Hi All,

I have noticed that accessing the web using wifi on blackberries is generally very bad. I have tried pinging the ip of the blackberry from a computer and I get around 700+ms. Ive tried pinging an iphone on the same network and I get an average of 70ms and pinging a WM phone returns <10ms. Do BBs generally have bad wifi or is there a router setting I need to change? Thanks in advance
    12-23-10 10:29 AM
    Have the torch and thr 9700. I will say the 9700's wifi is pretty bad. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I think it also depends on the OS too. But my Torch's wifi works pretty good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-10 12:14 PM
    I am week into survival without my Wifi and a sub 1 bar signal. Wifi and UMA work together to provide fast and dependable service.

If you are using Wifi to access BIS, normal for the Bold or Torch, you are including the RIM network in you timing.

To get a fair comparison, configure your Hotspot Browser to use Wifi. That will provide IP access and normal Ping returns.

12-23-10 12:23 PM
    I have had only 4 wifi enabled phones and only one BB. I have to say that my wifi is awesome on the Torch. The only other device that had the same wifi ability was my palm pre. Its easy and automatic compared to nokia.
    12-23-10 12:23 PM
    I could be wrong and will be corrected, but I think the IP for your Blackberry is generated out of Canada. Depending on your location it goes to Canada and back. This could slow things down a bit. Please inform me if I am wrong. Don't have a problem being wrong.
    12-23-10 08:11 PM
    I'm on 9700/6.0.0.418 and pinging both internal and external IP's to my lan average 350ms. My work 9650/6.0.0.415 also shows the same average.

Ping times averaged the same regardless of weather encryption was on or not, and regardless of what type.

Hope this helps.

12-23-10 08:56 PM
    I thought my Wi-Fi was fairly ok. Then just this evening I swapped my old Linksys 11g router with a new Netgear dual-band 11n. All I can say is 'wow'. Email sending and receiving is almost instantaneous. Web pages load almost as quick as my wired coumputer. Ain't a thing wrong with this Wi-Fi. ;-)

12-23-10 09:24 PM
    Wifi is not much faster than my 3g
    12-23-10 11:16 PM
    storm 2 wifi is excellent for me too, the slow browser is well, the slow browser most times
    12-23-10 11:20 PM
    Mine is pretty quick, don't know about the ping, but is good enough for me. I have to constantly reset the router though. An older linsky router G.

I thought the new N series routers were not compatiable with the 9700? I tried my parents N netgear and no matter what I did, I could not get on.

Am I wrong?

12-23-10 11:50 PM
    I searched for "wifi slow" and came up with this thread. I too wondered why my home network with a new N router is slower than when I connect by 3G.

I've had this issue for a few months now. I thought maybe because I had installed the earlier OS 6 leaks but now I am running with the latest Official OS 6 for the 9650 (it's the Sprint release, but that should not matter).

I've been checking my speed with the Xtreme Labs speedtest software and I consistently see my weak (2 bars) 3G signal where my house is located pulling a stronger signal than my Wifi and I'm checking it only a few feet away from the router on the BB.

I was in a Ruby Tuesday's restaurant last week and when I connected through their free AT&T wifi hotspot, I still had a faster speedtest after I turned off the wifi and connected by 3G. I figured it was the speed of their hotspot.

My Time Warner Road Runner connection averages 20-25 mbps.

Anyone think this is a BB wifi setting issue?
    Last edited by expidia; 12-24-10 at 10:06 AM.
    12-24-10 10:00 AM
    The wifi on my Torch is very good. I just recently installed a new router at my house, and it picks up the signal with no problem with a strong connection. Just the other day I was running some errands and had wifi enabled on my torch, I went in and out to several different places and the torch was able to get the wifi signal from all of the stores and other peoples wifi connection. I think in all, I used about 7 different wifi connections.
    12-24-10 10:05 AM
    Works great on my 9000. Plus the Wifi Tools turn it into a great little wifi sniffer. I used to have to walk around with a laptop to test the wifi and look at the settings, etc, now I do it all from my bb. I can even access the management page on the wifi routers if i need to make a change. We use TrendNET routers and access points broadcasting both G & N and haven't seen any BB issues.
    12-24-10 01:35 PM
    I'm using the 9700, WiFi works great and doesn't have a big impact on battery life
    12-25-10 08:09 AM
    Wifi works well on my Torch....depending on the srvc area I'm in and the wifi network I'm using, 3G will be faster or slower than wifi.....
    12-25-10 09:34 AM
    Wifi works great on my 9700, both under OS 5 and BB6. Most of my problems have been with my router firmware.
    12-25-10 09:40 PM
    My Torch's Wifi works greattt!
    12-26-10 12:51 AM
    Wifi on my blackberry works fine, glad I got rid of my belkin mimo router.

12-26-10 01:41 PM
    Sure, wifi "seems" to run great (but how would most of you know it's faster unless you actually ran a speedtest) . . . When I run a "speedtest" on my particular device for both 3G and Wifi my 3G runs "faster".

I'd like to take it in to a Verizon store and have a tech check my settings, but I can't do that until I finally get the "offical" Verizon OS6 release.

I seem to remember that when I had OS5 installed my Wifi was faster. Now on OS6, Wifi is slower than 3G

Rather than just filling up this thread by saying "my Wifi works great on my device" it would be interesting to see some users posting their actually speeds for Wifi vs 3G. Then I would know it's my settings or the Speedtest program by xtreme labs which I don't think is available anymore without a bundle.

Anyone know another speedtest program for a blackberry?

My Brother has a 9700 and is still on OS5 and I know he knows how to run a speedtest and he says his Wifi is much faster than 3G.

I have a feeling it's something to do with OS6 or some setting, but it was slow for me on .333 too!
    12-27-10 09:43 PM
    Seriously guys and girls, read this:

WiFi speeds depend on the internet service provider and if on an active router userd by god knows who, it can affect speeds as others download and uipload, or stream on that same said router or hotspot.

If you are the only one using your wireless router, then your wifi speed will depend on your ISP's actual speeds, however throttled they might be.

12-27-10 09:55 PM
    Sure, wifi "seems" to run great (but how would most of you know it's faster unless you actually ran a speedtest) . . . When I run a "speedtest" on my particular device for both 3G and Wifi my 3G runs "faster".

I'd like to take it in to a Verizon store and have a tech check my settings, but I can't do that until I finally get the "offical" Verizon OS6 release.

I seem to remember that when I had OS5 installed my Wifi was faster. Now on OS6, Wifi is slower than 3G

Rather than just filling up this thread by saying "my Wifi works great on my device" it would be interesting to see some users posting their actually speeds for Wifi vs 3G. Then I would know it's my settings or the Speedtest program by xtreme labs which I don't think is available anymore without a bundle.

Anyone know another speedtest program for a blackberry?

My Brother has a 9700 and is still on OS5 and I know he knows how to run a speedtest and he says his Wifi is much faster than 3G.

I have a feeling it's something to do with OS6 or some setting, but it was slow for me on .333 too!
    I have the same thing going here. Xtremelabs shows about 1.5mbps on a 6mbps DSL line. My laptop on the same router gets the full speed.
    12-29-10 12:33 PM
    I have the same thing going here. Xtremelabs shows about 1.5mbps on a 6mbps DSL line. My laptop on the same router gets the full speed.
    Ya, same here. I can get 1400 on 3G when I'm on my second floor, but only around 234 kbits/s on Wifi and my home network pulls 22-25 MB.

I don't think xtreme labs's speed test works correctly on OS6 anyway, but I don't even use the wifi at home any more because 3G is so much faster on my device.
    Last edited by expidia; 01-02-11 at 06:11 PM.
    12-29-10 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD