Hi everyone,

first of all, I know this question must have been asked million times before but it's really important to me to be sure about this so that's why I made another thread.

I have my Blackberry for over a month now. I've been in love with it, honestly. Till now I had a data plan, but not a BIS. Just a simple O2 data plan which costs cca 8 dollars a month (FUP: 150 MB). I'm a student so I wasn't sure if I could afford to pay BIS monthly, but yesterday I got a part-time job and decided to activate BIS on my phone. It would cost cca 17 dollars a month. The thing is: I want it mainly because of push e-mail. BUT I only have one e-mail and that is on Gmail which from what I've read isn't very friendly with BIS yet. Is it true? I don't wanna pay for BIS without Gmail working properly.

I also want BIS for better access to applications. For example Facebook app. I was told 1.6 would work on a device without BIS but it won't work on my phone. Then I found out it works only on touch screen/trackball devices and mine has trackpad.

And another thing: App world is not available in Czech republic yet but I downloaded it but it doesn't work cause it says "upgrade data plan" ... which means (I guess) it needs BIS, right?

Thank you in advance. I'll appreciate any answer. I'm really not a rich person so I can't afford paying for BIS without working as it should. Thank you once again.
    02-12-10 09:18 AM
    BIS and gmail works a charm for me. Infact I use a couple of Gmail accounts simultaneously and have never faced any prob whatsover.Take the plunge.
    02-12-10 09:40 AM
    Hi everyone,

first of all, I know this question must have been asked million times before but it's really important to me to be sure about this so that's why I made another thread.

I have my Blackberry for over a month now. I've been in love with it, honestly. Till now I had a data plan, but not a BIS. Just a simple O2 data plan which costs cca 8 dollars a month (FUP: 150 MB). I'm a student so I wasn't sure if I could afford to pay BIS monthly, but yesterday I got a part-time job and decided to activate BIS on my phone. It would cost cca 17 dollars a month. The thing is: I want it mainly because of push e-mail. BUT I only have one e-mail and that is on Gmail which from what I've read isn't very friendly with BIS yet. Is it true? I don't wanna pay for BIS without Gmail working properly.

I also want BIS for better access to applications. For example Facebook app. I was told 1.6 would work on a device without BIS but it won't work on my phone. Then I found out it works only on touch screen/trackball devices and mine has trackpad.

And another thing: App world is not available in Czech republic yet but I downloaded it but it doesn't work cause it says "upgrade data plan" ... which means (I guess) it needs BIS, right?

Thank you in advance. I'll appreciate any answer. I'm really not a rich person so I can't afford paying for BIS without working as it should. Thank you once again.
    1. BIS and Gmail work great together, instant delivery of your e-mail messages everytime. Whomever told you differently doesn't know what they're talking about.

2. The Facebook app works on all BlackBerry devices regardless of if they use the Trackball, Trackpad, or Touchscreen (SurePress). Make sure that you downloaded the correct FB version for your device. What I mean is make sure you download it thru your phone, you can get it from the FB site.

3. Yes, you need to have BIS to use App World.
    02-12-10 10:03 AM
    2. The Facebook app works on all BlackBerry devices regardless of if they use the Trackball, Trackpad, or Touchscreen (SurePress). Make sure that you downloaded the correct FB version for your device. What I mean is make sure you download it thru your phone, you can get it from the FB site.
    I know I can get it from the FB site. I can download 1.7, but when I try to download 1.6, it always tells me "Unsupported device". I also tried installing a few 1.6 apps from the 3rd party apps forum and none of them worked on my 8520.

Anyway, thank you a lot for your answers. I'm glad to see gmail works well.
    02-12-10 10:08 AM
    Can I ask why you're trying to download 1.6 instead of 1.7? I know that some people liked 1.6 better than 1.7, but if 1.6 won't work for your device then... You get my drift.
    02-12-10 10:10 AM
    Can I ask why you're trying to download 1.6 instead of 1.7? I know that some people liked 1.6 better than 1.7, but if 1.6 won't work for your device then... You get my drift.
    Because I don't have BIS yet and I read 1.6 could work even without BIS while 1.7 is only for BIS-devices.
    02-12-10 10:11 AM
    Can you tell me where you read that? I can't imagine that's true, expecially since the FB app is developed by RIM, I would imagine that it would only allow for usage if you have BIS. That's probably the issue you're having with it saying "unsupported device" because it's not recognizing that you have a BIS account, since at the time you downloaded you didn't.

Also, the FB app relies on the push e-mail to recieve your notifications, so without a BIS account, the app wouldn't be able to alert you when you get a new comment, wall post, or whatever, so even if it did work without BIS, you'd only be able to check your news feed, and possibly update your status, but like I said, I don't even think that's possible with any version of the FB app.
    02-12-10 10:20 AM
    Can you tell me where you read that? I can't imagine that's true, expecially since the FB app is developed by RIM, I would imagine that it would only allow for usage if you have BIS. That's probably the issue you're having with it saying "unsupported device" because it's not recognizing that you have a BIS account, since at the time you downloaded you didn't.

Also, the FB app relies on the push e-mail to recieve your notifications, so without a BIS account, the app wouldn't be able to alert you when you get a new comment, wall post, or whatever, so even if it did work without BIS, you'd only be able to check your news feed, and possibly update your status, but like I said, I don't even think that's possible with any version of the FB app.
    Okay, but why can I download 1.7 then when I don't have BIS?

1.7 Requirements:
    Access to Browsing Service. If you don�t have access to Browsing Service, download Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones v1.6
    BlackBerry - Facebook - Download Facebook for BlackBerry
    02-12-10 10:26 AM
    Hmm, I never knew this! Interesting, thanks for the link!

It sure doesn't make any sense that you'd be able to download 1.7 and not 1.6, and unfortunately, I don't have any kind of answer for your problem! However, didn't you say that you're going to be adding a BIS account to your plan? This would certainly eliminate any problem...
    02-12-10 10:29 AM
    Hmm, I never knew this! Interesting, thanks for the link!

It sure doesn't make any sense that you'd be able to download 1.7 and not 1.6, and unfortunately, I don't have any kind of answer for your problem! However, didn't you say that you're going to be adding a BIS account to your plan? This would certainly eliminate any problem...
    Yees, I'm probably going to activate it tomorrow. I'm sick of downloading apps which won't work without BIS.
    02-12-10 10:32 AM
    Gmail works flawlessly on my BB. I have both my work e-mail (which is on microsoft exchange) and Gmail e-mail set up here and i consistently receive my Gmail e-mails a few minutes before my work e-mail.
    02-12-10 10:42 AM
    Gmail works flawlessly on my BB. I have both my work e-mail (which is on microsoft exchange) and Gmail e-mail set up here and i consistently receive my Gmail e-mails a few minutes before my work e-mail.
    Great, thank you.
    02-12-10 01:55 PM
    I currently switched to BB. I also am an avid user of GMail. I sent up GMail on my phone and push notifications is pretty solid! I can't complain. The only downfall I have is that when messages are checked ON the device, it stays as 'unread' on the computer. Other than that, PUSH e-mail is lightning fast for me.
    02-12-10 02:09 PM
    The only downfall I have is that when messages are checked ON the device, it stays as 'unread' on the computer. Other than that, PUSH e-mail is lightning fast for me.
    I've got Gmail, and when I read a message on my Tour it shows read in my physical inbox. You may want to re-setup your e-mail on the device...
    02-12-10 02:53 PM
    gmail works great with BIS. there have been times where I have been sitting on my laptop with the gmail website open, and my BB next to it - and the emails will hit the BB BEFORE they come into the gmail website
    02-12-10 04:08 PM
    Gmail was great on my phone, but I deleted it because I actually didn't want that
    account to be pushed to my Blackberry. I only read that email occasionally... not
    everyday, like my other accts.
    02-12-10 04:51 PM
    Haha, dollface, that's great. I mean I'm really happy I haven't gotten any negative responses yet. Thanks everyone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Lady_Jane; 02-13-10 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling.
    02-12-10 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD