Yeah... it's just so difficult to double press the home button and swipe up the apps you want to close

While on BB10 you really have to go into device monitor to find the apps that are running in the background... very surprising sometimes.
    By the way, I am quoting friends and family with iPhone 6. Their feedback on their devices.

Posted via Classic
    02-16-15 04:16 PM
    By the way, I am quoting friends and family with iPhone 6. Their feedback on their devices.

Posted via Classic
    Afraid those same friends and family would be lost on a BB10 device. It is very surprising the number of people that have smartphones and have no clue how to operate one. Which is why Apple's overly simply UI is actually so popular. The complexity of Android and the changes from one OEM to the next can be for the "unsophisticated" very confusing. While BB10's gesture based OS is unfamiliar to most and the difference from native BB10 to Android Apps is very confusing for some.

Was just on vacation and I helped several people that were lost when it came to using their smartphones - for some it was changing camera settings, for others it was trying to use the Disney Experience App (pretty much a requirement if you plan to go to Walt Disney World in the future).

Was also the first trip where it was very noticeable that most people now use their smartphones as their primary camera. But as I don't trust my Z10's camera... I still had my bulky digital camera.
    02-17-15 07:54 AM
    Afraid those same friends and family would be lost on a BB10 device. It is very surprising the number of people that have smartphones and have no clue how to operate one. Which is why Apple's overly simply UI is actually so popular. The complexity of Android and the changes from one OEM to the next can be for the "unsophisticated" very confusing. While BB10's gesture based OS is unfamiliar to most and the difference from native BB10 to Android Apps is very confusing for some.

Was just on vacation and I helped several people that were lost when it came to using their smartphones - for some it was changing camera settings, for others it was trying to use the Disney Experience App (pretty much a requirement if you plan to go to Walt Disney World in the future).

Was also the first trip where it was very noticeable that most people now use their smartphones as their primary camera. But as I don't trust my Z10's camera... I still had my bulky digital camera.
    maybe it's time for an upgrade to a Z30 or Passport or even an iPhone 6, so you can get a camera trustworthy.
    02-17-15 08:40 AM
    iOS when it first came out Steve said all you need to know is to hit the home button. That is not the case anymore: press home button once to get to the icon grid you were at last. Press it again to get to the first page of icons. Double Press it to get to apps that are running. Doubletap it to get you to reachability. Each of these things were afterthoughts and are all compromises.
    As a matter of fact, they are afterthoughts. They were included only much later (reachability only last year) and still incorporated in a manner that makes them useful while not adding needles complexity to the phone. But the premise you start with is still true: all you need to know are the basics, including pressing the home button once. You don’t need to press the home button again to return to the first page of the home screen, it’s a handy shortcut for proficient users, but it’s not an essential function to use the phone. Neither are the app switcher or reachability, or even the notification and control centres. BlackBerry 10 and Android, by comparison, have a steeper learning curve even for these basic tasks.

Trying to close running apps in the background for iOS8 was ridiculous. My husband has the iPhone 6 for work and complained about it non stop for the first couple of weeks.
    My guess is that too many people come to the iPhone with a ‘spoilt’ mindset, specifically that of a desktop user or experienced smartphone user. Many people still wrongly assume that you need to close apps on iOS (for whatever reason), when in fact this has, at worst, a negative effect on battery life (apps that need to be reloaded into memory constantly). The iPhone is in many aspects so simple that switchers tend to overcomplicate things and as a result deem to iPhone as ‘too dumb’, ‘too simple’ or ‘a toy’, when in fact it has been designed as a tool, i.e. something you use to get something done without having to jump through many hoops.
    02-17-15 09:03 AM
    So is Blackberry the Porsche of smartphones? I kind of like the fact that I don't see someone with the same phone as me every time I step out the house. Yes, a phone is a phone but new Blackberries come across as more exclusive and "official" than other Smartphones to me.

Posted via CB10
    You could say any phone/product not widely used is exclusive. The question is why is it not widely used and can it sustain that business model? A Palm Pre was exclusive when it launched but for all the wrong reasons. The Playbook was an exclusive tablet when it launched. Being exclusive only matters if the profitability of the product can sustain its exclusivity.
    02-17-15 10:41 AM
    You could say any phone/product not widely used is exclusive. The question is why is it not widely used and can it sustain that business model? A Palm Pre was exclusive when it launched but for all the wrong reasons. The Playbook was an exclusive tablet when it launched. Being exclusive only matters if the profitability of the product can sustain its exclusivity.
    Yes, Edsel is probably a much better analogy than Porsche.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:32 PM
31 12