It's a sad state of affairs. There was an iPhone app recently that was found to be accessing and uploading the user's entire address book despite claims that it didn't. It was a major uproar and the people were canceling their accounts so fast that it put this company's future in question. Then it was found that MANY apps were ignoring IOS policies that were supposed to safeguard user information and it was met with a giant collective Meh!... Good news, they're changing that policy now... So hopefully, you might still have some private data left...

Until it costs people actual money, they won't really care...
    True. Information is money, but as long as raw banks are not touched, people do not care.

Look at us... we do Facebook, Twitter and track ourselves publicly on Foursquare. Kids have there phone numbers and addresses on FB. We on this thread are easily traced via IP.

Privacy is beyond an afterthought.
    04-02-12 09:15 PM
    ... we do Facebook, Twitter and track ourselves publicly on Foursquare. Kids have there phone numbers and addresses on FB. We on this thread are easily traced via IP.

Privacy is beyond an afterthought.
    There's a big difference between info people voluntarily put on line (and even the info they transmit over the net) versus private data, stored on a handheld, that someone is forcibly trying to extract. The latter is not possible on a password protected BlackBerry when the appropriate encryption settings are in use.
    04-02-12 09:24 PM
    LOL, my son has a rooted Android with a couple of banking apps, work email accounts, naughty pictures of his girlfriend, and every text message ever sent him. I showed him a python script linked from a blog post that would allow any literate person with access to a computer to retrieve his pattern lock code, and he just shrugged. Gotta love youth and invincibility.
    THIS is the problem. lol.

On that note... if i sideload an android banking app on my PB would it be 'secure'?
    I have a pw on the pb, but would the PB security work through the sideloaded app?
    04-02-12 10:02 PM
    There's a big difference between info people voluntarily put on line (and even the info they transmit over the net) versus private data, stored on a handheld, that someone is forcibly trying to extract. The latter is not possible on a password protected BlackBerry when the appropriate encryption settings are in use.
    My point being that people expose this information because they don't care. People share an incredible amount of information online.

Two major points to consider: most information thieves would look for other means of access, I think. Smartphones are great, but I can think of other means of access that involve less work and more data.

Second, the general rule of thumb is not to have anything that you can't bear to be exposed stored on a personal smartphone.
    04-02-12 10:30 PM
    THIS is the problem. lol.

On that note... if i sideload an android banking app on my PB would it be 'secure'?
    I have a pw on the pb, but would the PB security work through the sideloaded app?
    I think it would... just as secure as it is on my non-BB device.
    04-02-12 10:31 PM
    I think it would... just as secure as it is on my non-BB device.
    ? that is a contradiction.

What i mean is ... will the app be 'blackberry' grade secure even though it is a sideloaded app?
    04-02-12 10:34 PM
    ? that is a contradiction.

What i mean is ... will the app be 'blackberry' grade secure even though it is a sideloaded app?
    BlackBerry grade secure?

Sure. Android apps are sandboxed (IIRC), so you are more, uh, secure than the numerous Android and iOS users who use the same native app.
    04-02-12 10:37 PM
    BlackBerry grade secure?

Sure. Android apps are sandboxed (IIRC), so you are more, uh, secure than the numerous Android and iOS users who use the same native app.
    ... so is this a yes?

im not really sure how the 'security' features of BB phones/tablets work so thats why i am asking.
    04-02-12 10:41 PM
    ... so is this a yes?

im not really sure how the 'security' features of BB phones/tablets work so thats why i am asking.
    Yes... someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe no repackaged app should reduce BB/PB security.
    04-02-12 10:47 PM
    My point being that people expose this information because they don't care. People share an incredible amount of information online.

Two major points to consider: most information thieves would look for other means of access, I think. Smartphones are great, but I can think of other means of access that involve less work and more data.

Second, the general rule of thumb is not to have anything that you can't bear to be exposed stored on a personal smartphone.
    Well, it's not like the information has to be top-secret, just private stuff (pictures, saved emails, passwords, etc) that you don't want nosey people (including police with Cellebrite/UFED equipment) accessing. And the "general rule" doesn't apply to a password protected, properly encrypted BlackBerry.
    Last edited by T�nis; 04-02-12 at 10:50 PM.
    04-02-12 10:47 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD