Legacy. History

In August, 2011. Matthew Miller of ZDnet predicted the delay of BlackBerry 10 into 2013. At the time he didn't even know it was called 'Blackberry 10' but understanding market patterns does not require you to know a name, BBX or otherwise. Within simple reasoning he deduced that enterprise wouldn't adopt the phones in 2012, and here's why:
    QNX is unproven on phones: As I stated, companies and government agencies don't move that fast and many of them are not quick to adopt new technologies either. QNX is being tested on the PlayBook and that serves as a nice platform for this purpose. When the new QNX-based phones come out in 2012 there is likely to be some bugs, application incompatibilities, and more issues that have to be worked out. Companies will wait and see how the new OS performs before adopting right away so I would not expect them to purchase QNX devices until at least 2013. Thus, you can use one of these new BB OS 7 devices for a year or two before worrying about upgrading.
    This accounts for the 2 month delay that RIM has used to iron out those kinks and bugs.

This also explains the 4GLTE PlayBooks and FIPS Certification of the BB10 prior to launch. To prove QNX to enterprise. So that the BB10 phones can be purchased without hesitation and implemented much faster into enterprise. Furthermore we've read numerous reports that carriers were behind a Q1 2013 launch. Carriers understand RIM and its infrastructure are necessitous if they want to cater to business and enterprise-prosumers. That is steady business they don't want to give up.Sprint understands this earnestly.

All the above has everything to do with why BlackBerry10 will succeed. "Victory loves preparation"
    Steve Jobs taught the world this when he moved NeXT from hardware to OPENSTEP development in 1994. This move laid the foundation of the OSX and iOS operating systems.

Legacy
    QNX has a rich history of reliability in the embedded market. It is older than both Apple Lisa and Windows 1 and was introduced in 1982. In otherwords, it's been put through the gauntlet, and time and time again has proven THE most reliable and scalable operating system in the market, a true RTOS at that. We got a fairly good discussion going here in the forums if you care to delve into QNX some more.. If you don't take my word for it, take the core designer Dan Dodges. QNX alone is not why BlackBerry10 will succeed. Look at WebOS--great OS, but HP failed to bring it about in a manor that could garner marketshare. RIM is a telecommunication company first and foremost. THIS IS WHAT THEY DO. They pioneered the cellular space and revolutionized it with the introduction of BlackBerry, by 2002 BlackBerry was the king of smartphones a throne held until all of Jobs preparation came into light in 2007 with the iPhone.

This is what Android looked like in 2007:
    Back in 2007, Gizmodo published the first photograph of a Google Android prototype in the wild. It was the world’s first device to run the Android OS, but it was unlike any Android device you’ll find today. In fact, the device looks like it was built to compete with a BlackBerry, thanks to its physical QWERTY keyboard and teeny display. (Which wasn’t a touchscreen.)-TechnoBuffalo
    And Android is a very integral part of this tale. You can see a visual history of Android here. Why is this important to BlackBerry10? The Astonishing Tribe.
    Notably, Google developed Android 1.0's UI with help from The Astonishing Tribe, a Swedish interaction design firm responsible for some truly amazing interface concepts over the years. If you look closely, you can see where TAT left its mark on the platform: the analog clock widget included in Android versions 1.0 through 2.2 read "Malmo" in small, light gray type near the bottom of the face, a tribute to TAT's hometown of Malm�, Sweden.
    Android version 1 spanned all the way to 2.0 Eclair. This is important because what we know of Android today was heavily influenced by TAT back in the early Android days. Essentially Android got "popular" once TAT came on board to help facelift the UI. As you can see above, they needed the help. There's a great interivew with the TAT co-founder prior to being bought by RIM that you can find here.
    Our technology is shipping in every eighth phone sold worldwide, and soon 500 million units sold, from Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and pre-embedded in Symbian (S60). We also did the UI design for AndroidOS. - Hampus Jakobsson
    TAT also licensed software to other industries such as automotive and consumer electronics.TAT was purchased by RIM in 2010 as we all know and they've been hard at work doing some really great things for the platform, Confetti and ScrapBook are prime concepts/examples of the work being put into BlackBerry10. QNX lacked a proper SDK and were relying on Adobe Air, Flash and HTML5 for development of applications. TAT brings with them their Cascades UI framework and they've baked the beauty into BlackBerry10 SDKs, giving anyone who knows C++ and QML the ability to create some really astonishing applications.
    The addition of TAT is arguably as big an asset as QNX. Why?

A level playing field. While BlackBerryOS may have been written in C++, the only way to gain entry onto the platform was to build in JAVA. While java is the glue of AndroidOS and java-script is the glue of HTML5. Writing completely in JAVA is antiquated now-a-days when in 2008 Apple released their NDK which was strictly for development in Objective C. This was Apples real innovation. Allowing developers to create rich, fluid and powerful apps, and the rest is pretty much history. But we cannot neglect the openess of the QNX platform and the amazing tools built by the BlackBerry Dev teams and TAT (now RIM Sweden).

BlackBerry10 will be a success because of the APPS and enhanced UX (User Experience).
    The BlackBerry platform has always been profitable more so than both iOS and Android, and developers know it.
    But the truth of the matter is developers rather build apps that hit a larger audience. With 80 million users BBOS wasn't worth pulling out the old Java books and writing apps for. This is the dramatic change with BlackBerry 10. All the developers who write for the other platforms, iOS, Android, WebOS, Windows, MeeGo, all of them can bring their apps to BlackBerry 10, because RIM has spent the time preparing the tools. They have lowered the barriers of entry, and their tools are 100% free. Because the BB10 App World will not be congested App World Market will explode on launch, and more and more developers are going to jump on board, especially after seeing major support from the development houses around the globe. Do I need to remind everyone that upwards of 400,000 Apps in Apples App Store have never been downloaded? With the big names on board the rest is child's play. And you can bet that RIM will have all the major names on board when we see BlackBerry 10 mid February, 2013, they would not risk their turnaround on a few thousand apps that can cripple the launch, they have learned from PlayBook, a whole helluva lot. And even still the Playbook is a damn good device that I'm happy to be BETA testing

Viva la Revolucion! The dawn of a new era is at hand. Just under 80 days till the event launch for BlackBerry10. Get your friends and families educated! BlackBerry is on the rise.
    11-12-12 09:26 AM
    Meh, all I see here are the same tired, old arguments about BB10 that have been rehashed so many times before.

You really get tired of correcting the same misunderstandings over and over*, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Lets return to this post in March and we'll see.
    (I suspect you just read up a little on QNX and what a kernel is, and you seriously think you're the only person in the forums who really knows what it's all about. Sure, people who not only study this stuff but teach computer science and have tried WRITING a kernel or an operating system might disagree, but what do they know, right? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, my friend... Never forget that.)
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    11-12-12 09:50 AM
    You just harshed my great morning Buzz..
    11-12-12 10:02 AM
    Don't mind me I'm just trying to get my post count up
    Kernals are what get stuck between my teeth when I'm at the movies
    kbz1960, kraski, Dapper37 and 3 others like this.
    11-12-12 10:05 AM
    Meh, all I see here are the same tired, old arguments about BB10 that have been rehashed so many times before.

You really get tired of correcting the same misunderstandings over and over*, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Lets return to this post in March and we'll see.
    (I suspect you just read up a little on QNX and what a kernel is, and you seriously think you're the only person in the forums who really knows what it's all about. Sure, people who not only study this stuff but teach computer science and have tried WRITING a kernel or an operating system might disagree, but what do they know, right? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, my friend... Never forget that.)
    Yikes! It's OK to disagree or correct info without a whip in your hand! True, it is hard to be patient when you are all-knowing, but how is your approach different than what is happening in the Middle East? Sheesh! I do not allow toddlers to behave this way to each other. Hopefully you did not mean to come on quite so strong.
    11-12-12 11:21 AM
    haha, jamezalexander, I see you all over the internet at some of the other tech sites advocating BB10 and such. I dont know if you wrote this article yourself or not, but regardless, great write-up. I believe more and more everyday that BB will really make a big push, a relatively silent comeback. All of a sudden, BlackBerry will be everywhere, all up in your faces in the NA and people wil realize how feeble and brittle iOS is.

James Nieves likes this.
    11-12-12 12:53 PM
    Nice summary. One question - what do you mean you're beta testing the PlayBook?
    11-12-12 12:54 PM
    hahah yes I wrote this I do my best to preach to good word BlackBerry makes great severvly underrated products. I fell in love with my Playbook day one, and haven't turned back. Messed with iPhones and Androids for a few years. But dammmed I am, if I didn't miss my first BB Curve 8520. BlackBerry may not be a great media consumption device but they've always been da*mn good COMMUNICATION devices

And I mean that we are beta testing BlackBerry 10 for RIM, and we paid them for the opportunity to do so. The PlayBook is a great, albeit half-baked version of what is to come next year. We PlayBook owners are part of a 2million+ beta test--owning, complaining and arguing about the playbook is helping RIM make BB10 all the more better.
    11-12-12 01:43 PM
    I like jamesalexander's history lesson, despite CrackedBarry's negativity. James is pretty much right on. I'm suspecting his "the Playbook is a damn good device that I'm happy to be BETA testing" comment means he's talking about OS testing. I had the opportunity to do that for 2.1 before it came out, but didn't have the time to give it what I consider real testing. At any rate, I agree that BB10 can be a success. But I still have two question marks as to whether it will be.

First, we've seen lots of videos of parts of the OS and the potential is pretty exciting. But the same could be said for various flavors of Windows. MS was famous for programming by committee, needing to cobble together pieces from different programming sections. The result was an OS that wasn't nearly as fluid, intuitive, user friendly, integrated, or seamless as it should have been. Till we get our hands on the BB10 devices, we don't know whether it'll have those same issues or not.

Second, OS6, OS7, and the Playbook have shown that RIM still needs to show its marketing chops. Unless they do better with that, they're not going to reach many who aren't already BB fans and owners.
    11-12-12 01:57 PM
    Great writeup. I learned a few things from it.
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-12-12 03:06 PM
    Enjoyed the write up. Good job of explaining why BB10 has the tools to be successful. If marketed right,though iOS and Android have enjoyed popularity, BB10 has the ability to convince people it is worth the wait.
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-12-12 03:43 PM
    Blahaaaaa..hahaha. Very nice post Jamez. Thanks.
    PS be careful its like that guy is stalking you, at least your posts. Stalking or the highest form of flatery.
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-12-12 06:34 PM
    Blahaaaaa..hahaha. Very nice post Jamez. Thanks.
    PS be careful its like that guy is stalking you, at least your posts. Stalking or the highest form of flatery.
    People should be equally careful when taking Jamez's post at face-value. There's already some misinformation in there, and there's also a creepy, almost religious undertone to some of his BB10 posts.

I too think BB10 could be a success, but I'd make much more subdued claims and avoid terms like "immeasurable potential" and "Viva la Revolucion".
    xicoxicao likes this.
    11-12-12 06:49 PM
    Legacy. History

In August, 2011. Matthew Miller of ZDnet predicted the delay of BlackBerry 10 into 2013. At the time he didn't even know it was called 'Blackberry 10' but understanding market patterns does not require you to know a name, BBX or otherwise. Within simple reasoning he deduced that enterprise wouldn't adopt the phones in 2012, and here's why:
    QNX is unproven on phones: As I stated, companies and government agencies don't move that fast and many of them are not quick to adopt new technologies either. QNX is being tested on the PlayBook and that serves as a nice platform for this purpose. When the new QNX-based phones come out in 2012 there is likely to be some bugs, application incompatibilities, and more issues that have to be worked out. Companies will wait and see how the new OS performs before adopting right away so I would not expect them to purchase QNX devices until at least 2013. Thus, you can use one of these new BB OS 7 devices for a year or two before worrying about upgrading.
    This accounts for the 2 month delay that RIM has used to iron out those kinks and bugs.
    The way I see it, the Playbook OS and the BB10 OS are completely different operating systems. Sure they are built off the same base operating system of QNX, but a lot of the interface and the upper levels of the OS are completely rewritten. In fact, his assumption is that phones would be out in 2012 and they would not be adopted until at least 2013. So if we account for the delay, he would likely state that adoption would not be until the end of the year, or maybe even as far as 2014.
    Thunderbuck and Drew808 like this.
    11-12-12 06:54 PM
    This was a good post! Almost like the battlecry or something! lol
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-12-12 06:54 PM
    People should be equally careful when taking Jamez's post at face-value. There's already some misinformation in there, and there's also a creepy, almost religious undertone to some of his BB10 posts.

I too think BB10 could be a success, but I'd make much more subdued claims and avoid terms like "immeasurable potential" and "Viva la Revolucion".
    I took the "immeasurable potential" and "Viva la Revolucion" comments as his own and only adding a bit of color. No harm done IMO.
    Yet the rest of the post is clearly backed up by opinion and statements of others, When you concider the wrath that RIM has endured over the last 18 months with nothing more than heresay and flat out lies being printed as the truth. Jamez has done a service!
    Take the public viewed anaylist comments that hit the stock regarding the March or later delivery of BB10. Now known as false yet do we see a retraction from PM. no.
    The list of falsehoods around RIM is huge. Yet you take issue with this post?
    antonnin and James Nieves like this.
    11-12-12 07:04 PM
    I took the "immeasurable potential" and "Viva la Revolucion" comments as his own and only adding a bit of color. No harm done IMO.
    Yet the rest of the post is clearly backed up by opinion and statements of others, When you concider the wrath that RIM has endured over the last 18 months with nothing more than heresay and flat out lies being printed as the truth. Jamez has done a service!
    Take the public viewed anaylist comments that hit the stock regarding the March or later delivery of BB10. Now known as false yet do we see a retraction from PM. no.
    The list of falsehoods around RIM is huge. Yet you take issue with this post?
    If someone needs to use misinformation in order to boost their argument, I don't take much stock in anything else they have to say.

If they don't realize they're using false info, then I question their research.
    11-12-12 07:06 PM
    If someone needs to use misinformation in order to boost their argument, I don't take much stock in anything else they have to say.

What are the areas of misinformation? It would be cool if you could set the record straight.
    11-12-12 07:36 PM
    What are the areas of misinformation? It would be cool if you could set the record straight.
    The statement about 400,000 ios apps never being downloaded is an outright lie. It was made up by some company trying to give some buzz to their new tool launch. iOS App Store Boasts 700K Apps, 90% Downloaded Every Month | TechCrunch
    11-12-12 07:48 PM

I agree, you imply that Jamez is using false information but are not providing appropriate counter information.
    The whole RIM story over the last 18 months has been worse than presidential politics with the misinformation being spread at will with regards to RIM. If you have some facts to back up your negative view of QNX, the statements from other educated sources that have been provided here. I will read and learn from them. The cracked guy clearly feels that RIM should simply go with android? Those days are past and he should move on or provide something useful that people in this forum can gain from.

EDIT; you got in before me, im having a look. A quick view makes me believe there are things left out of each article. Truth being like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder. Just ask any one of the negative nancyies that print untruths about RIM. They now this!
    11-12-12 07:51 PM
    I agree, you imply that Jamez is using false information but are not providing appropriate counter information.
    The whole RIM story over the last 18 months has been worse than presidential politics with the misinformation being spread at will with regards to RIM. If you have some facts to back up your negative view of QNX, the statements from other educated sources that have been provided here. I will read and learn from them. The cracked guy clearly feels that RIM should simply go with android? Those days are past and he should move on or provide something useful that people in this forum can gain from.
    Read the post directly above yours. Then stop making assumptions that I have a negative view of QNX. There's a big difference between reserved and negative.
    richardat likes this.
    11-12-12 07:53 PM
    iOS App Store Boasts 700K Apps, 90% Downloaded Every Month | TechCrunch

This information is taken direct from apple themselves. I have a very hard time believeing it as fact. consider the below quote. where it state that the maket serves 400 million devices. then states that actally is the number of ios devices ever sold. The 2 statements are ment to mislead.

"That marketplace services 400 million iOS devices, the number sold through June of this year".

I just dont see how 90% of apps are going to be downloaded every month. Yet I have no facts of my own. Its like saying even back in the day, that 90% of books were taken out of a library every month. Many im sure just aren't that good.

The truth is different to everyone. Those who try to influence others own the burden of proff.
    11-12-12 08:08 PM
    The statement about 400,000 ios apps never being downloaded is an outright lie. It was made up by some company trying to give some buzz to their new tool launch. iOS App Store Boasts 700K Apps, 90% Downloaded Every Month | TechCrunch
    Is that it? jamezalexander's link could have been omitted, but it wouldn't have changed the fact that BB's app store isn't as congested as the others (except Windows Phone).
    11-12-12 08:12 PM
    iOS App Store Boasts 700K Apps, 90% Downloaded Every Month | TechCrunch

This information is taken direct from apple themselves. I have a very hard time believeing it as fact. consider the below quote. where it state that the maket serves 400 million devices. then states that actally is the number of ios devices ever sold. The 2 statements are ment to misslead.

That marketplace services 400 million iOS devices, the number sold through June of this year.

I just dont see how 90% of apps are going to be downloaded every month. Yet I have no facts of my own. Its like saying even back in the day, that 90% of books were taken out of a library every month. Many im sure just aren't that good.

The truth is different to everyong. Those who try to influance others own the burden of proff.
    That's a sad response. Even the company that originally posted the results made a statement saying that their methodology wasn't ideal and they are likely wrong.

If you're doubting the official story, then how on earth can you believe 90% of the OP? It's first party information from RIM and it's subsidiaries. I stated my point, you interjected with a double standard. There's no point in discussing with you.

The saddest thing is, we're arguing varying degrees of the same side of an argument.
    11-12-12 08:14 PM
    That's a sad response. Even the company that originally posted the results made a statement saying that their methodology wasn't ideal and they are likely wrong.

If you're doubting the official story, then how on earth can you believe 90% of the OP? It's first party information from RIM and it's subsidiaries. I stated my point, you interjected with a double standard. There's no point in discussing with you.

The saddest thing is, we're arguing varying degrees of the same side of an argument.
    Sad thing is you take the apple fan site as the official story. like their bonded not to exaggerate!
    I say the truth is somewhere inbetween. not one side or the other.
    You need not have a hissy fit, Its just a discussion.
    11-12-12 08:21 PM
79 123 ...