Step 1. Set up a gmail account
    Step 2. Forward all incoming mail to the e-mail given to you by your carrier
    Step 3. Now you have e-mail you can check both on your Blackberry and on your computer

You won't have attachments, but you can check your e-mail on any computer. Can you even do that on BES email?

I've never used BES, I don't use BBM or any other blackberry services. That being said, do I have a valid argument?
    12-31-11 09:26 AM
    firstly your setting up two email accounts, so thats about as convenient as verzions $2 fee they wanted to do lol. secondly, your carrier gives you an email address? trust me this isnt a global thing, so thats a huge flaw. and lastly, BIS/BES gives you web browsing and push email/BBM/app notifications.

what you are suggesting is going back to checking to see if you have email yourself, and dropping alot of useful service benifits. thats NOT what anyone would call progress.
    12-31-11 09:32 AM
    Step 3. Now you have e-mail you can check both on your Blackberry and on your computer

You won't have attachments, but you can check your e-mail on any computer. Can you even do that on BES email?

I've never used BES, I don't use BBM or any other blackberry services. That being said, do I have a valid argument?
    Then why get a Blackberry at all?????
    12-31-11 09:32 AM
    Answer me this "crack" why do you have a Blackberry at all?.....and then complain. There are still "dumphones" available
    Last edited by spencerdl; 12-31-11 at 09:42 AM.
    12-31-11 09:40 AM
    provocative post aiming to provoke?
    12-31-11 10:01 AM
    I don't have BIS or BES on my BB9930. I have email (funambol and logic mail), use Memo pad and Tasker quite a bit, use Docs2Go quite a bit with all the docs I have there, I use maps, calendar for appointments, take photos when the urge strikes me, and a couple of other apps all WITHOUT the need for BIS or BES. Oh, I use Opera mini for ocassional web surfing or searching so I find my Blackberry quite usefull without BIS or BES also.
    12-31-11 10:09 AM
    is this a joke from 1998?
    12-31-11 10:25 AM
    is this a joke from 1998?
    Either that or someone can't afford BIS
    12-31-11 10:34 AM
    Bis/bes does not make a blackberry. Its just another very useful feature on blackberry. The filesystem, the connectivity to other devices thru usb, and bluetooth. Its a super keyboard. Wrap this in slick likes perfect single hand operation and give it a trackpad to move around. Not to mention useful menus anyand everywhere in the fileing system.
    Call me crazy but a blackberry is a fine device to send and receive calls on. The sms and mms is second to no other. None of this is dependent on bis/bes.,
    As you can see the data pkg is a very small part of the blackberry. The only thing push email has over a client (pull) email is that push is right then. A pop3 type client can be setup just about as fast. So you lose bbm. Really? With all the I'm clients running around we really going to use this as a data pkg leverage?
    I disagree w/ the OP. I don't think BIS is worthless. I enjoy it myself. But it doesn't make my blackberry what it is. Matter of fact really don't notice or think about I'm on BIS. I like blackberrys for the UI. The things we get with BIS just sweetens the pot is all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 10:37 AM
    No, it's not a joke from 1998. In fact, it's super serial.

I mean, I use my blackberry to type up a letter; hook the bb up to my dot matrix printer; print the letter; stuff the letter in a bottle and toss it in the ocean hoping that my penpal in another land-locked country gets it in time so I can wish him a Happy New Year. World economies depend on this stuff daily!

(Btw, Happy New Year!)
    12-31-11 10:57 AM
    Bis/bes does not make a blackberry. Its just another very useful feature on blackberry. The filesystem, the connectivity to other devices thru usb, and bluetooth. Its a super keyboard. Wrap this in slick likes perfect single hand operation and give it a trackpad to move around. Not to mention useful menus anyand everywhere in the fileing system.
    Call me crazy but a blackberry is a fine device to send and receive calls on. The sms and mms is second to no other. None of this is dependent on bis/bes.,
    As you can see the data pkg is a very small part of the blackberry. The only thing push email has over a client (pull) email is that push is right then. A pop3 type client can be setup just about as fast. So you lose bbm. Really? With all the I'm clients running around we really going to use this as a data pkg leverage?
    I disagree w/ the OP. I don't think BIS is worthless. I enjoy it myself. But it doesn't make my blackberry what it is. Matter of fact really don't notice or think about I'm on BIS. I like blackberrys for the UI. The things we get with BIS just sweetens the pot is all.

True and leather seats don't make a Bentley, but its nice to have. A lot of RIM success is based on push email or it would be just like any other company
    12-31-11 10:59 AM
    All phones can send e-mails, just compose a text message and insert an e-mail address where you put a phone number. Anywhere you have phone signal, you can send an e-mail.

Now if you use BBM, then it might be worth it to pay 10 extra per month for BIS.
    I'm pretty sure all carriers give you some type of e-mail.

It usually goes YOURNUMBER at mms. carrier dot net

You forward your real e-mail account to that one, and you have free mobile e-mail. It saves you 120 dollars a year, and you can actually check it on a damn computer.
    12-31-11 11:11 AM

I don't understand the premise of this post?

BIS is far from Worthless, having BIS saves easily $1000/year in data costs due to compression.
    for me as a User of BBM BIS allows me to keep in touch with people all over the world very conveniently as well as my close friends, giving me groups and shared calendars, I do NOT want to use email for this as I can get off a plane and have 100 emails to go through, add to that the chit chat done via BBM, I would never see the end of my inbox,

There is NO obligation to use your Carrier email address, I certainly don't use my mms address as it would cost me to receive emails on it as it is tied to my SMS usage and since I don't use much SMS it I would go over my allotment quickly.

IF your primary accounts are gmail based, and you don't like BlackBerry services, why buy a BlackBerry? there are qwerty based Android devices, (not nearly as nice, but they exist, ) BIS/BES is part of the BlackBerry experience, fortunately there are many good choices out there for you, to pick, Android (google services required), iPhone (iTunes account required) BlackBerry (BES/BIS accounts required)
    wolfee48 likes this.
    12-31-11 11:25 AM
    All phones can send e-mails, just compose a text message and insert an e-mail address where you put a phone number. Anywhere you have phone signal, you can send an e-mail.

Now if you use BBM, then it might be worth it to pay 10 extra per month for BIS.

You forward your real e-mail account to that one, and you have free mobile e-mail. It saves you 120 dollars a year, and you can actually check it on a damn computer.
    <--- is not getting this at all.
    12-31-11 11:27 AM
    Why did I get a blackberry?

The ability to change your font size and style, something you can only do on blackberry. Unless you're an elite android haxxor.

Android is one big botnet scam. Apple is a 3.5 inch piece of covered in glass.

Neither of them have good keyboards.
    12-31-11 11:34 AM
    The op's post about bis being worthless is worthless.
    12-31-11 11:38 AM

It doesn't save you money, mms is not free and quite expensive actually.
    12-31-11 11:45 AM

The ability to change your font size and style, ...
    I'm agreeing with the 1998 thing now and suspect that his non-BIS Blackberry has taken 13 years to send the original post.

IMO anyone who says BIS is worthless doesn't actually understand what BIS is and has probably just received a BlackBerry for Xmas.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    12-31-11 11:47 AM
    I have their two flagship devices, an unlocked Bold 9900 and a 64 GB Playbook, I know enough about their services despite the fact that I haven't personally used them.

I travel a lot, so I can't have the same carrier for even more than a month. So I would need a new e-mail every single month if I was to use BIS. Or, I could just give my gmail to everyone and have it forwarded to my new carrier e-mail which changes every month seemlessly.
    12-31-11 11:51 AM
    I have their two flagship devices, an unlocked Bold 9900 and a 64 GB Playbook, I know enough about their services despite the fact that I haven't personally used them.

I travel a lot, so I can't have the same carrier for even more than a month. So I would need a new e-mail every single month if I was to use BIS. Or, I could just give my gmail to everyone and have it forwarded to my new carrier e-mail which changes every month seemlessly.
    There is no obligation to use your carrier email address though

I don't use mine, for much of anything I have 9 other email addresses connected to my BlackBerry to use
    12-31-11 11:53 AM

The ability to change your font size and style, something you can only do on blackberry. Unless you're an elite android haxxor.

Android is one big botnet scam. Apple is a 3.5 inch piece of covered in glass.

Neither of them have good keyboards.
    Ok, so you still prefer your BB. And you found your own workaround to save in data connection fees, provided you have unlimited sms. Makes sense, for plain text email. We can call this 'BlackBerry on a budget for very short messages'.

However, BIS is more than just plain sms.
    12-31-11 11:55 AM

Most people don't switch carriers yearly, much less monthly. You are far from a typical user based on what you have stated so while BIS may be worthless to your abnormal wireless needs and behavior, it is not worthless to a large majority of people. I travel a lot too, Internationally, and BBM is way more reliable than MMS or SMS between countries, and is included in my International unlimited BB service when I turn it on, along with my gmail. I pay no more per month for a Blackberry BIS service than if I had and iPhone or Droid, but the savings when I travel internationally compared to those alternatives is huge.
    12-31-11 12:03 PM

You're not getting it ... you don't need to use a BIS email account to get your email pushed to your BB. I use my ISP email. You can use any other email service you want and never have to change no matter where you're physically located.
    Laura Knotek and spike12 like this.
    12-31-11 12:03 PM
    You're not getting it ... you don't need to use a BIS email account to get your email pushed to your BB. I use my ISP email. You can use any other email service you want and never have to change no matter where you're physically located.
    I don't have a PB. I'm not doubting you. I'm asking so I'll know if I ever happen to score me one. When you say your email is pushed by your isp any where your at. How does that work?
    What I'm invisioning is having a cable isp and using their email. How do they follow me to coffe shop wifi?

12-31-11 12:11 PM
    However, BIS is more than just plain sms.
    It's also about a heck of a lot more than just Email.
    (No, I'm not including BBM in that statement as I don't see that as important)

Fair enough if someone has valid reasons to choose not to use a bb email address as their main contact email...

...but it's tiresome when people get a new BB and didn't realise it's just a dumb-phone without BIS, or think that BIS is more expensive than non-BIS for a normal BB user.

Has nice fonts though.
    BBThaigurl likes this.
    12-31-11 12:13 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD