Hi,

For a while it has been bugging me what role BIS will play with BB10 devices. We know that mobile fusion takes over from BES in the enterprise (will security be as good..?). What about for the consumers?

I currently like the fact that my data is encrypted strongly etc. Will data no longer be encrypted as strongly and compressed when I get a BB10 device? Or can RIM implement security without it or could BIS infrastructure play a role somehow?

Just a question i can't answer on my own.

Thanks
    08-22-12 04:19 AM
    No one really knows right now if BIS will be used with BB10. I think RIM might remove it from BB10, and implement other security measures using just the standard wireless connections.
    08-22-12 05:04 AM
    I think this configurations are a "win", so why mess with them unless you have to?

Let's wait and see...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-22-12 05:12 AM
    I worry about this too, and I can't believe nobody has pressed this same question of Thorsten Heins. The NOC has been one of the more important aspects of consumer BlackBerry use, surely they wouldn't do away with it? We've seen rumors of it being ditched, rumors of it being implemented for BBM only, who knows?

I just sincerely hope it stays around.

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    newbiee likes this.
    08-22-12 06:05 AM
    BIS Plan won't be needed for emails - for other services, like BBM, social feeds, etc. not clear. Actually I asked a rep of RIM during JAM session but only was told that cannot comment.
    08-22-12 06:11 AM
    Say goodbye to data compression if they don't use the NOC. That's a pretty big selling point for BB; would be a shame for them to lose that one.
    08-22-12 07:48 AM
    It is a great source of revenue so it will remain, I would think.
    08-22-12 10:55 AM
    I think it won't change, BIS is and always attached with BlackBerry so we should not over expect.
    08-22-12 02:09 PM
    BIS is not great for large, data-streaming applications (video, music) it creates an additional bottleneck. Especially over wifi. Over LTE too. BIS does not encrypt either so in a certain way, rest in peace BIS. You deserve it. You were very helpful in days of Edge, 2G....

whether BBM on Qnx uses BIS remains to be seen. I dont think so, because this would mean QNX would run some kind of java app, something RIM said would no longer happen (QNX does not support BB7 applications after all...)
    Last edited by kingbernie06511; 08-22-12 at 03:12 PM.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-22-12 03:09 PM
    It is a great source of revenue so it will remain, I would think.
    yes but carriers dont have to pay it for android or iphones...why would they pay for BB phones if they dont have to for other platforms? This might explain why reps at many stores are no longer pushing to sell BBs, they are pricier to operate for carriers.
    08-22-12 03:11 PM
    BIS is not great for large, data-streaming applications (video, music) it creates an additional bottleneck. Especially over wifi. Over LTE too. BIS does not encrypt either so in a certain way, rest in peace BIS. You deserve it. You were very helpful in days of Edge, 2G....

whether BBM on Qnx uses BIS remains to be seen. I dont think so, because this would mean QNX would run some kind of java app, something RIM said would no longer happen (QNX does not support BB7 applications after all...)
    I thought that BIS data was transmitted using SSL so that it is encrypted? Am I wrong?
    08-23-12 02:39 AM
    While BIS has some advantages, it has also some major drawbacks: You depend forever on RIM services to use some of your device capabilities, storing passwords in RIM servers can be a security issue for some people, among other problems. BIS was a great thing when cellular networks were at their infancy, but today not so much. Having the possibility of accessing services directly (without depending on BIS) is a PLUS, then... they can keep BIS for people who prefer to go that way.
    08-23-12 03:26 AM
    they will most likely has some form of new BIS server.... without it and running only with the carrier they won't have BBM and PIN features. why do you think others haven't been able to replicate a decent copy?
    08-24-12 12:36 AM
    I hope BIS stays and that BB10's native exchange emails etc can utilize it. Currently the exchange on PB bridged to Bold 9900 works a treat so can't see why it would change.

BB10 with BIS, Bridge to PB plus native exchange equals best package on the market :-)

Still yet to uses tablet as good as PlayBook and Bold 9900 keyboard is a gem to use, even if the OS is a little qwirky.

Sent from PB while bridged to Bold9900 over BIS.
    08-24-12 06:45 AM
    As far as I can see (newbie here), BIS is something which goes against consumer market. Why do I have to pay another fee simply to receive email, instant messaging and other things (bbm music? whatsapp?)
    I feel that RIM will cease BIS on BB10, using more general, affordable protocols like active sync or imap/pop, just like many other do now.
    08-28-12 07:52 AM
    Is official, BB VP of Marketing declared in an interview that BB10 does not support BIS: Goodbye BlackBerry Internet Service, African market could look elsewhere | News | HumanIPO
    01-31-13 03:10 PM
    Is official, BB VP of Marketing declared in an interview that BB10 does not support BIS: Goodbye BlackBerry Internet Service, African market could look elsewhere | News | HumanIPO
    Does this mean BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) could eventually be ported to other operating system platforms such as Apple iOS, Google Android, Apple MacOS X, Microsoft Windows (non-server), and even GNU/Linux? Without BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) data compression is an artefact of prior generations and raises questions about the presence or absence of encryption for BBM.
    01-31-13 03:17 PM
    This stinks.
    BIS encompassed BBM, on device browsing, Appworld downloads and app data. In South Africa this was charged at ZAR60.00 (about US$6.75) per month. This was great news as we don't have unlimmited mobile data plans over here and mobile data is relatively expensive compared to US/Europe. This is the main reason BB did so well in countries such as ours and dare I say is more popular than the IPhone(guesstimate). IPhone/Android users had to pay for all of their data usage. While this made BB attractive to consumers IMO it made BB financialy unattractive to cellular networks worldwide. They would earn less revenue due to the inclusive nature of BIS. The average BIS subscriber probably uses more data than his subscription fee would otherwise entitle him to. Vodaphone even went as far as capping BB users' data to 100MB/month. Once again IMO this is a reason networks seem to offer more attractive deals on other handsets as opposed to BBs. Now it seems to appease the networks BIS is being dropped. This may be a catch 22 for RIM but unless the app count (keep in mind quality) and mainstream support is nothing short of extraordinary as well as features and usability is practical, RIM may just be patching up the hole in their ship with paper towels.
    Don't get me wrong I am a 100% BB fan and would rather use a Nokia(sic) before an IPhone(more sic), but only inclusive BBM just won't cut it with majority of users. Alot of us use the browser as well on a daily basis and lets not forget about social networking as well.
    I haven't seen a Z10 as yet but have already pre-ordered mine(due for release end Feb in SA). When I heard that BIS was being dropped on the Z10, I thought that maybe better to stick with my 9800 and PB combo.
    I don't know if RIM thinks that networks will push more deals on the Z10/Q10 since they will now be bringing in similar revenues as other makes. Most people I know chose BB because of the BBM and BIS afordability.
    Dropping BIS has definately got to be due to pressure from the networks.

And yes you're right I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist.
    02-04-13 07:03 AM
    As mamak111 wrote, the main issue for users and BIS are in the places where most people can't afford traditional data plans - ie in Africa and certain Asian countries, a low-cost BIS plan gave nominally 'unlimited' usage for a low flat rate, which sounds to me like the single biggest factor driving the BB's popularity in those places.

There is another article someone linked elsewhere that claims BIS will remain an option in SA at least for the near term, perhaps only on legacy BBOS devices:

BIS deals won�t vanish overnight: BlackBerry
    02-04-13 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD