I currently have a blackberry torch 9800. And I love it, my father on the other hand has been looking into getting a new phone. He wants to get a blackberry smartphone. Me being a blackberry fan have been wondering, if he should wait and get a Blackberry 10 device or get a Blackberry bold 9900. What should I tell him.
    01-30-12 04:55 PM
    Most people like/want a BlackBerry because of the keyboard, the 9900 has the best one ever. BlackBerry 10 phones won't have a keyboard for a very long time...
    01-30-12 04:58 PM
    I currently have a blackberry torch 9800. And I love it, my father on the other hand has been looking into getting a new phone. He wants to get a blackberry smartphone. Me being a blackberry fan have been wondering, if he should wait and get a Blackberry 10 device or get a Blackberry bold 9900. What should I tell him.
    It really depends. They both have ups and downs. As you've probably heard, the 9900 isn't going to be receiving BBOS 10 and has some issues with bricking and battery life, but it's still the best BlackBerry out there today. And of course there's still a solid 10 months until BB10, so if he chose to wait he would be waiting a while.
    01-30-12 04:59 PM
    I think depending how long he wants to wait is going to be the deciding factor... I'm not sure when BB10 is coming out but I'm guessing it's probably going to be at least another year or so...
    01-30-12 04:59 PM
    I thought Blackberry 10 was supposed to be released in Febuary 2012? Or am I thinking of some thing else? >.<
    01-30-12 05:02 PM
    I just saw this online looking for a release date... Could be wrong...

RIM: First BlackBerry 10 phones coming end of 2012 | VentureBeat
    01-30-12 05:03 PM
    PlayBook's OS 2.0 drops in Feb. BB10 will be later in the Q3+ of 2012.
    01-30-12 05:04 PM
    Feb is the release of OS 2.0 for the playbook BB10 devices wont be until around sept. 2012
    01-30-12 05:05 PM
    Watch Thorsten Heins pump out BB10 before the expected date lol
    01-30-12 05:09 PM
    put it out a month before it was supposed to be released.
    01-30-12 05:20 PM
    Watch Thorsten Heins pump out BB10 before the expected date lol
    I can hear the trolls now:

If RIM beats the deadline: "RIM rushes half-baked handsets to market"

If RIM meets the deadline: "RIM rushes half-baked handsets to market"

If RIM misses the deadline: "RIM misses release date, rushes half-baked handsets to market"

Compare this to Apple missing an expected but unannounced deadline: "Something earth-shattering is coming with the new handset!"

It's totally unfair.
    01-30-12 05:21 PM
    lol So true...

I can hear the trolls now:

If RIM beats the deadline: "RIM rushes half-baked handsets to market"

If RIM meets the deadline: "RIM rushes half-baked handsets to market"

If RIM misses the deadline: "RIM misses release date, rushes half-baked handsets to market"

Compare this to Apple missing an expected but unannounced deadline: "Something earth-shattering is coming with the new handset!"

It's totally unfair.
    01-30-12 05:23 PM
    Wait for BB10, OS 7 will be a orphan soon and the Bold is currently behind in specs and form factor.
    01-30-12 05:32 PM
    Wait for BB10, OS 7 will be a orphan soon and the Bold is currently behind in specs and form factor.
    How is it any different from various Android devices still running HC, yet more and more devices are 'able' to upgrade to ICS, but it is not available.

Apple devices? Some of the older gens cannot upgrade to iOS 5, but millions of people still seem to enjoy them.

Not everyone who owns a device will have the latest and greatest. The transition of technology moves quickly, but consumer adoption does not.
    01-30-12 05:52 PM
    If your father is shopping around for a device now he should get the 9900 now.

He could also pair his 9900 with a playbook to experience RIM's next gen OS.
    01-30-12 07:00 PM
    How is it any different from various Android devices still running HC, yet more and more devices are 'able' to upgrade to ICS, but it is not available.

Apple devices? Some of the older gens cannot upgrade to iOS 5, but millions of people still seem to enjoy them.

Not everyone who owns a device will have the latest and greatest. The transition of technology moves quickly, but consumer adoption does not.
    Because the Android ecosystem is very different from the Blackberry ecosystem. RIMs BB10 phones will have a different ecosystem than BBOS and has the potential to have better email (after watching
    CES playbook OS 2 presentation), better app selection, better support (OTA updates), etc. BBOS7 are nice phones but they're not very groundbreaking. They wouldn't get some of apps that the QNX will get (if PBOS2 and BB10 are successful) because developers aren't going to create apps for a soon to orphaned OS.
    01-30-12 07:46 PM
    Because the Android ecosystem is very different from the Blackberry ecosystem. RIMs BB10 phones will have a different ecosystem than BBOS and has the potential to have better email (after watching
    CES playbook OS 2 presentation), better app selection, better support (OTA updates), etc. BBOS7 are nice phones but they're not very groundbreaking. They wouldn't get some of apps that the QNX will get (if PBOS2 and BB10 are successful) because developers aren't going to create apps for a soon to orphaned OS.
    What are you talking about?
    01-30-12 07:54 PM
    What about an inexpensive 9650 from ebay? It's a good solid phone. It's definitely slower than the new OS7 7 phones, but there are more apps for OS 6 than for 7. It has a great keyboard, a nice screen, an autofocus camera with a flash, and the accessories are cheap now. It bridges nicely to a Playbook. And it will serve you well until BB10 comes out.
    01-30-12 07:59 PM
    Like the one poster mentioned. BB10 wont be out till late 2012 and even then, it will more than likely be on the all touch screen. So if he is used to keyboards, then I would just opt out and get the 9900 now. It is still a sweet phone and I am sure he would be more than happy with it.
    01-30-12 08:37 PM
    Oops double post.
    Last edited by vtpmt81; 01-31-12 at 07:42 AM.
    01-30-12 10:46 PM
    What are you talking about?
    Android and Apple aren't creating entirely new OSes. Most Apple users have the iphone 3g, 4, and 4s. Most Android phones are on Froyo or Gingerbread. Most Android/Apple device users have access to most apps/ecosystem features and will if their devices get an ICS/IOS update or not.

RIM's transition from BBOS to QNX is similar to Microsoft transitioning from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone 7. This is different from owning an OG Droid and a Droid Razor. Your BBOS phone which is just last generation wont be able to run any of the apps/ecosystem features that BB10 phones can. If that is the case, why not wait for a BB10 phone if your current phone isn't falling apart?
    01-30-12 10:58 PM
    it all depends on when hes looking to get one. if he can wait i say wait. the BB10s are/should be amazing and defintly somthing worth the wait, or we are all hoping for. bit if he NEEDS one now then for sure go with the 9900. you can always buy ine second hand that way you are saving your hardware upgrade for when the BB10s do come out and still want one.
    01-30-12 11:25 PM
    My post was in reference to a consumer question, not a development one.

People want a device that works. There are already cases in all three major platforms where certain apps will not work with older OS versions and/or devices. The average user isn't in a carrier store asking which ecosystem is the most robust.

If your phone isn't broken, then why change it? Idk, I agree with you. The OP's Father however, needs a new phone now, not in 8+ months.
    01-30-12 11:28 PM
    if he wants to wait a couple of months then get the bb10 phones ... but keep in mind its RIM so you might get the phone with a few bugs here and there.

Personally I would wait ... even if the bb10 phones come out and you don't like them the price of the 9900 will have dropped anyways ... actually it depends ... is your father on a contract? if so is this an early upgrade or is his contract expiring?
    01-30-12 11:28 PM
    I thought Blackberry 10 was supposed to be released in Febuary 2012? Or am I thinking of some thing else? >.<

You are thinking of something else...

The iPad 3
    01-31-12 01:19 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD