While I am Hearing I have Many close ties to the Deaf Community & I`ve seen for myself that nearly All Deaf People chose Blkberry so here is my real question, Where can I get a yellow smilely face that is holding up the one handed ASL sign for " I love you " That would be so cool to have & I have never seen one.
    P.S. I am a Newby here & love the site, I`ve been reading nearly every day since buying a Torch for me & a Style for my Deaf Girlfriend a month ago So thankyou all for your help.
    12-27-10 12:40 AM
    Welcome welcome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 01:12 AM
    I am hearing impaired and still can't hear on my bb lol.

12-27-10 09:14 AM
    There are 4 hearing impaired BB users in my family. while our hearing impairments differ, BB suits all of us the best. The 8330, 8530, 9330 & Style are excellent choices with all having an HAC of M4/T4.

Personally, I'd like to see Crackberry include the HAC of all the BB's that are reviewed.

12-27-10 12:03 PM
    Follow me here Ok...In Canada I can send a text message to a Land line & a computer generated voice will read the message to the recipient....what I want to do is be able to tap text into my phone & have it come back in voice for placing orders with hearing people.
    I'm sure this can be done & I think a Blkberry should be the first phone to do it.

12-29-10 01:15 PM
    http://www.maildover.com/mailtalk.html

you could email yourself something with Mailtalk and then it would say it outloud
    Danimaloxo7 likes this.
    12-29-10 02:00 PM
    Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail has a voicemail transcription service, that the hearing impaired might find useful.
    Danimaloxo7 likes this.
    12-29-10 02:09 PM
    I`ll look in to both suggestions as well I`ll Post My Findings here after I speak to Marilyn Reid of the Canadian Hearing Society & Sgt Glen Peters of the London Police Force Regarding the ability of 911 operaters to respond to text Messages, Text to Voice service Should bring emergency services with in reach of the Deaf community weather they are involved in an accident or first on scene. I think it`s Ok to have a TTY in the house for traditions sake But in todays real world I think we`rejust about done with the TTY.
    12-29-10 11:28 PM
    I thought TTY can be done on a bb?

12-30-10 12:27 AM
    I've never used the TTY except to receive calls thru a Relay Operater
    & I find that slow & annoying,It just takes too long to exchange Info.
    I think the Deaf should be able to type a short message including
    What's wrong & their where abouts hit 911 & know that help is on
    The way. I understand that if you simply dial 911 & say Nothing
    They will come find you aided by your GPS Locater.
    Anyways I'm asking these questions of my Local police force & I wish
    More people would ask their local police the same questions.
    While I am having trouble getting the answers I want I'm not one to
    Let go of an Idea.

12-30-10 12:39 PM
    There is a huge university in DC - Gallaudet. Perhaps they can direct you.

Laurent Clerc Center
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-30-10 at 12:47 PM.
    12-30-10 12:45 PM
    I've never used the TTY except to receive calls thru a Relay Operater
    & I find that slow & annoying,It just takes too long to exchange Info.
    I think the Deaf should be able to type a short message including
    What's wrong & their where abouts hit 911 & know that help is on
    The way. I understand that if you simply dial 911 & say Nothing
    They will come find you aided by your GPS Locater.
    Anyways I'm asking these questions of my Local police force & I wish
    More people would ask their local police the same questions.
    While I am having trouble getting the answers I want I'm not one to
    Let go of an Idea.

I agree, it would be awesome if there were some way to incorporate this type of functionality into the emergency response service.

I worry however that some people would potentially abuse such a service. I'm not speaking about folks in the deaf community, I'm talking about people trying to get their kicks by sending 911 a bogus emergency message, playing something off like a real emergency when there isn't one. Might be one of the reasons something like this hasn't already been put in place (?) who knows...

It is a good idea, it'd certainly be nice for something to be put in place, there is no doubt that there is a need for it. Best of luck with your idea!!!
    12-30-10 02:17 PM
    I'm not hearing impaired, but I think BBs would be good for organization of contacts, schedules, emails and saving text messages in a compact device.

12-30-10 06:01 PM
    Also, T-Mobile used to offer a reduced monthly plan for hearing impaired subscribers who didn't
    need a voice plan, but I don't know if it still exists.

12-30-10 06:34 PM
    Found this guy on here
    12-30-10 08:33 PM
    Got my Girlfriends Style on a pay as you go Plan with bell canada that charges
    $10/month for unlimited Text, She sends Me alone 1000 texts a month & at home she can use the WI-Fi for email But No Data plan so no BBM But for 10 bucks a month I envy her phone bill. Oh Duh...I pay it
    12-30-10 09:55 PM
    I could never type that Fast,I don`t know what I`d say I can`t think that fast let alone type that fast.
    12-30-10 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD