34 PM
    Yes, but obviously they need to remind people that they want it otherwise they would not spend billions on advertizing. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. You can't have it both ways.
    You should not forget that these are products that people did not know they needed 15 years ago and they lived happily without them.
    They are neither food, nor water. By the way, the price of food has gone up a lot more in the past 10 years than that of an iphone, in case you did not notice...
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    01-26-16 11:34 PM
    IMO, BB10 OS is by far and away the most fluid OS on the market...it's superb in this area. However, it's also clear the prospects of support going forward is quite unlikely. I'll maintain my Z30 for as long as I can, but my shift to Android is forthcoming and it won't be Priv...BlackBerry has hung me out to dry for the last time.

Sent via mobile device
    01-27-16 03:53 AM
    Yes, but obviously they need to remind people that they want it otherwise they would not spend billions on advertizing. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. You can't have it both ways.
    You should not forget that these are products that people did not know they needed 15 years ago and they lived happily without them.
    They are neither food, nor water. By the way, the price of food has gone up a lot more in the past 10 years than that of an iphone, in case you did not notice...
    I agree. Marketing is key.
    01-27-16 05:47 AM
    No doubt the BB OS is awesome..even they should try to give it to other manufacturers which can help the market share & apps to grow for the platform

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 04:26 AM
    No doubt the BB OS is awesome..even they should try to give it to other manufacturers which can help the market share & apps to grow for the platform
    No other manufacturer wants it.
    TgeekB and MikeX74 like this.
    01-28-16 06:35 AM
    Thanks Guys for showing this. I'm still on the fence on moving toward the Priv or not, but this has really been a beneficial thread.

Latest Chrome, on latest Priv OS (5.1.1).
    Opera did the same thing.
    I'll do you one better. Followed your instructions, even swiped close my browser, and reopened so you can see it reload in the same spot I closed at.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-28-16 07:16 AM
    Advertising can help stimulate demand and drive purchases, but only for things people want. It cannot CREATE demand where none exists.

In general terms, "You can't put lipstick on a pig."

I love BB10, but it simply never had a chance. Blackberry was sing upstream without enough carrier or developer support. Spending more money would certainly have improved results somewhat, but not enough to make a difference.

IPhone in particular had a very strong launch due to Apple's fan base, and they even limited advertising at launch due to limited supply.

If BB10 had had some organic demand at launch, you can bet BlackBerry would have been happy to follow it up with marketing $.

However, I'm are there market research told them they would be pouring money down a drain.

Advertising is an incremental tactical sales tool. It's not a product strategy.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-28-16 02:00 PM
    Advertising can help stimulate demand and drive purchases, but only for things people want. It cannot CREATE demand where none exists.

In general terms, "You can't put lipstick on a pig."

I love BB10, but it simply never had a chance. Blackberry was sing upstream without enough carrier or developer support. Spending more money would certainly have improved results somewhat, but not enough to make a difference.

IPhone in particular had a very strong launch due to Apple's fan base, and they even limited advertising at launch due to limited supply.

If BB10 had had some organic demand at launch, you can bet BlackBerry would have been happy to follow it up with marketing $.

However, I'm are there market research told them they would be pouring money down a drain.

Advertising is an incremental tactical sales tool. It's not a product strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Really wonder how successful the iWatch was compared to the amount of marketing they invested into it.

Anyway I have to wonder what is BlackBerry's tactic when it comes to the PRIV? The went to a lot of work, and were able to get a lot of Carrier support... but between the decision to price it so high and not to really market it. That seems to have all be wasted.
    01-28-16 02:26 PM
    Really wonder how successful the iWatch was compared to the amount of marketing they invested into it.

Anyway I have to wonder what is BlackBerry's tactic when it comes to the PRIV? The went to a lot of work, and were able to get a lot of Carrier support... but between the decision to price it so high and not to really market it. That seems to have all be wasted.
    It's a good question. My suspicion is that they want to see if their Android implementation can be fully certified by their most important customers who have not yet certified an Android handset. If it is, they can have high hopes of wide adoption by those customers, now that they have a mainstream platform.

I think they want just enough public exposure so that employees won't complain if they are issued a Blackberry Android for work.

Of course, they would love to get lucky with widespread public demand, but it's just not likely to happen with their first Android phone, not yet running Marshmallow, with the slider form factor.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 05:12 PM
    It's a good question. My suspicion is that they want to see if their Android implementation can be fully certified by their most important customers who have not yet certified an Android handset. If it is, they can have high hopes of wide adoption by those customers, now that they have a mainstream platform.

I think they want just enough public exposure so that employees won't complain if they are issued a Blackberry Android for work.

Of course, they would love to get lucky with widespread public demand, but it's just not likely to happen with their first Android phone, not yet running Marshmallow, with the slider form factor.

Posted via CB10
    If you were in a IT department of a large Enterprise why would you recommend a PRIV over a Samsung S6 soon to be S7 ? or go much cheaper even and get a mid range Samsung / capable device. There is just no getting away from the need to provide an all touch solution.

They need to sell a phone that has a broader range of appeal.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-28-16 at 06:11 PM.
    01-28-16 05:54 PM
    If you were in a IT department of a large Enterprise why would you recommend a PRIV over a Samsung S6 soon to be S7 ?
    The hardware root of trust and the secure bootchain may be good reasons for those that value that level of security.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...roid-platform/
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-28-16 06:30 PM
    The hardware root of trust and the secure bootchain may be good reasons for those that value that level of security.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...roid-platform/
    If if this is true then for sure they should have made a "secure" all touch to compete with the iPhone.
    01-28-16 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    What important customers??

I really doubt that there are very many "customers" waiting for BlackBerry to get their act together. Right now there is no guarantee that BlackBerry will even stay in hardware. Think that is why BlackBerry switched their focus back to consumers. Enterprise wants a vendor that is stable and will be their in two years. And that isn't the message Chen is putting out there right now.

Now if by some miracle they sell 5 Million device and their finical problems go away.... everyone (including Chen) will be more confidant in their being future BlackBerry devices.
    01-29-16 07:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    What important customers??

I really doubt that there are very many "customers" waiting for BlackBerry to get their act together. Right now there is no guarantee that BlackBerry will even stay in hardware. Think that is why BlackBerry switched their focus back to consumers. Enterprise wants a vendor that is stable and will be their in two years. And that isn't the message Chen is putting out there right now.

Now if by some miracle they sell 5 Million device and their finical problems go away.... everyone (including Chen) will be more confidant in their being future BlackBerry devices.
    01-29-16 07:35 AM
    Today both Google and BlackBerry say:

You�ll learn how Android for Work, enabled with enhanced security and simple management through BlackBerry�s BES12 EMM software, will help you turn your employees� Android devices into perfect business tools with:

Simplified IT management for all devices
    Secure corporate data
    User privacy protected
    All the apps you need.

It is difficult to say that their customers should buy a PRIV when a Samsung can be a perfect business tool. Actually BlackBerry does not have the right messaging for any of their three markets. Consumers, Business and highly secured.

Maybe BlackBerry has an understanding with Google that they will not directly compete with an all touch device for some period of time. Perhaps, they just want to keep with low volume devices while they perfect their version of Android. They do not need a repeat of the storm/Z10 failures. It does seem though that the PRIV has not been a failure or a resounding success.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-29-16 at 10:43 AM.
    01-29-16 10:04 AM
    They can say whatever they want but there are no one to believe to, anymore.
    01-29-16 02:15 PM
97 ... 234