Hey just a theory here, does anyone else think that BB10 was postponed because of the iphone 5 as this would give RIM more time to consider the hardware specs of their new devices (not copy specs but to know where the competition stands and what standard the BB10 hardware should be at)
    07-27-12 04:14 AM
    No it's not released simply because they couldn't meet their schedule - if you go back over earnings calls over the last few years, it's pretty clear that it was really intended to come on-stream at the start of 2012 (the playbook 4g is talked about as being scheduled for released towards the end of last year) - I think the idea was that BB10 would ramp up while BB7 sales declines and it was re-positioned as a platform for emerging markets and kids - that didn't happen.

Moreover, if the iphone 5 is out in Oct, that doesn't provide much time to change spec and make arrangements in the supply chain - that sorts of stuff needs longer than three months.
    Last edited by cgk; 07-27-12 at 04:32 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-27-12 04:21 AM
    no. But RIM and carriers are setting up a plan to take as much as possible advantage of the (bad) Q1 delay. Then, you may interpret it "counter clockwise" but I don't believe a minute it was their initial plan.
    Hint : BB10 Webworks SDK beta releases cycle ends October (ish).
    steppinghorse likes this.
    07-27-12 04:29 AM
    the next iphone specs, although maybe not officially set in stone, were pretty clearly guessed for the most extent. they wouldnt have time per se to wait and see what it has, run through all tests again, then release it. in general, i think its pretty clear what the specs are going to be for the next iphone, its not some huge secret.
    07-27-12 05:05 AM
    Is that you Alex Jones?
    07-27-12 06:41 AM
    But Mr. Hines did say that many carriers didn't mind the delay.

This also allows time for the iPhone 5 noise to die down. Because, you know that no matter how much the new iPhone is just basically the same thing yet again, you'll hear everywhere just how wonderful and magical it is for several months. If BB10 were to come out around the same time, no one would notice. Because it would be nothing but "iPhone" everywhere - the press from tech blogs to your daily paper (what "normal" people see), ads on TV where people can actually see them without having to hunt for them (take note, RIM with your worthless youtube "ads"), and the big carrier push.

It's not to see what Apple will put in the thing. I'm sure the specs are known well enough by those in the industry. You don't need to know specifics to at least have a general idea. RIM needs that time just to be noticed when they do release BB 10.
    07-27-12 10:16 AM
    Bb10 is delayed because it isn't ready. It IS that SIMPLE.
    07-27-12 10:44 AM
    I don't think so...delayed release because they just can't make their predicted deadline. Besides, it would probably be released only a month after iOS6 so how could RIM one up Apple (or any tech company for that matter) in one month's time?
    07-27-12 03:10 PM
    I think that it was delayed because it was not ready. One thought that I have in mind is that RIM is probably going to release videos of more BB10 features just before the Iphone 5 is released. If the features exceeds Iphone 5 features, a good amount of people might decide to wait for BB10 phone.
    07-28-12 11:35 PM
    No!!!!!!!! only because i needed 10 char!
    07-28-12 11:40 PM
    oh man not another theory..
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    07-29-12 02:07 AM
    Nope.
    It's just simply not ready yet.
    07-29-12 10:48 AM
    Hey just a theory here, does anyone else think that BB10 was postponed because of the iphone 5 as this would give RIM more time to consider the hardware specs of their new devices (not copy specs but to know where the competition stands and what standard the BB10 hardware should be at)
    the competition is also samsung. why not just see what samsung has out there do point RIM in the right direction. focusing solely on the new iphone and delaying product release specifically to see what apple has is store is not a good idea. sadly, even when RIM does introduce their new phones in JAN, FEB, MARCH, none will have specs equal to or better than samsung OR apple.
    07-29-12 11:20 AM
    It's possible, nobody really knows for sure. I would take some of the absolute no's on this thread with a grain of salt. Unless those people work for RIM and were in on the meetings with Heins, they aren't in a position to provide any conclusive answers.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 07-29-12 at 11:38 AM.
    07-29-12 11:34 AM
    No, its not possible. Its called logic. One does not need to sit on the board to know what is and isn't a stupid business decision.
    07-29-12 01:21 PM
    It has nothing to do with the release of iphone 5. Simply as usual RIM can't get there sh&t together and release something on time. Whether BB10 is released at the same time or later then iphone 5 release won't matter as iphone will outsell BB10 regardless. Not because iphone will be better necessarily but because of all the isheep that need the latest and greatest.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-29-12 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD