After the CEO said that people really don't care about security it got me thinking.

How many times have we heard that celebrities were getting their phones hacked and losing contact info and pictures of their arses. I don't remember one story that said what phone they were using.

Is BB more secure for that, or is it the end users fault and any phone is vulnerable?

If not maybe RIM should contact some of those celebrities and get them to do a commercial.
    04-02-12 04:07 PM
    It's the users fault...you'd be amazed at how many people never pw lock their devices..

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 04:36 PM
    After the CEO said that people really don't care about security it got me thinking.

How many times have we heard that celebrities were getting their phones hacked and losing contact info and pictures of their arses. I don't remember one story that said what phone they were using.

Is BB more secure for that, or is it the end users fault and any phone is vulnerable?

If not maybe RIM should contact some of those celebrities and get them to do a commercial.
    What kind of security are you trying to get consumers to care about?
    04-02-12 05:48 PM
    Based on the famous Paris Hilton phone hack, as i recall she was hacked over the cell network and i had presumed that applied to many others too

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 06:17 PM
    this is the point i made a long time ago.

then got flamed for saying most 'hacked' phones are iphones.
    04-02-12 06:42 PM
    04-02-12 06:53 PM
    Biggest threat to any device is the user him/herself.

There is a reason RIM doesn't trumpet security
    04-02-12 06:56 PM
    but the question is... could it do the same with a BB phone?
    Does anyone care? I can also right click those pics right off of FaceBook. No one cares.
    04-02-12 07:16 PM
    Most celebrities that are hacked (at least in the Murdoch cases) had their voicemail hacked. Not the fault of their phone. Many don't change the default password or pick an obvious password. Most people don't take security seriously enough.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    04-02-12 07:22 PM
    Absolutely not if the the device is passcode locked and encrypted.
    04-02-12 07:23 PM
    Does anyone care? I can also right click those pics right off of FaceBook. No one cares.
    I dont know... ask all the companies that wont use anything other then BB because of the security...

Yes, companies are starting to use other devices now... but that doesnt mean they are more secure then BB.

Im not sure if there is a way to test the degree of security between the devices or not, but BB has always been the most secure and people know that.
    04-02-12 07:24 PM
    its 99% of the time the user's fault. phones/emails/etc accounts get hacked so easily because of no/poor passwords, poor physical security and also just straight up laziness.

if you have sensitive information on your device, regardless of platform, and it's something that CANNOT be released or seen by prying eyes, why WOULDN'T you use Blackberry, passwords and top-notch encryption?

In my estimation, with 'everyone' using iPhones or android devices, one would think that the "casual" hacker wouldn't even bother with a blackberry, as there are the aforementioned "easier" devices to crack/hack.
    04-02-12 07:35 PM
    its 99% of the time the user's fault. phones/emails/etc accounts get hacked so easily because of no/poor passwords, poor physical security and also just straight up laziness.

if you have sensitive information on your device, regardless of platform, and it's something that CANNOT be released or seen by prying eyes, why WOULDN'T you use Blackberry, passwords and top-notch encryption?

In my estimation, with 'everyone' using iPhones or android devices, one would think that the "casual" hacker wouldn't even bother with a blackberry, as there are the aforementioned "easier" devices to crack/hack.
    thats exactly what i mean.

if you can steal candy from a baby then why try and steal it from the hulk?
    04-02-12 07:36 PM
    I dont know... ask all the companies that wont use anything other then BB because of the security...

Yes, companies are starting to use other devices now... but that doesnt mean they are more secure then BB.

Im not sure if there is a way to test the degree of security between the devices or not, but BB has always been the most secure and people know that.
    Which then underlines his point: people don't care.

I agree with that point. As someone who spent an insane amount of time in corporate safety and security for a major corporation, I can tell you the reason we used to use BBs was not because they were secure.
    04-02-12 07:46 PM
    A BlackBerry with encryption enabled? No way, lol. Even if they could circumvent the password and read the files directly from the hardware all they'd end up with is a bunch of encrypted files. A properly protected BlackBerry's security is unbreakable. (By properly protected, I mean strong password in use and proper encryption settings applied.)
    04-02-12 07:47 PM
    *waiting on someone to say (again) that the US government is leading a conspiracy to get rid of RIM because they are unhackable*
    04-02-12 07:49 PM
    You can go to blackberry.com and get information about blackberry security. On the main page at the bottom is the link "Why BlackBerry?"

This link explains OS7.1 and blackberry security for consumers

Security features - Security Feature Overview - BlackBerry Smartphone - 7.1
    04-02-12 08:04 PM
    *waiting on someone to say (again) that the US government is leading a conspiracy to get rid of RIM because they are unhackable*
    No, governments wouldn't want to get rid of BlackBerry. Otherwise what would they use in instances when security matters? (It probably doesn't matter for your letter carrier.) However, governments wouldn't mind swaying herds of sheeple away from BlackBerry to the less secure platforms. Now banksters, on the other hand, true parasites that they are, would love to scrap and cannibalize RIM.
    04-02-12 08:18 PM
    Which then underlines his point: people don't care.
    LOL, my son has a rooted Android with a couple of banking apps, work email accounts, naughty pictures of his girlfriend, and every text message ever sent him. I showed him a python script linked from a blog post that would allow any literate person with access to a computer to retrieve his pattern lock code, and he just shrugged. Gotta love youth and invincibility.
    04-02-12 08:25 PM
    One of the main reasons I use bb is security.
    04-02-12 08:31 PM
    LOL, my son has a rooted Android with a couple of banking apps, work email accounts, naughty pictures of his girlfriend, and every text message ever sent him. I showed him a python script linked from a blog post that would allow any literate person with access to a computer to retrieve his pattern lock code, and he just shrugged. Gotta love youth and invincibility.
    So do I (except my wife still has her clothes on, LOL). Rooted Android without password. I manage five email accounts, do all our banking and more. Never had a password on my BB, now that I think about it. I also keep all texts.

In any case, my current job function is defined by openness, and since I work with teens and their parents, I am not scared of anyone hacking into my device.

I think that in a post-911 world, people are less concerned with impregnable mobile security. Not a good thing, but probably inevitable. I highly doubt that BBs are as unbeatable as we would like to think, but if RIM does collect info, and we know they will pass information on when compelled to, the argument is moot anyways.
    04-02-12 08:41 PM
    BB security features give me some peace of mind.

I'm on BIS, I have a password, and I have access to BB Protect to wipe the phone if it's lost.
    Last edited by anthogag; 04-02-12 at 08:59 PM.
    04-02-12 08:47 PM
    So do I (except my wife still has her clothes on, LOL). Rooted Android without password. I manage five email accounts, do all our banking and more. Never had a password on my BB, now that I think about it. I also keep all texts.

In any case, my current job function is defined by openness, and since I work with teens and their parents, I am not scared of anyone hacking into my device.

I think that in a post-911 world, people sheeple are less concerned with impregnable mobile security. Not a good thing, but probably inevitable. I highly doubt that BBs are as unbeatable as we would like to think, but if RIM does collect info, and we know they will pass information on when compelled to, the argument is moot anyways.
    Even if RIM collects info that's transmitted, it doesn't collect nor can it access info stored on a user's BlackBerry.
    04-02-12 08:55 PM
    It's a sad state of affairs. There was an iPhone app recently that was found to be accessing and uploading the user's entire address book despite claims that it didn't. It was a major uproar and the people were canceling their accounts so fast that it put this company's future in question. Then it was found that MANY apps were ignoring IOS policies that were supposed to safeguard user information and it was met with a giant collective Meh!... Good news, they're changing that policy now... So hopefully, you might still have some private data left...

Until it costs people actual money, they won't really care...
    04-02-12 09:09 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD