I am curious about how much carriers worldwide charge for BIS. I've see VIVO here in Brasil is releasing the 1st PAYG Blackberry, and offering it with free of charge 12 months BIS.

So, how much each carrier charges for BIS? Could you guys provide info for both PAYG and Monthly?

For reference the currency used is $1.000-R$1,728

TIM Brasil
    PAYG - R$2,99 ($1.73)/mb
    BIS Light - (IM and Email, no browsing) - R$29,00 ($16.78)
    BIS - R$69,90 ($40.45) - restricted to pre-installed apps. R$2,99 ($1.73)/mb charged everything else.
    No Contract Service - R$29,90 ($17.30)/mb << outrage??

VIVO
    BIS Light (IM and Email, no browsing) - R$24,95 ($14.43) for 3 months, R$ 49,90 ($28.87) thereafter.
    BIS - R$34,95 ($20.22) for three months, R$69,90 ($40.45) thereafter.
    PAYG - They are only offering it free and didn't disclose the price.

Claro (Brasil)
    BIS - R$37,50 ($21.80) for three months and R$75 ($43.60) thereafter.
    I don't think they offer BIS on PAYG

So, BIS is around $41.5 here in Brasil. I got a feeling you guys are going to make me cry with your replies...
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-05-09 at 04:20 PM.
    12-05-09 04:16 PM
    In America, they all charge $30 for a data plan/BIS.
    12-05-09 04:33 PM
    Thanks fabuloso, gotta way wow to the fact and the price. Wish one of them here would offer BIS at $30...

What about Canada and Europe? And the fellows from Asia? How much less are you paying?
    12-05-09 04:40 PM
    12-05-09 04:43 PM
    I have Rogers 6 Gb BIS for $30 plan.

Research in Motion gets a portion of that while my carrier supplies the data.

It is interesting to note, if I add an additional BIS account to my existing plan, the cost is $5 per month. I suspect that is pretty much what RIM is getting.
    12-05-09 05:00 PM
    I have Rogers 6 Gb BIS for $30 plan.

Research in Motion gets a portion of that while my carrier supplies the data.

It is interesting to note, if I add an additional BIS account to my existing plan, the cost is $5 per month. I suspect that is pretty much what RIM is getting.
    That's rather, um, crappy :x I've got 5 BIS accounts + 1 BES on VZW and pay $45/mo (well, my company pays it...) = $30 BIS (unlimited) + $14.99 BES.
    12-05-09 05:02 PM
    In America, they all charge $30 for a data plan/BIS.
    Correction, in America, all carriers except Sprint charges $30 for a BIS data plan.

Sprint includes BIS free. My plan had BIS even when none of the phones on my plan were a blackberry. I switched to a blackberry so I could take advantage of the BIS.

Now, if you wanted BES instead of BIS, Sprint does charge for that. I can't connect to my work's BES with a personal bb, and I'm not going to pay a BES hoster a monthly fee to use their BES, so I'm happy staying with BIS.
    12-05-09 06:23 PM
    Sprint includes BIS free. My plan had BIS even when none of the phones on my plan were a blackberry. I switched to a blackberry so I could take advantage of the BIS.
    Wait, BIS stands for "Blackberry Internet Service." How did your plan include
    BIS when there was no Blackberry on the account?
    12-05-09 06:28 PM
    I think you're referring to the Everything Data plan, starting at $69.99/month. This includes 450 min, with "everything data" included...BIS (If you have a BB on your account) GPS, texting, email, sprint tv, etc. You do not get BIS services if you do not have a blackberry, but obviously if you add a BB to your account with the everything data plan, BIS is going to be included. BIS is included in the pricing structure of this plan at $30. The other $39.99 is your 450min voice plan.

I am grandfathered in on a plan that is $30 BIS(which includes emal/txt/gps/sprint tv, and all the goodies for free and unlimited), and $40 for 450 min. Same plan, before they came out with the Everything Data option. However, i also have 200bonus min for life, a 20% corp discount, and some other goodies, which is why i will not switch to one of these newer plans....

Correction, in America, all carriers except Sprint charges $30 for a BIS data plan.

Now, if you wanted BES instead of BIS, Sprint does charge for that. I can't connect to my work's BES with a personal bb, and I'm not going to pay a BES hoster a monthly fee to use their BES, so I'm happy staying with BIS.
    12-05-09 07:25 PM
    Tmobile Uk - �5 a month for commited BIS plan (doesnt include browsing) or �7.50 a month for a non commited BIS plan (doesnt include browsing.

a lot of plans these days are coming with free browsing so that side of things isnt too bad.
    12-05-09 07:29 PM
    Thanks all for the info on USA carriers. I am sad already to know we're paying way more than the average you guys do.

Spider, how much would it be a full BIS plan, browsing, IMsm push email and stuff?

What about the other UK carriers?
    12-05-09 07:57 PM
    i cant help with other uk carriers sorry, i only know tmo uk -

�5/7.50 is full BIS without browsing

unlimited data plan for browsing is the same price based on commited or non commited.

to use tethering you have to pay �5 more on top of that.
    12-05-09 08:01 PM
    INDIA
    AIRTEL - Rs 1099(approx $24 )
    VODAFONE- Rs 1099(approx $24 )
    TATA DOCOMO - Rs 899( approx $20)
    RELIANCE - Rs 1099(approx $24 )
    TATA INDICOM - Rs 1099(approx $24 )

AIRTEL also offers a prepaid service.
    12-06-09 01:01 AM
    US Cellular charges $24.95 for BIS
    12-06-09 06:17 AM
    Orange UK - �5 a month for 'unlimited'
    that's roughly $8 a month
    14 BRL a month

kind of cheap, ay.
    12-06-09 06:32 AM
    Vodafone UK.

No PAYG option yet.

Commited BIS per month is �10 which is about 29 Brazil Reais.

This includes the BIS function and 500MB per month of data for all data connections, email browsing, apps etc.

BBB
    12-06-09 06:35 AM
    T-Mobile USA $24.99

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-09 07:17 AM

I have Sprint also, but I pay $10/monthly to add BIS to my SERO plan ($30 unlimited Data/Txt/Pic Mail/Tether etc)

Not a bad deal.
    12-06-09 07:38 AM
    Vodafone UK.

No PAYG option yet.

Commited BIS per month is �10 which is about 29 Brazil Reais.

This includes the BIS function and 500MB per month of data for all data connections, email browsing, apps etc.

BBB
    :cry:

R$29...

You guys are being really helpful. Once I have enough data, I'll present on the Brazilian forums and see if we can organize to bring the prices down.

RIM is showing great interest in Brasil. Way I see it, it is a market they could easily dominate as not that many people have smartphones (Chinese analog tv phones do not count) and we're slowly discovering how useful they can be.

The price of the phones and BIS thou is a problem. I have a Curve 8520 which I bought for R$399 ($230) on a contract, only because RIM has an arrangement with VIVO so they can sell it cheap (thus why they are now offering it with free PAYG BIS but then you gotta pay R$1340/$775 for the phone). Next month when my discounts are cut off, the bill is going to be $68.28. How's that for 50 cross network minutes, 100 SMS and BIS?

RIM could easily dominate the market here, but it's gonna have to do something about the prices of the phones (so far, around R$1400), the BIS costs the carriers impose us and maybe work out a deal so we don't get ****ty voice plans when buying a Blackberry on contract.

Keep on feeding me prices please!
    12-06-09 08:04 AM
    :cry:

R$29...

You guys are being really helpful. Once I have enough data, I'll present on the Brazilian forums and see if we can organize to bring the prices down.

RIM is showing great interest in Brasil. Way I see it, it is a market they could easily dominate as not that many people have smartphones (Chinese analog tv phones do not count) and we're slowly discovering how useful they can be.

The price of the phones and BIS thou is a problem. I have a Curve 8520 which I bought for R$399 ($230) on a contract, only because RIM has an arrangement with VIVO so they can sell it cheap (thus why they are now offering it with free PAYG BIS but then you gotta pay R$1340/$775 for the phone). Next month when my discounts are cut off, the bill is going to be $68.28. How's that for 50 cross network minutes, 100 SMS and BIS?

RIM could easily dominate the market here, but it's gonna have to do something about the prices of the phones (so far, around R$1400), the BIS costs the carriers impose us and maybe work out a deal so we don't get ****ty voice plans when buying a Blackberry on contract.

Keep on feeding me prices please!
    wow! it's extremely expensive at your place; with such prices no wonder many people don't use smartphones.
    12-06-09 08:48 AM
    Exactly my point, bluzthyname. The idea here is to bring this to the customers knowledge so we can start making pressure on carriers.

How much is BIS with Airtel India?
    12-06-09 09:23 AM
    Orange UK - �5 a month for 'unlimited'
    that's roughly $8 a month
    14 BRL a month

kind of cheap, ay.

Another Orange UK user here �5 and loving it.

Still dont understand the TMO UK and it NOT including browsing! Is that definate ? Thats rediculous!
    12-06-09 10:23 AM
    Just looked again, I seriously cant believe TMO have split internet and email up.
    �10 a month for email and internet. �5 for each service.

Gawd bless Orange lol
    12-06-09 10:30 AM
    Great to see T-Mobile have their finger on the pulse. Just had the following conversation with one of the advisors.

Michael: Hi there, could you tell me the total cost of BlackBerry email & internet Booster on an 18month contract pls

Chloe: What type of Blackberry?

Michael: Curve 8900

Chloe: Ok

Chloe: Are you looking to order this today?

Michael: no, im just curious on the cost of the total BIS service on the network

Chloe: BIS?

Michael: Yes for the Blackberry

Michael: the service they need to function properly?

Chloe: What is that?

Chloe: The �5 extra is for the Instant email and Blackberry Messenger services. It allows you to receive instant emails on the screen of your phone and also to Chat and send Instant Messages to anyone who also has a Blackberry Phone. It is included on all Blackberry Plans.

Michael: Blackberry Internet Service

Michael: Does that include internet browsing also ?

Chloe: No

Chloe: That is �5 a month

Chloe: If you wanted it.

Chloe: That would be unlimited

Michael: OK, so that would be �10 a month for email and internet? Oh unlimited! There is no cap on the data usage?

Chloe: No ther is not

Chloe: *there

Michael: OK excellent, thank you , you have been very helpful
    12-06-09 10:35 AM
    there is a cap on the data, 1gb a month.
    12-06-09 10:45 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD