Hi,
    I' ma BB user for quite some time now, I learned to love my BB I literally share my bed with it... Got a few of my friends to make the switch from iPhones. Now I operate 2 phones, 9700 runing OS5 or OS6 leaks for testing from time to time and a HTC Desire running Gingerb. My biggest problem is I kinda got a bit paranoid in the last few weeks and got around to encrypting over 1000 GB of stuff with AES and then with Twofish so double encryption best decision of my life, period.
    I'm going to encrypt my user data on my BB and have a nice password for it so that part am great about, the part that I don't like is, and allow me to quote RIM

"Email messages sent between the BlackBerry Internet Service and the BlackBerry Internet Service subscriber's BlackBerry smartphone are not encrypted."

See? The only weak link is well the air my email has to travel and then the server of my carrier and then the whole path all-over the world that air again to the receiving BB.

I would like to be able to encrypt my messages, what I found is only BES users get to encrypt their emails, that's not cool at all! Discrimination I say.

So you smart people do you have any idea how to get my messages encrypted? Do I need to switch to BES? And if do are there any web based BES services with decent support and price plans? Any way of encrypting as a BIS user?

I need the following my message from my BB to another BB, just one.
    And is it possible to get BBM to be encrypted too? (silly I know... But that would be extra cool) I'll settle for email encryption when needed.

maybe an app like BBM for secure messaging? that be cool to...
    Last edited by ivang; 02-03-11 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add the to title, Kubrick would be proud
    02-03-11 04:56 PM
    Hi,
    I' ma BB user for quite some time now, I learned to love my BB I literally share my bed with it... Got a few of my friends to make the switch from iPhones. Now I operate 2 phones, 9700 runing OS5 or OS6 leaks for testing from time to time and a HTC Desire running Gingerb. My biggest problem is I kinda got a bit paranoid in the last few weeks and got around to encrypting over 1000 GB of stuff with AES and then with Twofish so double encryption best decision of my life, period.
    I'm going to encrypt my user data on my BB and have a nice password for it so that part am great about, the part that I don't like is, and allow me to quote RIM

"Email messages sent between the BlackBerry Internet Service and the BlackBerry Internet Service subscriber's BlackBerry smartphone are not encrypted."

See? The only weak link is well the air my email has to travel and then the server of my carrier and then the whole path all-over the world that air again to the receiving BB.

I would like to be able to encrypt my messages, what I found is only BES users get to encrypt their emails, that's not cool at all! Discrimination I say.

So you smart people do you have any idea how to get my messages encrypted? Do I need to switch to BES? And if do are there any web based BES services with decent support and price plans? Any way of encrypting as a BIS user?

I need the following my message from my BB to another BB, just one.
    And is it possible to get BBM to be encrypted too? (silly I know... But that would be extra cool) I'll settle for email encryption when needed.

maybe an app like BBM for secure messaging? that be cool to...
    I don't think that is accurate. We have learned a lot about BIS and BBM through the discussion about security in the Middle East and India.

BIS is encrypted, but all BlackBerry share a common security certificate. Intercepting the data stream is the first step, only the carrier or an agency authorized by the carrier has access to the data stream. Once the data is available, any BlackBerry or BlackBerry simulator can decrypt the message. India has commissioned and recently implemented a bulk decryption solution.

If security is important, BES is the solution. You can arrange for a remote host or you can install the BlackBerry - Enterprise Server Express - Free Download on your own server.

You will have to upgrade your carrier service for BES. Most charge a premium for the service.
    02-03-11 05:09 PM
    see I thought the same cos of India and Saudi Arabia... but this confuses me h
    sorry can't link low post count
    wXw.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03 652&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=3718757&stateId=0% 200%203716689]KB03652-Comparing]KB03652-Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features

Getting BES express might me an option but with just a crappy cable connection at home and no real email server that sucks... but I might resort to hogging a server at my dads company to route my emails... But I would like to see if there might be a simpler way cos at the company we don't have our own email server but I could build my own from scrap
    02-03-11 05:19 PM
    KB03652-Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features

Email messages sent between the BlackBerry Internet Service and the BlackBerry Internet Service subscriber's BlackBerry smartphone are not encrypted. When transmitted over the wireless network, the email messages are subject to the existing or available network security model(s).

When you log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service, the data is transmitted over a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection.
    I suspect that statement is a simplification of the situation. It is much simpler for a layman to understand and it amounts to the same thing. The data can be intercepted and decrypted by authorized parties like Law Enforcement.

Strong encryption (AES or Triple DES) BES data can not be decrypted by third parties.
    02-03-11 05:23 PM
    see that's the funny part what exactly do they mean login to BIS, just browsing or is email included?
    I do understand the part you told me, BB encrypts but any and every BB can, if you intercept the RAW data, decrypt that... With BES you get, well a cert you make and trust... If only there was something for BIS users like that... That would be a life saver... Maybe I should write an APP say a IM/Mail client that imports certificates and sings them something like a PDF reader, you get an attachment with the encrypted stuff open it and read... Very M:I or 007 witch-ever you fancy more and you get desktop support... dam if only I wasn't such a ****ty programmer
    02-03-11 05:30 PM
    exactly do they mean login to BIS, just browsing or is email included?
    You logon to BIS over the Internet through SSL to configure your setting and passwords.

dam if only I wasn't such a ****ty programmer
    LOL, your not alone.

Apparently, there are no programmers in India capable of implementing that either.

UAE and KSA, no problem.
    02-03-11 05:42 PM
    You logon to BIS over the Internet through SSL to configure your setting and passwords.

LOL, your not alone.

Apparently, there are no programmers in India capable of implementing that either.

UAE and KSA, no problem.
    See that Bold(TM ) part? why would that be a problem for a guy with 1500 $? there was a conference not to long ago where they demonstrated how easy is it to hijack a GSM tower and tell your phone "hey it's me your friendly network come play with me and share your encrypted password to your IMAP, I don't care 1 bit about that, but that juicy email encrypted by just standard BB stuff I shall take and run trough a BB simulator and ... your private data..." So kinda blows big time, encrypted passwords wow so not cool RIM!

I really think RIM should care just like 5% more about us BIS users, cos business users are well locked in to them, why don't you give me what I want and I promise like 10 new users! dam it.

Well maybe we should make the app here on CB? And make like a gazillion bucks on people who value their privacy at just .99$ Anybody up for a challenge?
    Last edited by ivang; 02-03-11 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    02-03-11 06:04 PM
    Actually I'm very surprised that this topic didn't spark a bigger discussion? People don't really care about their privacy?
    02-04-11 12:58 PM
    Actually I'm very surprised that this topic didn't spark a bigger discussion? People don't really care about their privacy?
    Because the people who are as paranoid as you are are on BES.

Most people don't care if someone hijacks their emails to friends and family about what's going on this weekend, that trip overseas this past summer, or pictures of the newborn kid. That doesn't even mention that those hackers couldn't care less about those things. If they want to go through the trouble to hack into emails, or whatever, they want to do it to someone who is important and get something good from them, 99% of the people on BIS aren't that special...
    02-04-11 01:44 PM
    Because the people who are as paranoid as you are are on BES.

Most people don't care if someone hijacks their emails to friends and family about what's going on this weekend, that trip overseas this past summer, or pictures of the newborn kid. That doesn't even mention that those hackers couldn't care less about those things. If they want to go through the trouble to hack into emails, or whatever, they want to do it to someone who is important and get something good from them, 99% of the people on BIS aren't that special...
    well I kinda consider myself 1%, anywayz getting BES way easier that doing all the shenanigans
    02-04-11 01:50 PM
    Just build your own Exchange server and drop BESx on it. No App programming skills needed...
    02-04-11 02:18 PM
    Just build your own Exchange server and drop BESx on it. No App programming skills needed...
    yep that is what I'm going to do
    02-04-11 02:25 PM
    Just want to know...are you James bond or something?

This here makes me glad I am in the 99% area....

I could see some reasons for running under BES, but not exactly sure what it is you do...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-11 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD