I have their two flagship devices, an unlocked Bold 9900 and a 64 GB Playbook, I know enough about their services despite the fact that I haven't personally used them.

I travel a lot, so I can't have the same carrier for even more than a month. So I would need a new e-mail every single month if I was to use BIS. Or, I could just give my gmail to everyone and have it forwarded to my new carrier e-mail which changes every month seemlessly.
    What you just wrote tells me you don't have any idea what you've got with BIS. So, let's clarify.

1) You don't ever have to have a carrier related email account. That has nothing to do with either your needs or with BIS.

2) BIS is RIM/Blackberry related, not carrier specific. Although carriers will charge for access to it.

3) That gmail account you mentioned becomes a push email account instead of your needing to poll each account, thanks to using BIS. Email in real time.

4) BIS does some encryption and compression. Which means a little more privacy and a smaller data stream.

5) For those reasons, some BB apps are set up to only use BIS.

Hope that helps clarify any misunderstandings.
    12-31-11 12:16 PM
    I don't have a PB. I'm not doubting you. I'm asking so I'll know if I ever happen to score me one. When you say your email is pushed by your isp any where your at. How does that work?
    What I'm invisioning is having a cable isp and using their email. How do they follow me to coffe shop wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Just check your ISP's help pages for the settings. For instance, Time-Warner's are here.

This is for BIS, not for those who do not have BIS.
    12-31-11 01:02 PM
    You're not getting it ... you don't need to use a BIS email account to get your email pushed to your BB. I use my ISP email. You can use any other email service you want and never have to change no matter where you're physically located.
    I do not use the @carrier.blackberry.net address at all.

I have 4 other email addresses added to BIS and use those regularly.
    12-31-11 01:06 PM
    Why did I get a blackberry?

The ability to change your font size and style, something you can only do on blackberry. Unless you're an elite android haxxor.

Android is one big botnet scam. Apple is a 3.5 inch piece of covered in glass.

Neither of them have good keyboards.

though your first post was useless, i like these points!

push is a must with my emails.
    12-31-11 01:20 PM
    I don't have a PB. I'm not doubting you. I'm asking so I'll know if I ever happen to score me one. When you say your email is pushed by your isp any where your at. How does that work?
    What I'm invisioning is having a cable isp and using their email. How do they follow me to coffe shop wifi?

This is exactly what I have -- my personal email account is with my cable ISP. I don't have an email address with either BlackBerry or at&t. Each provider has different ways of setting up email accounts, but they all do pretty much the same thing: define your email address (everything before the @; everything after they assign), and an account password. On my BB phone, I go to Setup > Email Accounts > Internet Mail Account. There you can add one or several email addresses and their passwords. BIS takes care of the rest: once an email account is set up here, BIS pushes that email to your phone. If you have a PlayBook, once you're bridged to your BB phone, the bridge email app just grabs your email from your phone. I'm not sure how it works with multiple email accounts, since I only have one. But wherever I go with my BB and there's a wireless signal or WiFi, I get my email on my phone. If I have my PB within bluetooth range of my phone, I can receive and send email on my PB as well.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    12-31-11 01:38 PM

The NOC server knows at any time where a blackberry device is located, other platform devices need to constantly ping the server to let it know where it is so the server can push the email to the device hence the drop in battery life with other platforms "push email". That's the main difference with BB devices.
    12-31-11 01:46 PM
    The NOC server knows at any time where a blackberry device is located, other platform devices need to constantly ping the server to let it know where it is so the server can push the email to the device hence the drop in battery life with other platforms "push email". That's the main difference with BB devices.
    Wait I must be confused. I thought we where talking about a PB not on a BIS account using say a "charter isp email account"" and charter pushing it to the PB over another isp's connect I.E a coffee shop.
    What I understand this commucation wouldn't be going thru the NOC. I guess what I'm getting at this is still a pull.

12-31-11 04:53 PM
    Step 1. Set up a gmail account
    Step 2. Forward all incoming mail to the e-mail given to you by your carrier
    Step 3. Now you have e-mail you can check both on your Blackberry and on your computer

You won't have attachments, but you can check your e-mail on any computer. Can you even do that on BES email?

I've never used BES, I don't use BBM or any other blackberry services. That being said, do I have a valid argument?
    Whether BIS is worthless, is subjective.
    so, no. You do not have a valid argument. a discussion, maybe. because there is really no point arguing. If you think its not worth your money, just dont use it. Just because you find it worthless, doesn't make it useless for all BB users.
    12-31-11 09:30 PM
    Is this a serious post? Do even know what BES does?

You can directly setup a gmail account with BIS. You don't need to forward emails to the carrier address.

BES links to Exchange servers so you can access corporate email and PIM as you would through Outlook or Lotus!
    12-31-11 11:35 PM
    Is this a serious post? Do even know what BES does?

You can directly setup a gmail account with BIS. You don't need to forward emails to the carrier address.

BES links to Exchange servers so you can access corporate email and PIM as you would through Outlook or Lotus!
    Have I missed something somewhere? If I remember right where talking about not being on bis/bes. So its not going thru any of that.
    I can very well be I'm confussed an if I am please get me straight. I want to know so if I ever get a PB.

01-01-12 03:13 AM
    Have I missed something somewhere? If I remember right where talking about not being on bis/bes. So its not going thru any of that.
    I can very well be I'm confussed an if I am please get me straight. I want to know so if I ever get a PB.

If I'm understanding your confusion, maybe this will help:

PB does not have native email (yet). In its present state, there are only two ways to get email on a PB:
    1, use a web mail client that many email services provide. This does not require BIS, just a WiFi connection and internet access.
    or
    2, bridge to your BlackBerry phone. This does require BIS, as your BlackBerry cannot access email without it.

I'm not sure how native email is going to work on the PB once it is available, but I'm guessing it will be something like it is on the iPad -- that is, just a generic email client similar to what you have on your laptop or desktop pc which you can configure to access any email account you choose. If this is the case and it works outside of BIS/BES, it will probably be pull and not push. Just my guess.
    01-01-12 09:47 AM
    If this is the case and it works outside of BIS/BES, it will probably be pull and not push. Just my guess.
    I think there is a rumor that RIM might include EAS in OS 2 for the PlayBook. So one could still get "push" email when using a webmail provider that can use EAS (like Gmail).
    01-01-12 10:14 AM
    I have a 9900 and a Playbook. My email is freakn' insane!!!! Hope that clears things up.
    01-01-12 05:02 PM
    Let's try that again. I use Thunderbird on my PC's..Home and work. I've had my email accounts for like 10 years and my BB for 4 months. Same email accounts. Thunderbird runs IMAP with Telus so it all syncs up everywhere. What am I missing?
    01-01-12 05:06 PM
    I thought all BB data flow went through either BIS or BES for native applications? There are things I disliked about BIS but also things I miss.

In regards to the data cost savings, on Verizon the BB data plans (unlimited) are $15 more per month than the other data plans. I get worldwide data for one charge period. It does not save any money for me. I think this is the case for most business users.
    01-01-12 06:04 PM
    If I'm understanding your confusion, maybe this will help:

PB does not have native email (yet). In its present state, there are only two ways to get email on a PB:
    1, use a web mail client that many email services provide. This does not require BIS, just a WiFi connection and internet access.
    or
    2, bridge to your BlackBerry phone. This does require BIS, as your BlackBerry cannot access email without it.

I'm not sure how native email is going to work on the PB once it is available, but I'm guessing it will be something like it is on the iPad -- that is, just a generic email client similar to what you have on your laptop or desktop pc which you can configure to access any email account you choose. If this is the case and it works outside of BIS/BES, it will probably be pull and not push. Just my guess.
    Actually this is what I understand. What I'm confused about some statement of pushed email with isp email any where in the world.
    melb_me, your not messing anything. But your email isn't pushed to your PB in your truck out in the field. Your going to have to get on. Wifi connection or bridge to a BB.

01-01-12 08:14 PM
    If you don't like it, why did you even Buy it? BIS isn't useless to me either. Why be a computer addict and never leave the house at all always checking for new e-mail steriodically?
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 01-01-12 at 09:31 PM.
    01-01-12 09:27 PM
    Locked.

If you wish to ask technical questions then start new thread. But this has gone no where since the start.

To much of a mess to clean up here.
    01-01-12 09:38 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD