I wanna know what people think. Is BIS a hinderance or a positive?

Do you think its a breadwinner for RIM or a waste of money?

IMO: I think if RIM scrapped BIS and just went off network data usage they would attract a lot more users. Especially the younger users who cant sign a contract and have to use prepaid where BIS usually isn't available. I think still keep BBM and all the apps and your PIN just scrap BIS and go with Network Data!
    11-11-11 10:10 AM
    RIM evolved in the corporate world with BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) as what remains one of the most secure and corporate-friendly platforms on the planet. BIS is RIM's answer for general consumers who don't want or need BES features.

So it's not just a matter of scrapping BIS. BES and BIS is a way to offer a secure quality corporate product side-by-side with a quality general-consumer product. My vote: Huge props to BIS!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-11-11 10:36 AM
    BIS is what makes battery life traditionally great on BBs, the push email and compressed data require fewer transmits and receives.

As for the prepaid issue, if you HAVE to be on prepaid, i'm really thinking you should be stuck with dumbphones (politically correct to say feature-phone).

I personally have never had an issue with BIS other than a few delayed emails, which is no big deal, just used the gmail web app, or *gasp* a computer..
    zgods1 likes this.
    11-11-11 10:37 AM
    BIS is what makes battery life traditionally great on BBs, the push email and compressed data require fewer transmits and receives.

As for the prepaid issue, if you HAVE to be on prepaid, i'm really thinking you should be stuck with dumbphones (politically correct to say feature-phone).

I personally have never had an issue with BIS other than a few delayed emails, which is no big deal, just used the gmail web app, or *gasp* a computer..
    I must say that you do make a very very valid point to both of you. I mean I think I was definately looking at it in a negative light and failed to see the real positive, but you both real have made me rethink my thought process here

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Guatiao likes this.
    11-11-11 10:59 AM
    In India you can activate BB services on a pre-paid SIM, and it very affordable as well.
    11-11-11 01:27 PM
    Its a huge positive for some international email plans and general limited data plans. It does have its downsides though. Most of them could be fixed if RIM was speedier at releasing the bis upgrades
    11-11-11 01:44 PM
    Send an email from a competing Smarphone (Android or iOS) and at the same time do it with the BB.

BB is near instant, that's why BIS is kewl. You don't buy BlackBerry for the apps, you buy it for the keyboard and the fast communication.
    11-11-11 03:03 PM
    Some great points all round I think!
    11-11-11 04:18 PM
    communication services are working best with Blackberry.
    11-12-11 09:02 AM
    A few million of us lost service for a few days recently
    11-12-11 01:10 PM
    i like BIS. it's not perfect but there's no alternative to it as of now i think, unless web server based email can allow a phone to stay alive and push messages as long battery-wise and as instant as a BB.
    11-13-11 06:12 AM
    BIS is a typical example of RIMs failed product management.

On the first look it works great. If you have a second look, one has to question what RIM was thinking when designing the product. For example, even the latest version cannot handle IMAP folders.
    BIS was once a tool to attack consumers for BBs. But the world changed! Every other smartphone can offer more than BIS.
    RIM simply got stuck in the enterprise world and does not realize how the market has changed.

IMHO, they should offer a massive feature upgrade to BIS. Further more, they should offer a BES suitable for home users. I'm not talking about the BESX. It still requires a full blown Windows Server. Only a few home user own a license for it. Why not offer it as a module for a NAS or a Linux version (maybe with limited support). This would be a way forward.
    11-13-11 07:23 AM
    Send an email from a competing Smarphone (Android or iOS) and at the same time do it with the BB.

BB is near instant, that's why BIS is kewl. You don't buy BlackBerry for the apps, you buy it for the keyboard and the fast communication.
    It is the same speed with most if Activesync is used. Pop3 accounts are getting less and less prevalent. Not to say some do not have them and need them, but there are other options. I get my emails as fast on any of the 3 platforms I have used in the last 5 months.
    11-13-11 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD