Hello!

The problem is simple: I can't connect to BIS over wifi. I had tried everything I found online and no joy! I everything works fine over 3G. The problem is that I am out of the coverage area quite often and 80% of the time on wifi reach. This is what I have so far:

1. I have an active data plan (Over 3G everything works fine)
    2. OS 5.0.0.400
    3. I can connect to wifi and browse the internet (hotspot browser).
    4. No BBM or any service that requires bis works when I am on wifi only.
    5. On services status:
    Blackberry Internet Service: Not connected <-------- problem
    6. On WiFi diagnostics:
    Blackberry infrastructure
    Address used: <blank>
    IP used: <blank>
    Connecting: "X"
    Authenticating router "/"
    Authenticating server "/"
    7. On DNS lookout I can find ANY IP address (yahoo, rcp.na.blackberry.com etc)
    8. The router is 2wire 2701HG-G on "G" mode NOT "b/g mixed"

I know BIS over wifi only (with data plan) is possible and I had seen it. Also it is mentioned on Blackberry's website. BlackBerry - 9700 Specifications - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Specs

Any help will be appreciated
    Last edited by olivercub; 03-16-10 at 12:32 PM.
    03-16-10 11:31 AM
    Seen it on your device?

My understanding is that it has to be provisioned by the carrier.

Edit :
    I also have a data plan and have never had BIS over WiFi functioning (on either of my two WiFi enabled BB's).
    Last edited by PDM; 03-16-10 at 11:37 AM.
    03-16-10 11:34 AM
    Your BlackBerry 9700 is working correctly.

In order to use Wifi for Voice, SMS or BIS, your carrier must support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA).

Currently Rogers and Fido are the only Canadian carriers that offer UMA support.

Wifi can only be used with the Hotspot Browser.

03-16-10 11:43 AM
    Your BlackBerry 9700 is working correctly.

In order to use Wifi for Voice, SMS or BIS, your carrier must support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA).

Currently Rogers and Fido are the only Canadian carriers that offer UMA support.

Wifi can only be used with the Hotspot Browser.

I agree 100% re UMA.

But, what about e-mails and BBM over WiFi? e.g. there are plenty of ATT folk that have BIS over WiFi.
    03-16-10 11:48 AM
    I agree 100% re UMA.

But, what about e-mails and BBM over WiFi? e.g. there are plenty of ATT folk that have BIS over WiFi.
    BlackBerry - 9700 Specifications - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Specs

Wi-Fi802.11b/g enabled
    Wi-Fi Alliance Certifications: WPA/WPA2 Personal and Enterprise, WMM, WMM Power Save, Wi-Fi Protected Setup
    Cisco CCX certification
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry Internet Server
    Direct IP web browsing over Wi-Fi
    Support for UMA
    Humm... I suspect my information is out of date.
    03-16-10 11:55 AM
    That was my first impression that UMA support was paramount to get BIS working (I don't care about voice or SMS over wifi) But I saw a 9700 from AT&T that was using BIS over wifi only (mobile network radio off) and AT&T doesn't offer UMA access like T-mobile does
    03-16-10 11:55 AM
    I'm on at&t and I get a BIS connection over wifi on my 9700. I get emails and browse the Internet but AFAIK can't make calls or receive sms/mms over wifi. In fact my wifi doesn't work at all unless I have a BIS connection. When I first got my phone I had a lot of trouble getting and maintaining a BIS connection over wifi but lately it's been better.
    -Tom

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-10 10:55 PM
    Me too I'm with ATT and can connect to BIS over wifi.

03-16-10 11:52 PM
    I'm on at&t and I get a BIS connection over wifi on my 9700. I get emails and browse the Internet but AFAIK can't make calls or receive sms/mms over wifi. In fact my wifi doesn't work at all unless I have a BIS connection. When I first got my phone I had a lot of trouble getting and maintaining a BIS connection over wifi but lately it's been better.
    -Tom
    Exactly the same situation, yet sometimes it takes forever to connect to BIS using WiFi.
    03-17-10 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD