Do you guys think that BlackBerries depreciate far faster than other smartphones?

For example... the 9700 came out in October 2009.
    The iPhone 3GS 32GB in June 2009.

If you wanna buy an iPhone 3GS 32GB now, with normal wear and tear, its NO LESS, than 250 dollars. If you wanna buy a 9700, same regular wear and tear, its NO MORE than 200. Why? And the iPhone in question actually came out MONTHS before the 9700 did.

What "bothers me" is that, they both start, when new and just came out, at the same price almost... yet the BlackBerries depreciate SO fast, and if I wanna resell it now to say get a newer phone, even if its in great conditions, I am not getting more than 200, but my buddy with the 3GS can get an EASY 250 to 300.
    07-06-11 05:49 AM
    Wasn't the iphone 3GS more expensive off contract?
    07-06-11 05:55 AM
    the iphone is a much more desireable phone than the 9700 at this point in its lifespan i would guess

the retail price was also much more on the iphone.
    07-06-11 06:03 AM
    I think its just what more people want..... i have fewer and fewer friends with blackberrys.... their just not as popular as the iphone anymore
    07-06-11 07:11 AM
    [QUOTE=Capitan Totti;6461555]Do you guys think that BlackBerries depreciate far faster than other smartphones?

Retail for iPhone 3GS 32 Gig was a lot more than BB 9700 ($500) in Canada. I think those Apple extortionists were asking $700 for their phone. Funny as heck cause you can't even get through the day with the poor battery life. Only people who rave about their 3GS are the ones who have their phones jail broken. The consumers who bought the 3GS are trying to recoup their money. Dollar for dollar I think the BB's hold their value just as good if not better, plus the basic user doesn't have to jail brake the BB to make it useable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 07:57 AM
    I paid $50 USD for my 9700 so I am not too worried.
    07-06-11 08:50 AM
    What "bothers me" is that, they both start, when new and just came out, at the same price almost... yet the BlackBerries depreciate SO fast, and if I wanna resell it now to say get a newer phone, even if its in great conditions, I am not getting more than 200, but my buddy with the 3GS can get an EASY 250 to 300.
    AT&T and Verizon are subsidizing the iPhones at $400 off on contract, where most other phone are only subsized by $250 off on contract. iPhone sales in the US would not be anywhere near what they are if carriers subsidized the iPhone the same as other smart phones and people were paying $350 to $450 on contract.
    07-06-11 09:07 AM
    Go on ebay and see 7290 selling for 25 and 8320 selling for over 100 ever since you can use them on payg.

A 9700 still gets over 150 easy.

07-06-11 10:58 AM
    Its about supply and demand. Iphones are much more fragile, and therefore people are constantly needing to replace them while already in a contract.

Blackberries tend to hold up to abuse better and thus the secondary market for them is not as lucrative.
    07-06-11 10:59 AM
    Its about supply and demand. Iphones are much more fragile, and therefore people are constantly needing to replace them while already in a contract.

Blackberries tend to hold up to abuse better and thus the secondary market for them is not as lucrative.
    I sincerly doubt this arguement. My dad's iPhone 3G is close to three years without any problems. I get that Blackberries have a slightly lower hardware failure rate, but to say that average (not hardcore fans) would repeatedly buy a phone that craps out on them doesn't make logical sense (To me at least).

As for depreciation. My Torch is supposedly $600 new, but if I turn around and sell it, if I get $400, I'm lucky. $200 depreciation from check out to craigslist and that doesn't include the sales tax :s
    07-06-11 12:55 PM
    One specific case does not define the general rule. People love their iphones but i have seen many with cracked and broken screens.

You can add to that more people that want to switch to iphone mid-contract. Demand > supply.
    07-06-11 01:16 PM

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    07-06-11 02:08 PM
    AT&T and Verizon are subsidizing the iPhones at $400 off on contract, where most other phone are only subsized by $250 off on contract. iPhone sales in the US would not be anywhere near what they are if carriers subsidized the iPhone the same as other smart phones and people were paying $350 to $450 on contract.
    Most phones are subsidized equally, actually.
    07-06-11 02:12 PM
  14. T
    Great. Phones are investments now. Pitiful. I don't even concern myself with my phone's resale value.

07-06-11 06:17 PM
    Great. Phones are investments now. Pitiful. I don't even concern myself with my phone's resale value.

I have to agree with you. I never sell my phones. I keep them as backups.
    07-06-11 07:43 PM
    I have never purchased a phone thinking about resale value. I know it can be an important aspect of house or car purchases, but cell phones? Naaaah...
    07-06-11 08:11 PM
    Do you guys think that BlackBerries depreciate far faster than other smartphones?

If you wanna buy an iPhone 3GS 32GB now, with normal wear and tear, its NO LESS, than 250 dollars. If you wanna buy a 9700, same regular wear and tear, its NO MORE than 200. Why? And the iPhone in question actually came out MONTHS before the 9700 did.

Blackberries have a good resale. Try using another phone to compare to other than the number one selling smartphone on the planet.

Before I get flamed, I said "phone" not OS.
    07-06-11 09:06 PM
    It depends a lot on the buyer & seller. Just last week I bought a BNIB 9780 for $240 and sold it 2 days later for $380.

07-06-11 09:42 PM
    I usually keep my phones as back-ups as well or upgrade someone else who is on my plan.

07-06-11 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD