Hi there

Not so long ago I got myself a Blackberry Curve 3G and now I'm wondering if I would take a BIS or just a normal data plan. I have Gmail, so for emails I can just use the Gmail app.

What are the other advantages of BIS? Maybe a list of apps? I know that facebook app will work with a BIS. Also BBM will work, but I don't know much about that app yet. And I don't know anyone else with a BB with BIS ...
    05-15-11 04:56 AM
    BIS!!!!!

not to mention, most carriers will require the use of a BIS data plan if they see you using a BB on their network. sometimes, they will automatically add the BIS feature for you. having BIS (BBM, push email, all apps working, AppWorld, browser) all outweigh just being able to use just the plain internet through Operal. a blackberry is naked without it. just use BIS for one month, i bet you wont wanna get rid of it.
    05-15-11 05:11 AM
    Okay, any other opinions?
    05-15-11 07:06 AM
    Without BIS, btw getting it on May 18th when my SP will rollout the service, able to use native browser, AppWorld. Not using BBMaps anyway, as Google maps work great for me.
    On the top of that do have push mail, a third party solution, which no matter is in beta is working really well. The only "function" of BIS-enabled BB do not have is BBM - for me not a big deal as most friends and partners on iOS or Android.

Without BIS will experience "network drop/broken net" syndrome, which means you will need to "battery pull" your Curve from time to time to get Internet back.

At the moment do not feel I miss a lot without BIS, will get the service just to "taste" it. If find no much value to me, will get back to non-BIS enabled use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-11 07:11 AM
    You need BlackBerry Data Plan in order to get BlackBerry Data features such as email, BlackBerry Browser, Facebook, Twitter, all the Google apps, BlackBerry App World, etc.
    05-15-11 07:12 AM
    I see no point in having a BB without BIS. Might as well just get a phone with a QWERTY keyboard and internet access (that's probably cheaper).

05-15-11 08:21 AM
    Hi there

Not so long ago I got myself a Blackberry Curve 3G and now I'm wondering if I would take a BIS or just a normal data plan. I have Gmail, so for emails I can just use the Gmail app.

What are the other advantages of BIS? Maybe a list of apps? I know that facebook app will work with a BIS. Also BBM will work, but I don't know much about that app yet. And I don't know anyone else with a BB with BIS ...
    To answer the actual question at hand, you should absolutely get a blackberry specific data plan (bis). Getting a normal smartphone data plan will only allow you to use 25% of the device's features... If you want a true blackberry experience, than bis is the way to go...

05-15-11 12:29 PM
    BB without BIS is almost like not having cellular network access. It makes the device useless IMO.
    05-15-11 03:38 PM

You can use your browser on 711 $10 unlimted browsing, as well as many apps.

there is a sneekly little thing called http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-609367/
    07-14-11 10:22 PM
    This question is kind of foreign to me ... is it just Canadian cell phone providers that do not charge extra for a BIS data plan? Here you pay for the amount of data you use, and its the same for BB, iphone, Android, etc.
    07-14-11 10:39 PM
    I'll mention a few other factors that are especially important to me:

In terms of security, BIS automatically encrypts your email, ims and various if your server supports SSL. There is also BIS monitoring to ensure stable connection and security.

For data efficiency, BIS compresses your data. From various Blackberry sources, Blackberry's data efficiency is 5-10 times more efficient than an iphone or android. Very useful, especially since many companies are imposing data caps and throttles.

I agree with the rest - if you do not get BIS, your Blackberry is NOT a Blackberry. If you get a Blackberry without BIS, you are better off getting a normal phone.

On the other hand, you may want to look at Virgin Mobile USA. Effective July 19th, they will be dropping the extra charges on BIS, making it perhaps the best BIS value in the country.

07-14-11 11:26 PM
    Well, a blackberry without the BlackBerry Internet Service is absolutely nothing. It's like buying a Ferrari and driving it at 10 miles an hour. I agree it costs to have BIS and there are workarounds to get limited data connectivity on the device but that's simply a waste of time and as others pointed out. Get a Nokia Qwerty instead.
    07-15-11 12:59 AM
    I have a curve on a prepaid plan with no BIS. I can't use the twitter or facebook apps, but never did anyways (I use socialscope). Besides, there are apps out there that do work on fb and twitter without bis.

I also can't use BBM. I really don't care, because I use text instead. The only time I ever used BBM is when I did have BIS, and did not have a texting plan.

I can't use MMS messaging. However, I can use my email app to email them a pic at theirnumber@tmomail.com or theirnumber@vzwpix.com or whatever provider they're on. (I never really use MMS, so it doesn't make much difference to me)

I can use App World on my newest phone. I don't know why, but it does work. I bought this phone two weeks ago, wiped it and installed the newest OS, updated app world, applied for an account, and have so far downloaded about twenty apps to play with. I know it's not supposed to work, but it does. I even updated app world two days ago, and it still works.

That said, you can get most things you need straight from the developer's site, or other sites, so app world isn't that big of a deal to me anyways.

I DO have push email. No, it's not "super duper" secure, I suppose. But, I don't think it matters so much in my case, since I don't use my email for anything that important. If you want, you can use funambol, and run a server off your home computer. That will give you push email, and you run the server, so that pretty much takes care of the whole "security" problem.

I can use the BB Browser on both data and wifi.
    I can use the built in email app on both data and wifi WITH push (shangmail)
    I can use Funambol with a home server for push email. (I use shangmail now, though)
    I can use Opera Mini on both data and wifi.
    I can use Google Voice on both data and wifi.
    I can use Google Maps on both data and wifi.
    I can use Shazam on data and wifi.
    I can use QR Code scanner on data and wifi.
    I can use Cardstar or Key Ring on data and wifi.
    I can use every game I've played on data and wifi.
    I can use socialscope on both data and wifi.
    I can use a lightweight, "modified" version of Google Talk on both data and wifi (btalk), or I can use IM+ for everything on both data and wifi.

I have used all of this stuff on three different blackberries, with no problems. As I mentioned, app world didn't work on two of the three, but everything else does.

I have yet to find a game or app on app world that did not work without BIS. I'm sure there are a few, but it's not as much of a problem as many will have you believe.

As for gmail, official FB app, or the official Twitter app? I have no use for them anyways, so I really don't care.

I can use nearly everything, even though I keep reading a lot on these forums saying that I can't. They would lead you to believe that the phone is nearly useless, but don't believe it.

There is actually very little you can't do with a regular data plan that you can on bis. Is BIS easier to setup? sure. It's also more secure, if you use your phone for business. But, let's face it - if you use internet email, security breaches are not likely to be due to your phone.

I need a phone that can open office documents and edit them.
    I need a phone that can do email, and I hate having to open a browser to do it.
    I need a phone that I can type on easily.
    I want a phone that doesn't freeze on me while typing or using an app.
    I need a phone that seamlessly grabs on to the wifi spots I have programmed without me having to worry if I'm still on cell data or not.
    I want a phone I can use socialscope with (yes, I did miss this app on my other phones a lot).
    I need a phone that can take some abuse (have yet to find a touchscreen that holds up to muddy fingers)
    I want the trackpad, which does actually hold up well to muddy fingers, and makes it easy to navigate items with muddy fingers.
    I need a phone that doesn't have strange "glitches," like alarms not going off, or ringers suddenly not working, or memory cards deleting mysteriously. So long as I pull my BB battery once a week, I have none of these problems.
    I want a phone that will not have a dead battery at 3:00 in the afternoon without turning off auto wifi, updates, email, etc.

So, yes, there are plenty of reasons to own a BB without BIS. And, considering I only pay for the data I use, and only use about $3 of data a month, it would be foolish to **** away the extra money it would cost me for a BIS plan.
    gotonenow likes this.
    07-15-11 08:56 AM
    This question is kind of foreign to me ... is it just Canadian cell phone providers that do not charge extra for a BIS data plan? Here you pay for the amount of data you use, and its the same for BB, iphone, Android, etc.
    US carriers too. At least the main ones like AT&T and T-Mobile. BIS does not add any cost to any monthly plan.

07-15-11 01:50 PM
    well... who ever says you shouldn't have a BB if you don't want to pay is crazy.

I got a bold 9700 on ebay for $75. It's cheaper than an ipod or a cheap new phone.

I can use it around the world, on wifi, I can change sd cards for music and stuff, I can change batteries, i like the keyboard.. I have it on a $10 711 unlimtied browser and use it well.

Paying that much a month is about the same as I spend on food a day in thailand in the winter lol... suckers. Sorry but you are.

BB are getting even cheaper, I can't give my old curve and pearl away.

But anyways, I own my phone, I don't own any Canadian phone company a cent and i boycott them on purpose by using pay as you go 711 and not using my phone much at all.

I see that android would be better for me but I couldn't get one for the price of this bold, I really did pay that and nothing was wrong with it, look up surplusbydesign in toronto on ebay.

So yes, a bb can tranfer songs by bluetooth on and off (no itunes lock down) I can edit my event posters with apps...

Its basiclly a handheld computer for me with wifi and I am learning everyday how to get it out of jail, as I own this machine I have every right to make it work the way I want it, they haven't stolen my freedom to use my tools yet.
    07-15-11 03:27 PM
    In that case, I don't understand why people are even bothering to try running a berry without BIS. I just don't see the benefit.
    07-15-11 03:29 PM
    ps, for some reason on my bold app world is working.. all apps are working over the cheap $10 unlimited browsing and wifi for about 4 or 5 hours before it won't and I have to reset my phone (battery pull but with software) I guess I don't mind now that I know its just the way it is if I need to use say mobliegmaps I just restart the phone and take a deep breath and wait a min.. no biggie.
    07-15-11 03:31 PM
    alberta, I don't need anything that BIS does .. but all the features that work without a sim card work fine.

For instance MUSIC - I can tranfer songs without itunes rules. I can change the sd card, the battery (i have several) i can surf the net on wifi just like my laptop, it has a 3g data connection for $10 a month from 711, I can type on it great, I can edit posters for my shows in the palm of my hand, I can take nice video and great pictures, I can use it as a external hard drive to transfer files, I use it as an alarm clock, I edit word files, I use it as a flash light, I watch movies on it on the road including youtube over wifi or 3g, I can download songs from soundcloud, I use the calander and todo lists that sync with my mac easily..

I don't like push email (i check it 2 times a day max, or try to limit myself, don't use bb messanger, I use other map program

there is nothing BIS can do for my life other than cost me lots of money and make companies rich that I don't want to support.

Get it ? Its my ipod,camera,internet surfer, alarm clock, pda... blah blah

Your all just mad cause your getting ripped off for somethign you don't need and you are sitting there on yoru laptop at the end of the day on wifi wondering why you even want to be bothered all day by this cancer causing device that sits in your pocket.
    07-15-11 03:37 PM
    BIS!!!!!

not to mention, most carriers will require the use of a BIS data plan if they see you using a BB on their network. sometimes, they will automatically add the BIS feature for you. having BIS (BBM, push email, all apps working, AppWorld, browser) all outweigh just being able to use just the plain internet through Operal. a blackberry is naked without it. just use BIS for one month, i bet you wont wanna get rid of it.

Not 711 speak out, call them they are more than happy to put you on a $10 a month unlimited browsing plan. Also in Thailand they will trip over themself to provide you with unlimited unrestricted data for $3 a month..

don't kid yourself, it costs them hardly nothing to provide this service, its the most profit on any product in the history of man.
    07-15-11 03:40 PM
    Kuurde - May I ask what country you are in (carrier) and what do you want from your phone? It might make a difference if you don't need/want all the features or if the service without BIS might be spotty.

Not all BBs work without a BIS. I had to go back to my iphone for a few days. When they switched me back to my Torch, they didn't change the plan back to BIS. Internet was a hit and miss, I couldn't get push email or texts (if you like those features), etc.

Depending what carrier you are with and what you want out of your phone will help greatly to clarify which might be better for you. Take a look at your situation and see what you want from your BB. Then look at the plans and see if one is more beneficial than the other. Good luck!
    07-15-11 04:47 PM
    BB are getting even cheaper, I can't give my old curve and pearl away.
    There is still very much a market for BBs, you just need to know where to sell them. I've sold 2 BBs in the past week to people on here, they haven't lost their value at all it's just a matter of recognizing where the customers you're aiming to sell to are located.
    07-15-11 04:51 PM

Your all just mad cause your getting ripped off for somethign you don't need and you are sitting there on yoru laptop at the end of the day on wifi wondering why you even want to be bothered all day by this cancer causing device that sits in your pocket.
    Who said anything about being mad? Anyway ... if you're happy with what you've got then good for you.

I *need* BIS because I use features that are dependent on BIS.
    07-15-11 05:35 PM
  23. T
    I myself use BIS, and I need the unlimited calling that my carrier's plan provides, but kudos to the underdog. I'm always pleased to read when someone finds a way to make what he wants happen. If he appreciates the BlackBerry as a device, and it's enough for him even without the BlackBerry data plan, that's a credit to BlackBerry all day long. I smiled as I read the several accounts of BlackBerry/pda resourcefulness. And it could come in handy some day!

07-15-11 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD